Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2019, 08:54 AM
Aviak

Default List System

The stories coming out of the Manastone camp are pretty concerning. Staying glued to your computer, unable to afk for more than 15 minutes at a time, for over two days in some cases, is going to get someone seriously hurt. This is madness.

"Then don't camp it!" I hear some of you saying. There's no way in hell I would right now, even if I were of the appropriate level to try. I'm not posting this for myself; I just don't want to see any dead nerds over an elf pixel. And I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest that's where we're heading, especially as more people join the queue, should the list system stay as-is.

I'm not a dev, nor do I totally understand how complicated any of this is or is not, but here's my proposal:
  1. Take away the AFK checks.

2. Make the corpse FFA once the expiration reaches one minute.

3. If your IP changes after camping out, going LD, etc, your position on the list is forfeit.

4. Root the mobs in question, or code the corpse to slingshot back to spawn point.

5. Permanent character lockout for each legacy item.

Let people afk. You'll still need to pay attention incase of a group wipe, group leaves, or your item drops. But it wouldn't be the dangerous level of commitment we're looking at now. People are seriously risking their health over legacy items, or have the unfair advantage of multiple people account sharing to take their turns in shifts. Let's not wait for the worst to happen to make some changes.

This obviously creates new problems, like having 60+ people on the list for any given item. There's no perfect system, but I feel like permanent character lockout, and being unable to play your account for however many days you're AFK on the list, would be pretty self-regulating.

The list system was a wonderful idea, and I'm so glad they tried something. But I think a few tweaks would go a long way for the health and safety of everyone.