Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Aviak

Default Looking for a laptop capable of running EQ

Hello! I've played EQ off and on for a long time. I have played on P99 on my old laptop but the motherboard fried and I have not played in over a year and a half. I've been lurking the boards for the past couple of months and I've really just had "the itch" to get back and play again. Even if it's for a couple hours a week.

I've been looking around bestbuy.com at possible laptops and am just really stuck. I want to find a laptop able to run EQ smoothly. The only options I've found that are in my price range, have enough ram and a graphics card have been laptops that have no dvd/cdrom drive and have windows 8. From the reviews I've read and what I've picked up here is that Windows 8 is absolutely terrible and it sucks to play EQ on it. Which sucks because the only laptops I can find with actual graphics cards all have Windows 8. Any Windows 7 machines have Intel Integrated and I don't want to take a chance that EQ will be choppy and play bad when I'm spending hundreds of dollars on it just to play EQ.

My limit I'd say is $500..$600 at the most because the only reason I'd get the laptop is to play EQ. I specifically want a laptop so I'm not limited to only a computer chair and can freely play anywhere in my apartment without any problems. I guess what I'm asking is after all this rambling, what is a recommended spec I should look for in terms of ram (in windows 7 or windows 8) and a graphics card (would intel integrated really cut it?).

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate and thank any responses.
Briqii Blunts 29 Half Elf Druid
Briq 16 Half Elf Rogue
Old 10-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Planar Protector

just go on ebay or craigslist and find something that is dual core+,2gb(3-4gb preferred) RAM, and anything over 512mb video card(256mb and less will still work but 512 about min to run smooth with some particles). Other then that get whatever size HD and windows 7.

and just side answer to your question on integrated. Yes most laptops made within the last 5 years the integrated is good enough to play a 13 year old game. I can play EQ on a dell D600 and that has a 32mb integrated video card and can be had for 100 dollars on internet.
Last edited by Thulack; 10-03-2013 at 11:43 PM..
Old 10-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Aviak

Can p99 still run on windows 8 or is the complaint just that windows 8 is terrible in general? And thank you for your reply.
Briq 16 Half Elf Rogue
Old 10-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Fire Giant

I use windows 8 on my desktop and laptop and I generally like it. It's really up to you between 7 and 8....not much difference for EQ.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Aviak

Ok thank you all for your replies. It really helped me out. Should be back playing EQ tonight or tomorrow! Look for Briq, 36 mage in game if anyone is around those levels and wants to duo. Think im parked out at sisters in oot. Might start an enchanter though, never played that class and want to try solo or duo charming.
Briq 16 Half Elf Rogue
Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Orc

I am currently running EQ on a refurb ThinkPad T61 with nary an issue, outside of some framerate lag when the screen is bombarded with particle effects; but hell for $150 it's not a bad deal at all. So that being said, I'm fairly certain anything in your price range should work out just fine.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

I'm currently playing P99 on a laptop I bought from Best Buy for about $200. I can't see you having any difficulty finding one. The game is old, remember. Only problem is that I sometimes get a heating problem when playing outside on the deck on hot days (duh).
Old 10-06-2013, 02:25 AM
Planar Protector

I really enjoyed my HP dv6000 widescreen. Fantastic laptop that i got for free, markets about 200-300 (at the time i sold it a few years ago) has two hard drive slots so you can run a nice linux partition and then your windows. Currently I switch between my desktop and ibm T42/43p/t60 to play, all are <$120, nice laptops, friggin bomb proof i shit you not. A brother of mine ended up nailing a fat chick and she sat on the thing and it didn't break (this chick was 500lbs+) I saw that laptop drop onto hardwood floors more than once also and it worked with no real damage other than very minor cosmetic scratches. But I'd go with the HP dv6000 widescreen because it's more nice to play on, bit more area. Or you could probably get the T60 widescreen, but I don't really enjoy the keyboard layout on it. Goodluck !
Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

....500+ lbs>?
plz explain the logistics of this event, sir.

also, with 600 dollars, you could buy 10 laptops that could run eq. srsly.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrocks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
....500+ lbs>?
plz explain the logistics of this event, sir.

also, with 600 dollars, you could buy 10 laptops that could run eq. srsly.
Desperation.