Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2020, 04:03 PM
Large Bat

Default P1999 on Linux Manjaro, blank server list

Hi! I've been away for quite some time and have decided to get back into EQ, this time on a Linux install. I didn't have any problems installing the game via mounted iso files, everything went smoothly and I followed the linux installation files including extracting the p1999 files to a separate folder and copy pasting the files and folders separately. When I log in, I get a blank server list, however this isn't always the case. Occasionally the server list is populated and I'm able to get in game, but it seems to be blank 19 out of 20 tries. Any idea what could be going on here?

If there are any logs I could post to help you help me, let me know and I'll do my best to get them posted here. After I post this I'm going to be playing with wireshark to see if this might be caused by packet loss.

--Edit: Just realized I missed a step on the linux install guide at https://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide. Toward the bottom of that page, above the section about getting MIDI music to work this step: If you are able to start EverQuest but the server list is blank/empty reference https://github.com/Zaela/p99-login-middlemand. Download and unzip the file. From within the unziped folder run the command $ make. Many errors are caused by missing libraries and can be corrected with the command $ sudo apt-get install build-essential.

I followed this, and running the make command from the unzipped folder works and yields
make
cc -c -o build/main.o src/main.c -O2 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing
cc -c -o build/connection.o src/connection.c -O2 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing
cc -c -o build/protocol.o src/protocol.c -O2 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing
cc -c -o build/sequence.o src/sequence.c -O2 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing
cc -o bin/p99-login-middlemand build/main.o build/connection.o build/protocol.o build/sequence.o -O2 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing

However, being on Manjaro which is based on Arch, the sudo apt-get install build-essential command is different. Manjaro uses pacman instead of apt, and I can't translate this to whatever arch would use being pretty new to linux. I tried sudo pacman install build-essential and get an error: no operation specified (use -h for help). Same error for sudo pacman build-essential.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Shuffels; 01-18-2020 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: More info