Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-05-2020, 12:44 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Unhappy Linux POP_OS install crashing

Hello all,

I'm new here and trying to install p99 on my POP_OS system. (hardware: a Razer Blade 15 2018 with an older 24" external 60hz monitor) I've been running POP_OS 20.04 on this machine for several months with very few problems and usually install game through Steam. The few problems I had were more due to my newness to this distro than probs with the machine. (I used to use Manjaro)

My p99 install issues
-------------------------------
1. Tried using Lutris to install at first
a. The p99 install script crashes(made ~4mo. ago last edited ~4 days ago) It has one comment from 1 month ago that mentions the exact issue I ad with it.
b. The script crashes when trying to access the p99 files v53 with a permissions error message.
2. I next tried using PlayonLinux front end wrapper to install it.
a. Under a 32bit environment with default, 2.0, or 2.1 staging the install starts, but crashes/locksup
b. I tried a 64bit environment, just to see, and it was worse. I tried it even though I understand a 32bit win7 environment is prefered for p99, but I was taking stabs in the dark at this point.

3. For BOTH methods I made sure to install MS core fonts, d3dx and d3dx_43 files.

I am running out of ideas and hope their is a fellow "linux nerd" around with more skills than me to provide some options for me.

In the meantime, I am going to try various wine staging versions in the 32bit environment and see if that helps get me through the install using PlayonLinux. If anyone knows of a wine staging version that has worked for them, please let me know as there are A LOT of versions....hehehe

I have been a watcher of various Twitch and Youtuber people for P99 and love the content. I simply can not stand EQLive anymore and feel very grateful for all the good work this community has done. I hope to become a part of it soon and contribute what I can.

Peace out.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:10 AM
Aviak

I haven't tried POP_OS. However, this guide I wrote seven years ago still works today on Ubuntu:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=126081

Of course, you would use the latest P99 Files distribution, but everything else looks right.
Do you encounter issues with this approach?

EDIT: I didn't realize this was a duplicate thread.
Last edited by Ruien; 09-08-2020 at 01:16 AM..
Old 09-08-2020, 10:33 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thank you so much. I'll give it a try when I get the time.
It gave me a few ideas where the problem might be.

Sorry for the double post. I've never posted here before and didn't see my first post go up, and when the 2nd post didn't show up in a search I figured something in my Brave Browser was blocking it.

Thanks again.