Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

implement mounts!
Old 04-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With old graphics, other player's mounts would appear as a naked (i.e. bikini-clad) woodelf female with a "Soandso's Mount" nameplate above the head. I'm sure the nerds who made & approved that choice thought themselves very clever.
I feel like skeleton illusion was the only thing that worked right with mounts with old graphics. I might be making that up though.

But yea. Mounts dumb. Required use of new graphics to use, gross.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Kobold

I had two problems with Luclin. First, it was the beginning of the end for the porting business. I understand that people had to wait for the spires to activate, but part of the challenge of Everquest was mobility, if you chose to play a class that had limited options.

Second, the bazaar destroyed the East Commonlands trade. We can haggle over prices in East Commonlands, and it's more true-to-life as far as the idea of not having all items available at all times to buy.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Planar Protector

It turned the game from a medieval fantasy with dragons and goblins into a crappy episode of Star Trek.

Enemies being named BLARGH BLERGH FIEND kinda gives me the impression that the devs just gave up.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You start taking stuff like that away and it just becomes a single player game that other people inhabit.
Perfectly summarizes my sentiments. I was going to put out a treatise on the terribad of Luclin, but realized I am getting cranky with all this push for generic mmo9000 implementation. I am going to stop writing before I get nasty >.<
Old 04-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Planar Protector

Here, since I am cranky with nothing new to contribute at this time and quoting oneself has become so fashionable if late, I give you my response to Wednesday's discussion on this same issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are several reasons SoL is a departure from Classic Everquest:

1. Setting - the game changes from adventures in slaying dragons and orcs to battling aliens in outer space.
2. Community - introduction of the nexus/bazaar was the beginning of unraveling of the Classic Everquest community. The world expansion also furthers dilution of the player population.
3. Mechanics - the alternate advancement system was a radical departure from original EQ game design. While it has it's merits, it would ultimate trivialize a vast amount of content on a locked server like this one.

SoL was not classic Everquest. It was a departure from it. Some people do not consider Velious or Kunark classic for their roles (albeit to a much lesser extent) in some of the above (expanded world, changed mechanics, etc.), but most just view the tweaks in those expansions as a fleshing out of the original design.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like skeleton illusion was the only thing that worked right with mounts with old graphics. I might be making that up though.

But yea. Mounts dumb. Required use of new graphics to use, gross.
Man, I cannot for the life of me remember any mounts. I know I always had old graphics on. Could you still use a mount with old graphics and it'd simply give you a speed boost? Cause I think I did that.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Kobold

Luclin simply dropped off into the uncanny valley, breaking immersion. People come to p99 because they still wake up at night from fevered dreams just wondering, "What if?" Its undeniable that what Everquest is today started with Luclin. Luclin is just a clear demarcation between "What it was like and what it became." The trauma of this cognitive dissonance will probably never heal. ;D

I don't think most people really hate Luclin, everyone seems to like something about it; they just don't want to play the game that ended their cherished fantasy worlds.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetrick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Indignation will be fighting the good fight against the zerg.
I should have added a clause that said "and get a significant portion of the kills". You know zerg guilds gonna zerg at all hours of the night to get those pixels. There are literally hundreds of people on this server that want easy pixels and taking 2x the numbers is way easier than training people how to kill shit right.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necabo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Second, the bazaar destroyed the East Commonlands trade. We can haggle over prices in East Commonlands, and it's more true-to-life as far as the idea of not having all items available at all times to buy.
Do you live in Cuba or something? Most of us can go to amazon.com and buy pretty much anything.
Closed Thread