Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Fire Giant

Default Completing Quests back in the day with resources

Edit Title - withOUT resources.

If you actually read some of the dialogue with NPC's for quests, most of 'hints' they give for the items they need are so vague, so back when this glorious game started, how long did it take for people to complete quests and more importantly hard quests?

Some examples are epics, VP key...I could see people spending months if not a year just to find the pieces. Like the first people to discover and kill PS...that must've took forever considering how rare they are. Or picking up artifacts at a random location in swamp or OT.

Anyone have real experience when EQ, Kunark, Velious started because by the time I played, ZAM was my resource.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Fire Giant

Well, still unsolved quests on live 15 years later, so some take a very long time (in 2008 or so a 9 year old quest was solved when they revamped the tradeskill recipe lists - some quest from Kunark I believe)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, still unsolved quests on live 15 years later
Not true.

Those quests were just apprentice developer quests that didn't even work. The 10 year EQ video that said there were still unfinished quests was kind of misleading.
Last edited by Tankdan; 04-23-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Old 04-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Fire Giant

I heard GBS is part of an unsolved quest...wonder what item that would give.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekniq [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I heard GBS is part of an unsolved quest...wonder what item that would give.
It was part of an interns test quest that was never pushed live.

Prathun posted about that one several months ago I think.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Kobold

By the time epics and VP rolled around I think ZAM was already established

I started from March 18th 1999 and many people couldn't even get out of their starting towns, much less comprehend how to do the harder quests. Some quests were also bugged and NPCs would eat your items, so a lot of people didn't even bother until later on, when information for doing the quests was usually passed down in guilds.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Fire Giant

Remember the rumors about reviving General Leo? ...wait, wrong game...
Old 04-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Remember the rumors about reviving General Leo? ...wait, wrong game...
Favorite game.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Kobold

To this day I've always wondered how The Oblong Bottle was first found. It's a part of the rogue Burning Rapier quest. The item is a ground spawn on the bottom of the Ocean of Tears.

I just found an old Safehouse post where the guy that found it explains how he did so. Pretty cool stuff.

Quote:
Basically, you talk to Bryan McGee in High Hold and ask about the Oblong Bottle, since that one is in brackets. The bottle is magical, and never runs out of liquor.

He also mentions some guy in FP had it by the docks, or something like that. You ask what oblong bottle? to different people at the docks. The bard responds with a song, and will sing it for you for a price of 300pp.

The song mentions how the owner hosted a ocean party, they sailed to Butcherblock, then turned around to come back. As the ship was threading the needle, his friends dared him to drink until he can drink no more, and as he did, they counted. At the count of 10, he passed out, and fell overboard with the bottle, never to be seen again.

So, I road the boat to BB. On the way back ,when the ship started passing through the rocks (threading the needle), I started counting 1, 1000, 2, 1000, etc. At 10, I jumped over board, and found the bottle.

P99:
Nubben, Level 16 Rogue
Old 04-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As the ship was threading the needle, his friends dared him to drink until he can drink no more, and as he did, they counted. At the count of 10, he passed out, and fell overboard with the bottle, never to be seen again.

So, I road the boat to BB. On the way back ,when the ship started passing through the rocks (threading the needle), I started counting 1, 1000, 2, 1000, etc. At 10, I jumped over board, and found the bottle.
As a native English speaker and professional translator, my reaction to the "threading the needle" bit would merely be "DAFUQ?" That man deserves a medal.
I loved my burning rapier and the graphic proc on it.
Closed Thread