Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Better farmer, enc, nec or mage?

Post your thoughts and more importantly why. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:34 AM
Fire Giant

Enchanter if you are ok with getting killed from time to time. Necromancer for a bit less options but a lot more survivability. Mage is not really great at farming, but it's easy mode and nice if you feel lazy.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanter if you are ok with getting killed from time to time. Necromancer for a bit less options but a lot more survivability. Mage is not really great at farming, but it's easy mode and nice if you feel lazy.
I agree with Pyrion's order of the classes (talking about level 60 here), but I think the "whys" are a bit off.

Chanters die, but they don't die any more often than any other class who is trying to do the same thing; they might even die less, all other things being equal. I'm also not convinced necros have more survivability than enchanters (working on leveling a necro now so I'll find out eventually!). Mages are basically seafury/hillgiant farmers, or maybe something like NG or whatever duo.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Sarnak

Necromancer for the following reasons:

CoS
IvU
Feign Death
DMF
You are not an elf.

You can do almost any camp a mage or enchanter can, including some that they cannot. You can reach these camps much easier via a CoS and your IvU line. You can FD bank anywhere in the world. You can bind in oasis and use DMF to quickly reach firepots and transport yourself to any town in 10 minutes.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyphil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necromancer for the following reasons:

CoS
IvU
Feign Death
DMF
You are not an elf.

You can do almost any camp a mage or enchanter can, including some that they cannot. You can reach these camps much easier via a CoS and your IvU line. You can FD bank anywhere in the world. You can bind in oasis and use DMF to quickly reach firepots and transport yourself to any town in 10 minutes.
This stuff sounds nice, but it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

CoS is convenient but doesn't really let you get around in a way that normal invis does not. Chanters have IVU too. Feign is cool but you can't exactly charge past swarms of level 45+ mobs and feign safely to avoid stuff that sees invis or IVU, but chanters can get past those mobs with lulls. DMF is just convenience, and chanters don't need to be elves. Chanters can bank anywhere in the world too, and they can do your little oasis bind+lev thing to get to pots with air elemental illusion or levitate or peg cloak.

What camp can a necro do that a chanter cannot do? I've never seen a necro solo anything in HS south or east, can't remember ever seeing a necro solo in seb outside of NG or crypt, nor do I think there are many/any of them farming nameds in hole or chardok or solb. Lguk and KC? Sure. But about the only people who CAN'T kill that stuff are rogues and warriors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 09-30-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Sarnak

CoS is instant click, enabling you to quickly reinvis after it drops without stopping. Also if you are quick enough you can stand up after you FD and click it right in front of a mob to reinvis & continue moving. It can also be used in combination with IVU to make quick passage through zones like karnor, lguk, kaesora, If you don't believe in the CoS come see it in action on red.

I'm not going to make a list of camps a chanter would struggle with as I have never played a chanter. But I know necro's have a higher dps, and are more efficient. Enabling them to break in and sustain a camp easier.

You can argue an enchanter or necromancer could essentially do almost anything equally as well, but if you put them against each other in a bid for the same camp, it is very obvious who is going to win IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudalus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Post your thoughts and more importantly why. Thanks.

Also your original post in this thread didn't list a single reason why an enchanter would be a better choice. You simply said it was so, then began to try an discredit my supporting reasons. There is no right answer to this question, only oppinions.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Do you actually see Necromancers soloing the Crypt Tecmos?
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyphil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
CoS is instant click, enabling you to quickly reinvis after it drops without stopping. Also if you are quick enough you can stand up after you FD and click it right in front of a mob to reinvis & continue moving. It can also be used in combination with IVU to make quick passage through zones like karnor, lguk, kaesora, If you don't believe in the CoS come see it in action on red.

I'm not going to make a list of camps a chanter would struggle with as I have never played a chanter. But I know necro's have a higher dps, and are more efficient. Enabling them to break in and sustain a camp easier.

You can argue an enchanter or necromancer could essentially do almost anything equally as well, but if you put them against each other in a bid for the same camp, it is very obvious who is going to win IMO.

Also your original post in this thread didn't list a single reason why an enchanter would be a better choice. You simply said it was so, then began to try an discredit my supporting reasons. There is no right answer to this question, only oppinions.
You're wrong [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you actually see Necromancers soloing the Crypt Tecmos?
No actually. I really should stop playing my necro legit and buy bard AE PL shenanigans for him so I can see what I can do with him starting at 55 like I did with Tecmos.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Have you ever killed a decently challenging mob solo on your necromancer? Something like HS South/East, Crypt, or Fire Giants.

Because it really does not sound from your post like you are speaking from experience. Tecmos and I are.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

Depends on what you're farming.

EDIT:

Also, some of these posts about enchanters being able to move around as easy or easier isn't exactly correct. You guys still have to worry about resists when throwing lulls, etc. I've seen plenty of enchanters die from that.

Enchanters can solo more difficult mobs easier than necromancers, to the point that it's pointless to do some of those mobs as a necro because the time and effort isn't worth the reward/s.

Necromancers are not as powerful as enchanters, but they do have more survivability.

P.S. I have done Crypt as a necro solo and it's just not worth it.

Both classes perform so much more efficient with a good partner that I found it pointless to farm big $$ camps solo.
Last edited by Autotune; 09-30-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Closed Thread