Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Kobold

We played on GEnie. * of Kesmai wasn't the first of anything and certainly won't be the last although it was a great experience for us. Kesmai had many great titles and we remember them with fondness...

However, I do support your effort of calling out cheaters, but I question how effective it will be long term in dissuading others from doing likewise.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it's a bad idea to out banned players. There are other reasons I can think of, but here are three for now:

1. I'm not sure that the current staff nor future staff here are 100% infallible. It would unfathomably unfair to those wrongly detected of cheating to have their reputations potentially ruined for all games forever -- and retroactively.

2. It gives staff here too much power to deliver retribution beyond the boundaries of this game. They seem like decent people, but will they always be? Are they completely beyond corruption?

3. The internet never forgets. Everyone makes mistakes in life. Most of us (in life) show the aptitude to learn from them. I think everyone deserves a chance at a clean slate.
Everyone who was caught cheating the last time around did get a second chance, to be caught cheating again is kinda losing my capacity for forgiveness.

I would't be bothered either way post the names or not. However it doesn't matter, that charecter is gone and won't be back so why the need to post? Unless you know that persons other Char. and want to shun them.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwoth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
give me a break, flaming on the boards or saying something negative about europeans is grounds for any action at all let alone a ban?

a mature community would not get so butthurt over such a trivial nothing, but rather immature crybabies with paper thin skins that never learned the "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" mantra that the rest of the world learned in kindergarden.
/thread

But seriously, if you can't take an insult, and believe playing the cry to gm game over any insult is fostering a mature community, you lack any sort of balls or maturity, and are as far from an authority on the subject as possible.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Fire Giant

On posting the names of cheaters: I don't think it would make much of a positive difference. On the other hand, people of Darworth's caliber might actually like the notariety.

Darworth's attitude and post content are a nice example not only of the ugly side of PVP, but of the ugly side of humanity as well.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klyre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unless you know that persons other Char. and want to shun them.
^This
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autozoom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would love this on p99. Maybe it would scare some people away from cheating aswell. But an IP adress ban would be real nice. But it may backfire if your brother cheats and you don't.
Uhm, while IP addresses are fairly persistent they are not guaranteed to be permanent by your ISP. It'd really suck if your real-life neighbor got banned for cheating and then you wouldn't be able to play after the next power outage or reboot of the cable/DSL modem got "his" old DHCP lease (e.g. IP address) on your cable/DSL modem.

In the almost two years that I've played P'99 off and on my cable modem has had at least 6 or 7 IP addresses assigned to it...

Just sayin' ...
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uhm, while IP addresses are fairly persistent they are not guaranteed to be permanent by your ISP. It'd really suck if your real-life neighbor got banned for cheating and then you wouldn't be able to play after the next power outage or reboot of the cable/DSL modem got "his" old DHCP lease (e.g. IP address) on your cable/DSL modem.

In the almost two years that I've played P'99 off and on my cable modem has had at least 6 or 7 IP addresses assigned to it...

Just sayin' ...
That happens but its rare to get the exact same ip that was banned at random..

I did see it happen once before tho and the guy called up the game company and realized his account wasn't banned just that ip so they fixed it.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Sarnak

dikumud was the shit. I used to play on Perilous Realms server. Its where Brad stole all the ideas for EQ.
Closed Thread