Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Banned

Exclamation Website update request

Resetting passwords is stupidly frustrating. It doesn't make any sense. Here's the process I hassled through.

1) Click "send me a new password". Now, for safety reasons, I can understand why I was sent a reset link. So, I click it.
2) Go to the site, now you can click "click here to change your password", and you get redirected to the homepage. Wow, that was really bad user funneling.
3) Okay, so I re-click "send me a new password", check my e-mail, realize that I was sent a password in my e-mail. So much for safety! Why not do that in the first place if you're going to send it in e-mail?! That's such a bad idea. E-mail is the most easily compromised and sought after password. Passwords should never be sent to email!
4) So, now I try that password. It doesn't work because I already clicked "reset" in the third e-mail (same as the first and same thread in gmail) before the laggy second e-mail (with the new password) was realized. Now my retry attempts are down. I could see this being a problem when someone is on their 5th attempt.
5) I wait around.... Okay, finally get the new password. Log in. Now I go back to the first and third e-mail, and I check the links. They redirect me to the homepage. I try to click the back button on the already opened tabs from the first and third email. Auto-redirect to the homepage. So, damn.... I can't manually reset my password. I'm stuck remembering this weird random password I was sent..., UNLESS...
6) I scour the site for 5-10 minutes looking for the reset password switch. It's not in Edit Options. It's not on my Profile Page.... Should be on both. It's on a left-side box-div (or whatever) on the User Control Panel, conveniently labeled "User CP" a the top. How about "Control Panel"? Come on.... That's ridiculous. Who's going to click something not knowing what it is?

--

An angry fan.