Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Planar Protector

Default Homeowners Club!

This post is in reference to this thread. Admin are apparently closing old threads for some reason? Would have just bumped that one. Here is a new one instead!

It's been almost six months since I bought and moved into my home. I am love love LOVING it! The house was a foreclosure so it needed a little bit of work, but things are coming along really nicely. As I approach the six month mark (March 18), I'm going to do a new photo set to show what I've done so far. Been trying to do a lot of ~DIY~ stuff.

For the next few months, until Summer is here, my primary focus is the backyard. As you can see in the photos, it's a major blank slate. It's basically just sand. I've looked into having a really nice stamped/stained concrete patio but that shit is like $3k for something half decent. I am thinking of doing something like this instead. The little fire pit is nice.

For you other homeowners - any suggestions for neat projects (backyard or otherwise)? I am always eager to hear what other people have done. It gives me good ideas sometimes. I want to try to work on some kind of project every weekend - which means I need to get a big list going.

Other things on the to-do list in the coming year to two years:
1. Replace all carpet with nice looking laminate (I'll do this myself)
2. Paint the entire upstairs (only have the first floor done at the moment)
3. Get new blinds for all of the windows in the house
4. Need a ton more stuff for the walls. The walls are pretty bare
5. Build a work/project bench in the garage
Old 03-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Planar Protector

All old threads were closed when the boards got switched to that newer version. If you Pm'd admin they would unlock i'm sure.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Edge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shanna feeling sad because of this thread http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=141509

and had to create a new brag thread
an obese apartment dweller bashing a homeowner.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Planar Protector

Do the concrete work yourself. It's very easy. Only need a mixing truck depending on how many yards of concrete you need. Don't get rid of the carpet unless it's trashed.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Kobold

Nice place. Best of luck in the new home.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Fire Giant

Just don't do anything that a professional *should* do that is going to be noticeable by an inspector.

I hate to hate on people who DIY a lot, but frankly there's a reason you don't get paid for your ability to paint a wall - you're bad at it (informal you, i have no idea who you are and what your painting abilities are)

If something needs to be professionally done, please get a professional. You're hurting the resale value of your house if you think you're a good electrician.

For the walls, all I can say is don't put a bunch of shit up on them just to take up space. When my wife and I first moved in we had the same problem - what do we put up there? We have friends who have decorated like hell but their wall is just a bunch of consumerist shit 'Happiness is a Glass of Fine Wine' in woodcarving on the wall - OK great.

What we did was just buy things / make things that happened in our life, such that our decorations are all actually telling a story. It's not that hard - find pictures and frame them - go to a painting class and display a side-by-side recreation of 'The Scream'. We also tend to buy local art when we go on vacations, and have big events (Winter olympics was ours - tickets + poster) immortalized by getting them framed / shadowboxed.

Our house was barren about 4 years ago on the walls but now we're almost running out of space, and everything that 'decorates' is actually something that pertains to us, instead of 'Home is where the Hearthstone Is'.

Also if you're into wall decals: http://www.whatisblik.com/
Scientist - 37 ROG
Closed Thread