Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2016, 11:52 PM
Planar Protector

Question Dust Abatement - Helpful Tips (vaccum info) Wanted

Basically too many unused areas have led to very large amounts of dust buildup over the years.

I tried to get down and dirty with it, but the dust is far too volatile. I live in a building with 225 separate units, with central circulation and carpeting. As well as being directly on top of a 4 level parking garage with direct annex access straight up the entire building due to the elevator system. The elevator system also allows immediate access to your unit without walking off any dust and debris on the stairs for example.

Basically, it's not your average household dust buildup. We're talking hundreds of contaminants, mold, micro fungus, dead microbes, and so on. (I've read rubber and automobile parts are typically found in building dust too).

Effects of disturbing the dust range from viscous mucus response, mild inflammation of the throat, loss of sense of taste/altered taste (lasts over 24 hours easily), possible burning eyes, throat and constantly having to clear your throat over the next several hours after exposure. Haven't got pneumonia (knock on wood) from any of exposure yet.

I realize an N95 is mandatory and that I should also probably invest in some goggles.

My main problem, is actually cleaning it appropriately. I have plans to take the clothing and other storage items and send them to the dry cleaners.

There are areas where my vacuum just isn't a good vacuum for the job. Throw-away bag vacuums are not really sold in stores anymore, and I can't be emptying a cup or vacuum container.

TLDR: You know a good vacuum with a bag? please tell me what you have. Needs to be good for this kind of job, but any good well-manufactured bag is better than none.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82