Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-20-2016, 01:14 PM
Large Bat

Default Full Screen & WinEQ

Greetings.

I was having a problem when switching from full screen to windowed mode when I wanted to tab out to the desktop. Whenever I went back into full screen mode, the border of the screen was not registering the mouse cursor, so clicking on anything near the edges of the screen would minimize the window and send me back to desktop.

I found a thread about that, which suggested to go back into full screen, open Options, reset resolution to 1920x1080 (the resolution I use), and hit accept. That fixed the problem, as long as I did this every time I tabbed out of full screen to the desktop when I went back to full screen.

However, every time thereafter when I started up P99, all of my desktop icons would get moved around; the game would start up in a windowed mode, I believe with a different resolution, and mess up my desktop.

I am attempting to use WinEQ to resolve this desktop problem, as well as some lag/graphical hiccups I am experiencing that are effecting game play as well.

However, I can't get EQ to run in 1920x1080 resolution at all now. I've tried setting the eqclient.ini settings to the resolution I use for my laptop (1920x1080), but all I get is a black screen.

I am able to get the game to load and play using these settings in eqclient.ini:

[VideoMode]
WindowedWidth=1920
WindowedHeight=1080
Width=1920
Height=1080
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1680
HeightWindowed=1050
WinEQWidth=1680
WinEQHeight=1050

If I change WidthWindowed=1680, HeightWindowed=1050, WinEQWidth=1680, WinEQHeight=1050, to 1920x1080, I get the black screen.

The only other settings I can find in eqclient.ini that would effect this as far as I can tell are:

WindowedModeXOffset=-3
WindowedModeYOffset=-13
WindowedMode=FALSE

I've played with all of these a bit in conjunction with WinEQ, but I cannot get the game to run either full screen or windowed in my preferred resolution of 1920x1080. I am thinking about simply uninstalling WinEQ for now so I can at least play the game, but thought I'd ask first for some help.

I have read numerous threads on this, but have not found a solution so far.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very much obliged.

Thank you.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

If you can get to the launcher screen that is where you adjust the launcher settings.There is an options tab on the launcher.

It is a seprate program from the game.

If you can get to the game then you black screen try Alt + Enter as that is the shortcut.

If that doesn't work then you botched your settings and you should just start with a fresh install.

Also when you want to switch back and forth from win to FS use alt + enter. Not alt tab.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 08-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Large Bat

Figured I'd give this a bump. I'm positive it has something to do with the [Video Mode] settings that I have, and that somehow those settings aren't playing well with WinEQ.

I went through this way back in the day, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Using the "options" tab in the launcher does not resolve the problem. I've looked through numerous threads here, and tried several different eqclient.ini settings, but still no dice.

If other have suggestions, I'd be much obliged. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to play in fullscreen mode? You can make windowed EQ fill your entire screen which eliminates the need to alt-tab altogether. If I had to alt-tab every time I needed to look something up, EQ would basically be unplayable.

Here are my resolution settings:
WindowedWidth=1680
WindowedHeight=982
Width=1680
Height=1050
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1680
HeightWindowed=1050

And here's what it looks like when I'm playing in windowed mode:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to play in fullscreen mode? You can make windowed EQ fill your entire screen which eliminates the need to alt-tab altogether.
Thanks for the reply.

I actually don't care about full screen mode, per se. If I could get WinEQ to work properly and play the game such that it looks like the screen shot you posted, I'd be happy with that.

I don't care about alt+tab either, its just an old habit of mine from playing various games when I want to get to the desktop or another program I have open.

Basically, I read here that WinEQ can solve the issues of full screen vs. windowed that can crop up, and that it improves game play since I seem to be having some lag issues as well.

After installing WinEQ, I simply could not get the game to play in 1920 x 1080, either in full screen or windowed mode. The best resolution I could get with WinEQ in windowed was 1680 x 1050, and full screen didn't work at all, so I uninstalled it just to be able to play at my laptop's resolution.

With WinEQ and 1680 x 1050 resolution, the game window itself was only about 3/4 of the size of my screen, and I simply could not make it larger. Thus, both the resolution was off, and the window itself was way too small to play EQ comfortably.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Fire Giant

Delete your custom resolution settings and use whatever is appropriate for your desktop. In WinEQ's preferences, change the "Default Preset" option for your profile to Full Screen (emulated)

I believe the borderless window option requires a subscription to WinEQ, however
Old 08-24-2016, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

Try these settings:
WindowedWidth=1920
WindowedHeight=1012
Width=1920
Height=1080
FullscreenRefreshRate=0
WidthWindowed=1920
HeightWindowed=1080

and change WindowedMode=FALSE to WindowedMode=TRUE

It took a bit of experimenting to get my windowed resolution perfect, but it's definitely worth it. I just subtracted from the WindowedHeight value until the taskbar was completely visible, and until there were no graphical artifacts.

Also, I had to mess with the WindowedModeXOffset and WindowedModeYOffset values so it would start up already positioned as it looks in the screenshot. My current settings are:
WindowedModeXOffset=-3
WindowedModeYOffset=0
Old 08-24-2016, 03:38 PM
Large Bat

I will try these solutions later when I get the chance. Thanks for the suggestions guys
Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for this info, 3 years later and it saved me a ton of headaches!
Old 05-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erte1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for this info, 3 years later and it saved me a ton of headaches!
Ditto, thanks!