Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Best Kunark era melee?
WAR 12 12.63%
PAL 6 6.32%
SHD 8 8.42%
MNK 38 40.00%
RNG 11 11.58%
ROG 20 21.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Kobold

Default Best Overall Melee???

Hey guys and gals! I'm back!!!

Question: What is the best melee class in the Kunark era and why?

Backstory: I'm bored with my Mage from classic era and am thinking of rolling something else.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

necromancer
Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Planar Protector

BRD isn't an option makes me sad.

A well played paladin can do some amazing shit. But most paladins are just mediocre so meh.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Planar Protector

Obviously it's about what you're looking for in your melee, but monks are one of the best melee soloers (especially in good gear), the second-best melee DPS, and OK casual tanks. They also have feign death. Only other contender is SK, which is a better tank but worse DPS.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Planar Protector

Best melee?

I can't even touch that one. Most dps? Rogue easily.

The rest depends on what best means to you.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Planar Protector

Bard imo. Unless you're going for melee dps or tanking ability? You didn't give us much information.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

Obviously "best" is meaningless here because each class has their own merits. It's no secret that Rangers are underpowered in this era, so they're out. SKs and Paladins are great tanks, but not as good as a warrior, and their dps is worse. They're out for not being specialized.

Warriors are easily able to take more of a punishment than any other melee class. Their DPS is also very comparable to rogues and monks, especially considering their great gear selection (blade of the black dragon eye, offhand wurmslayer, etc).

So I vote Warrior.

If we're considering epics, Rogue would be a close 2nd with the huge DPS boost a Ragebringer provides.

Before epics: WAR > MNK > ROG > PAL > SHD > RNG
After epics: WAR > ROG > MNK > PAL > SHD > RNG

But again, comparing these classes in this way makes no sense.

lol wut
Old 10-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Obviously "best" is meaningless here because each class has their own merits. It's no secret that Rangers are underpowered in this era, so they're out. SKs and Paladins are great tanks, but not as good as a warrior, and their dps is worse. They're out for not being specialized.

Warriors are easily able to take more of a punishment than any other melee class. Their DPS is also very comparable to rogues and monks, especially considering their great gear selection (blade of the black dragon eye, offhand wurmslayer, etc).

So I vote Warrior.

If we're considering epics, Rogue would be a close 2nd with the huge DPS boost a Ragebringer provides.

Before epics: WAR > MNK > ROG > PAL > SHD > RNG
After epics: WAR > ROG > MNK > PAL > SHD > RNG

But again, comparing these classes in this way makes no sense.
Let me edit that.
Before epics: RNG>WAR>MNK>ROG>SHD>PAL
After epics: RNG>WAR>ROG>MNK>SHD>PAL
Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Kobold

Warrior: Best damage sponges, more aggro weapons than in classic, and discs make them desirable on raids. They also get utility items (ToD, incardine bp, jws, snare whip)

Rogue: Double backstab, a very doable epic with pick up raids, sneak/hide = easy corpse runs & easy getting to already established groups deep in dungeons, and the most important thing is the pick lock skill. Seb, Com, and HS all have locked doors. Some groups will always need a rogue just on the pick lock skill alone, not to mention best dps.

Monk: Can do everything well, and are the best pullers. Really get good with velious and all the 0.0 weight gear

Pal/shd/rng: I think they get better in velious.

I went warrior, but I think it matters on your play style. If you hate pulling go rogue. If you really like pulling, setting pace of group go monk.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Planar Protector

For melee dps in an apples to apples comparison rogues and warriors are close. Backstab as a melee attack is another stab so on par with any kick (besides a monk) so the warrior might edge them in crits. So two bloodpoints for a rogue or warrior should be a wash. Monks do FAR more damage than either melee wise and their staffs are just plain sick for ratios.

Backstab is the playing ground leveler though. Even in Kunark a monk with a T-staff is going to be hard pressed to keep up with a rogue using good gear. Rogue aggro dump is amazing. The epic really does spread the classes a large amount and more importantly gives 90%+ of high end rogues a brainless primary weapon pick, 40% haste, and a bucket of stats in one slot (that can be offhanded even!)

For how pathetically narrow-focused a rogue is they deserve the dps crown. Monks and Warriors have many advantages. As Mardur said one boon (of many) of a warrior is weapon selection. The cost of having comparable Rogue dps weapons is very high.
Last edited by Snaggles; 10-26-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Closed Thread