Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Large Bat

Default No paladins of the Tribunal?

I am honestly very confused. Why do The Six Hammers, the God of JUSTICE of all things, not have any Paladins at all? Followers of this deity are "...methodical, patient, and just." It's just something that I noticed, The Tribunal is one of my favorite deities, and was curious if there is an over-arcing reason for it.

Thoughts?

Source for the quote: http://wiki.project1999.com/The_Tribunal
Old 03-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Fire Giant

My guess, would be that it's only an option for barbarians, who can't be paladins. While I think a barbarian paladin would be cool; that isn't very logical. They are fairly opposite, really.

As far as other races worshiping The Tribunal, that's probably frowned upon for being uncivilized, not in tune with nature, or not evil enough....

Also, the Paladin would get his powers from the cleric line/deity...and The Tribunal doesn't really fit that.

This is just my opinion though. I have no sources or facts to back it up. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Planar Protector

I don't know about game lore, but maybe the so-called Justice gods aren't very nice (aren't they the guys who looked like medieval versions of Darth Vader during the Planes of Power expansion??). "Barbarians" suggests a primitive culture, anyhow. The quasi-mythical Paladins of our own history (Charlemagne's retainers, etc) were defined by their chivalry as well as their piety; primitive cultures couldn't really produce them by definition. The Barbarians, including their rather pagan-esque "tribunal" of gods, strike me as more akin to pre-christian scots or norsemen. I don't think they're going to be particularly civilized; they seem more apt to rush into battle covered in woad, screaming obscenities, madly hacking off limbs and heads while their priests conjure up various incantations and charms to protect them.

Danth
Old 03-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Banned

The devs commented back in the day about how they forgot to include Paladin as a class option for Barbarians. But it was part of the original design given their main deity.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:03 AM
Planar Protector

Do you think that big empty quarter of Halas, where they ended up putting beastlords, perhaps was meant to be the guild area for paladins (or more likely, was meant to be the shaman area and paladins were meant to get the church?)

I like the suggestion that The Tribunal isn't nice. Perhaps it is more about 'revenge' justice, than fairly resolving disputes?
Old 03-04-2016, 01:22 AM
Aviak

Another player from the original release here: I vaguely remember them saying it was originally intended to allow Barbarians to be Paladins, the lore originally stated the "Barbarian" race was born from some sort of freaky Marr twin Union. But then later in development it was decided it made little sense given that EQ Barbarians were inspired by brutal and savage dark age Scots and Celts. Plus the EQ barbarians primarily worshipped The Tribunal which were described as harsh "Eye for an Eye" style vengeance deities favoring things like assassination not the legalistic version of justice that might inspire a paladin.

It's too bad, I definitely would have played a Barb paladin back in the day. Not just for Slam, those silver steel plate wearing barbnarians in the cities always looked the most Paladin-like to me.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Another player from the original release here: I vaguely remember them saying it was originally intended to allow Barbarians to be Paladins, the lore originally stated the "Barbarian" race was born from some sort of freaky Marr twin Union. But then later in development it was decided it made little sense given that EQ Barbarians were inspired by brutal and savage dark age Scots and Celts. Plus the EQ barbarians primarily worshipped The Tribunal which were described as harsh "Eye for an Eye" style vengeance deities favoring things like assassination not the legalistic version of justice that might inspire a paladin.

It's too bad, I definitely would have played a Barb paladin back in the day. Not just for Slam, those silver steel plate wearing barbnarians in the cities always looked the most Paladin-like to me.
i thought i was the only one who thought barb should get pally!
barb getting pally would be by far the best pally for min/maxing and pvp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune View Post
Dance puppets dance.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Aviak

Whether it was an "oversight" or part of the "vision" that prevented Barbarian Paladins from being a thing, I still remember losing a lot of interest in EQ around the time it was decided suddenly Halflings and Frogloks were the Paladins Norrath had always needed.

Well, either it was that or the total lack of free time after college.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Large Bat

Maybe The Tribunal does not have divine power?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Banned

Hey, you know, epics were given lvl 46 requirements because it was "intended". Maybe they will implement paladin as a playable class for barbarians. It was intended after all.
Closed Thread