Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Kobold

Default Wizard or Mage?

I am torn between the two. For wizards, I love the ability to port, though I played a wizard on live and soloing was a pain to say the least. Finding a group was also difficult. On the other hand, mages can solo very well, but lack porting abilities. Any suggestions? Do wizards still have trouble finding groups here on P99? Are wizards (or mages) lacking on this server? Thanks in advance for your helpful input!

Ravenlok Von`Croft, former Wizard of Prexus

Xarsith Xargosis, former Gravelord of Prexus
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalerror [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am torn between the two. For wizards, I love the ability to port, though I played a wizard on live and soloing was a pain to say the least. Finding a group was also difficult. On the other hand, mages can solo very well, but lack porting abilities. Any suggestions? Do wizards still have trouble finding groups here on P99? Are wizards (or mages) lacking on this server? Thanks in advance for your helpful input!

Ravenlok Von`Croft, former Wizard of Prexus

Xarsith Xargosis, former Gravelord of Prexus
By wizard soloing being a pain, I assume you mean they have a lot of downtime, right? But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Between easy kills/quads you can get other stuff done... read, browse the web, do crap around the house, etc.

Mage solo isn't like it was a year ago. The pets are climbing in your windows, stealing your xp up.

Xp groups will be more excited about a mage than a wizard most likely, but it looks like all the raid guilds have "high" priority for recruiting wizards.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Wizards have great spike dps, great for killing boss mobs, but the med time makes their dps poorer when it comes to exp grind and its harder to get groups. If it wasn't for evac we'd probably get none. Your best exp will be soloing (quad kiting).

Mages put out dps when not even casting which makes them exp group friendly, and solo effectively, though they've been nerfed exp-wise. Useful on raids more as a utility class.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Kobold

I guess among my major concerns is leveling up quickly. I do not get much time to play (maybe 5 hours/week) and would prefer a class that levels more quickly. In that case, perhaps mage is the way to go?
Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalerror [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess among my major concerns is leveling up quickly. I do not get much time to play (maybe 5 hours/week) and would prefer a class that levels more quickly. In that case, perhaps mage is the way to go?
I haven't played a mage on here, but it's my understanding that the strategy that allowed mages to zip through levels on here in the past (chain summoning fire pets while using a level 1 nuke to get full xp) does not work anymore.

Now you have to do over 50% damage to each monster you fight or else your pet steals a very significant amount of the xp (half? maybe up to three-quarters?). This, coupled with the fact that mage pets can't hold aggro if you out damage them, means... well I would probably be super pissed off. But again, I'm not a mage.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Wizards are the last class I would want in a group. Magicians have a pet and a nice damage shield. But if you aren't 100% on those 2 classes, I would recommend a Monk. They solo great and are always welcomed into a group.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Kobold

So then I guess my second question would be addressed to those who play/ed wizards on P99: How much trouble do you have finding a group? I would think with their DPS, they would be highly sought after by groups...
Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
wizards . . . I would think with their DPS, they would be highly sought after by groups...
Wizards have excellent short-term DPS. No one can top the damage they can pump out over the course of 30 or 60 seconds.

Experience groups want classes who have excellent long-term DPS though... aka melee or pet classes.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Kobold

Really, if you are only playing 5 hours a week, you should play a class which can solo well.

Mage would be much better than Wizard, and Necro would be much better still.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

wizards are always my last choice, and really, i'd rather just leave the spot open.

sure, they nuke hard for 2 mobs, then sit and med for the next 10. give me some melee dps anytime, for exp grinds

meh
Closed Thread