Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Aviak

Default SK shadow step żDoes it have any real utility?

An small teleport to a random location...

żis there any situtation to make this spell useful? Im newbie and I dont know SK very well, so maybe is just ignorance, but as far I know I see this spell very stupid and useless.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Pvp, that's about the only use.
Or trying to go through some things, but usually better ways to go about those.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

You can use your terrain to your advantage and lessen travel distances in hilly zones. I use yonder on my wiz if I ever have to run spires to kc
Old 10-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Sarnak

Fantastic for pvp... also great in hilly zones... since it is quick cast can get it to channel on the run.. just keep clicking it...
Old 10-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotenvok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
An small teleport to a random location...

żis there any situtation to make this spell useful? Im newbie and I dont know SK very well, so maybe is just ignorance, but as far I know I see this spell very stupid and useless.
the other night 3am PST when i was in Cabilis, i somehow fell into a crack large enough to get into, but small enough that i couldnt get out. Bare in mind I had just got there to pick up spells and was still bound in unrest, so gating was not an option. I tried yelling for help, ducking, sitting, medding, relogging. None of that worked, I figured I would have to wait for GM support to get me out, but then remembered i had this spell. I cast it and poof, problem fixed.

I almost wonder if the spell wasnt given for this exact reason.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the other night 3am PST when i was in Cabilis, i somehow fell into a crack large enough to get into, but small enough that i couldnt get out. Bare in mind I had just got there to pick up spells and was still bound in unrest, so gating was not an option. I tried yelling for help, ducking, sitting, medding, relogging. None of that worked, I figured I would have to wait for GM support to get me out, but then remembered i had this spell. I cast it and poof, problem fixed.

I almost wonder if the spell wasnt given for this exact reason.
Did you try the /rewind command?
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 10-12-2014, 11:49 PM
Aviak

I remember as a wizard at low levels using shadow step to get away from a mob and gate. It's low casting time made it more likely that you could get away than directly casting gate. That being said, it still worked like crap. Without gate, then yeah, PVP.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Kobold

Played a wiz for years and the only time SS is useful is when your on high ground. You can SS down a mountain quickly. You can SS from high areas where you would normally die by falling.

On PvP you can use it to SS down from a tree or ledge and throw off your opponent. Works particularly well in places like CS with drop offs of either side.

You can only ever SS down and not up so you can safely assume you will go in a general direction that is downhill.

The spell as a whole is not worth keeping mem'd, and I would only use it to get down a huge cliff or off a high ledge without taking dmg. Even then, you could easily wind up in the middle of aggro.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Kobold

The range of the SS is not always just a small area. I've used it before and it's moved me well far enough away from the mob that I needed to run from that it had no chance of catching up to me before zoneing.

Krey