Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:43 AM
Sarnak

Default Worst trio possible

I am copying the idea of this thread from another forum.

Imagine you're starting a trio with two friends for green99.

What would be the worst possible combo (classes/races) you could come up with? Let's say you can't choose the same class more than once. So sorry, no rogue/rogue/rogue.

Feel free to include obstacles like "We're going to have a Barbarian and a Gnome and want to start playing together at Level 1" to fuck up your starting position even more.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:08 AM
Large Rat

No heals (ever) & no pets would be my first go to rule for this.

So...
Human Freeport rogue (worshiping Innoruk)
Gnome warrior (worshiping Bertoxxulous)
Human Qeynos wizard (worshiping Bertoxxulous)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:11 AM
Sarnak

Well, it has to start rogue-wizard; the two quintessential damage-dealers have no hope of surviving aggro, so it's either lots of death or nuke to death and wait for mana / health to come back. That will get pretty old after a few levels. At higher levels, they probably won't survive many fights.

Warrior-rogue could be as bad; tank and DPS sounds fine, but think of the downtime without a healer. Add in that difficult stretch from 20-30 where the rogue will keep grabbing aggro and neither taunt nor evade will be reliable enough to fix it. Again, adding a number 3 is hard without fixing their flaws.

Combine those and you have what could almost sound perfect - lots of DPS and a tank to hold aggro - except that you spend more time waiting around between fights than fighting.

Edit: And while I was typing, it seems someone else had the same idea.
Last edited by Mentathiel; 06-03-2019 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: I got ninja-ed
Old 06-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentathiel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, it has to start rogue-wizard; the two quintessential damage-dealers have no hope of surviving aggro, so it's either lots of death or nuke to death and wait for mana / health to come back.
Yeah, except a wizard can kite with Snare / DD while rogue jumps in later @60% to melee and BS. If the rogue takes a few hits, nothing a bandage cant fix while the wizard meds. This isn't as inefficient as it sounds. Slower Xp for both than what they can get otherwise? Sure, but this gets the job done if the rogue can't find a group and the wizard is feeling lonely.

Before Snare, Nuke/stun/nuke/stun while rogue melees is enough to level the duo up to snare level.

Mind you a rogue that wears AC is not bad at taking hits in the early game at all. Bandages and blue mobs is no prob if they die fast.
Last edited by eunomios; 06-30-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Old 06-30-2019, 05:34 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Any bad trio is going to be missing reliable utility control of mobs (Snare, Fear, Root, Stun), therefore forced to take their damage; and either missing heals/slow or missing someone to reliably take damage.

Mage (erudite), Rogue (Freeport Human), Warrior (gnome)

Only saving grace would be snare/slow procs from warrior/rogue. Only Healing Avail is from +regen Equipment and Mage Heal to pet.

Mage Earth pet can Root when CC is needed but it's unreliable. Air pet is good for a minor slow effect.

No buffs beyond DS and hardly anyone is taking damage consistently here.

Able to kite if there is a snare proc is Mage, but they would be dumping all mana into nukes and go oom in no time, Warrior can kite but will eventually loose aggro to rogue>who then would kite.

Melees could range damage summoned arrows/daggers (not terrible really if it MUST be done).

Mage Pet can Aggro Dance to spread damage with Warrior/Rogue; thus, mage focusing solely on healing Mage pet - but this would be hard to maintain 40+ without serious downtime.

Essentially it is a trio that ends up being Mage solo, with minor auxiliary help pulling from a couple melees.

Bandage exploit could be used to help with summoned bandages.

Good group around level 4-20 once they meet up - easy to push into 30s with just bandages and good AC on blue/light blue mobs - but once the Mob dmg spike occurs 30+ this I think would be the worst grouping of 3 classes without expensive tools.
Last edited by eunomios; 06-30-2019 at 05:55 PM..
Old 06-03-2019, 04:18 AM
Planar Protector

rogue, wizard, mage (rogue is never gonna BS, and have fun splitting)

or warrior, paladin, SK (lol dps)

Really though, with no doubles, it's hard to find just an unplayable combination. The best (worst) case scenario is that one member of the trio is left ineffective, like the above rogue.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
or warrior, paladin, SK (lol dps)
This is actually a killer combo.

Heres why:

Paladin focus' on healing. SK keeps agro and warrior is kept below 40% hp...once kunark hits Paladin can helm heal.

I have personally helm healed a trio in KC and taken LCY/RCY mobs nps.

While not highly effective in mob turn over rates it was decent xp in a trio.

Also with SK pet, SK split pull and Paladin root CC/buffs/heals/pacify pull you gucci. Warrior can bring the slow prov weapon too eventually.

This trio going 1-60 would be fun and very functional.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

I think worst combo basically has to be classes that dont synergize. Any trio will work technically but like a wizard + rogue boils down to aggro kiting and if you've ever been the rogue in a kite duo , it sucks.

I'd vote wizard + rogue + cleric
Off the dome i see a few glaring issues:

>No mana regen for casters
--the horrible tank compounds this problem and also forces the trio to move at a bursty pace which isnt ideal for xp.

>No tank for the rogue
--the ONLY benefit the rogue offers is mostly negated. Cleric could tank but if were assuming these are not balls to the walls twinks, the cleric would be great at this.

>the rogue is dead weight if you consider that you could have two nukers if fighting undead. So we assume that all 3 players would need to contribute or it wouldnt be a trio.

This party has CC and it could work but it gets hamstrung by the rogue and the wizard not being able to work together and creates a situation where it's hard to utilize each party member. I feel like in a trio , if 1/3 of the team is less than a 10% contribution towards the goal then it dissolves.

Tldr: clr wiz Rog, itll work but itll be more headache than it's worth.
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 06-03-2019, 04:41 AM
Sarnak

I was also wondering if combining hybrids and the pure caster would make sense. E.g. a ranger+druid or a cleric+paladin. But although the hybrid would lose half of his power due to the pure caster being able to cast the better version of all the spells, having a healer would already make you not that horrible of a team.

I guess cleric, druid, pala would be able to do stuff, but they would be slow as hell in doing it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-03-2019, 05:30 AM
Sarnak

I think it's the melees who suffer, especially without heals. Most casters would just root with no tank. Add in pets and you can basically add value to anyone who is not a rogue.