Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Sarnak

Default Anyone play Utopia?

http://utopia-game.com/

"Utopia - is one of the oldest running massively multiplayer online browser game. It is a real-time strategy in virtual persistent online fantasy world where use Player versus Player and Team versus Team interactions. The Game uses a text user interface."

Wondering if anyone currently plays, used to play or would be interested in playing?

Kingdom I am in needs a few more players.

--
tl;dr version of the game..

You join a kingdom with 20-25 other people, pick a race, pick a class (personality) , build up your province and then war other 20-25 person kingdoms. Everything is time based, you attack someone and your army takes ~12 hours to come back. You use up your mana and it regenerates a given % every hour.

Game is pretty old but it is a lot of fun.. lots of strategy involved in warring other people.

The 'world' restarts a new age every 3-4 months where they re-do the race/personality benefits so you can never really be late to the game as everyone starts over.
--
Longer version:

You get a province, you pick a race & personality and start going. You get land from exploring, attacking others or casting spells to generate land. You build land into various buildings that grant benefits. There is a lot of strategy that goes into how you build your land, it is all % based so you focus your % of land to certain buildings based on what you are trying to accomplish. Examples: Forts raise your defense, Watch towers prevent thievery, Guilds train wizards, armouries make troops cheaper to train.

All the races have different benefits/detriments. Orcs for example are a good attacker, they get +30% gains from attacks and kill 15% more people in attacks, their offensive units are also the strongest. However they are stupid orcs and they get penalties to science (which is accumulated over time to give benefits). Avians are attackers based on speed, they get -20% attack speed which allows them to get their army back and hit faster. Halflings have +50% thievery effectiveness which makes them good at running thievery ops (assassinating armies, getting intel on people). etc

You build up an army, thieves, wizards to perform tasks. Army is offensive and defensive units. Thieves do thievery things (assasinate troops, steal money, etc) Wizards do wizardy things (cast fireballs that kill peasants, meteors that kill troops, etc).

Usually a kingdom has a mix of attackers, thieves and mystics (wizards).

----------

Lecompte and I are in a kingdom together with other people we met when I started playing again and we could use anywhere from 2-7 other people. The current age ends in a few weeks so it would be a great time to join. Spend a few weeks figuring things out then restart in 2 weeks with everyone else ready to rock n roll.

Let me know!
Last edited by xCry0x; 02-25-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Endorsed. Must be available on mIRC, and we do have coordinated attack times.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards do wizardy things (cast fireballs that kill peasants
Burninating the peasants?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Sarnak

More or less =P

The role of mystics & rogues in a war is basically to fight the war of attrition.

Ruin the enemy's economy while your attackers take their land.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Sarnak

giving this a bump because people really should check it out, isn't exactly some huge time investment, something you can play 1 hr a day.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Aviak

I used to play a while ago, loved it. I thought they did a ton of changes and messed things up though.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Sarnak

To what extent? Playing it now and it seems more or less the same as it was when I played 13 years ago.

Think it is being managed outside of swirve now - maybe swirve broke something and now it is unbroken?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Planar Protector

Swirve sold it to someone, then someone else bought it from them...
Old 02-28-2014, 03:54 AM
Planar Protector

i was a big earth 2025 player back in the day. i never got into utopia but i know of it.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Sarnak

The age is ending tomorrow so everything gets wiped clean for a restart in a few days.

So bump if anyone is interested, good time to try.