Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New to EQ

Hello, I have always been fascinated by the stories of family members and friends, of this amazing word, and i was never able to share in their stories because i have never experienced the game. For this reason i decided to start a character on this classic server, i have never played EQ before.
as of right now i am playing a Bard, If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.], wish me luck.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome to EQ. Be prepared for an MMO before instancing (everything in game people have to compete over), rare-contested spawns, difficult quests, takes a long time to level, an actual real auction system.

Bards are good soloers later on, you can aoe kite multiple mobs and be pretty effective. Bards incur a 40% xp penalty, so it will take you longer to level up than some other characters. If you read into the getting started section you can see into this.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Kobold

Bards are excellent soloers from level 2, when they get chords of dissonance. You can start strafe-kiting at that level. I got my bard to 9 just by doing that with the gnolls outside Blackburrow and doing the fangs quest.

The 40% experience penalty really hurts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razdeline [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome to EQ. Be prepared for an MMO before instancing (everything in game people have to compete over), rare-contested spawns, difficult quests, takes a long time to level, an actual real auction system.

Bards are good soloers later on, you can aoe kite multiple mobs and be pretty effective. Bards incur a 40% xp penalty, so it will take you longer to level up than some other characters. If you read into the getting started section you can see into this.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Fire Giant

Oh how I wish I were in your shoes! Starting with a clean slate on a classic server...

Everything will be a joy of discovery for you. That's what I'm jealous of... it's all new for you. I'm glad for you to have found a classic server. It's pretty darn close to how it was despite all the handwringing and crying on the forums.

Remember, for any online game, the forums always paint a portrait of an unfair broken game. Take it with a grain of salt and prepare to ENJOY the OBSESSION!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Sarnak

Welcome ... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Kobold

Play on red99 server for real classic experience and some extra spice.

Blue server full of pansys and ita not classic anyways, it is kunark expansion
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daefuin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play on red99 server for real classic experience and some extra spice.

Blue server full of pansys and ita not classic anyways, it is kunark expansion
Can someone shed some light on this? Is this true? Or some red server guy trying to poach some players? Obviously Red doesn't have classic.. but I just returned from a year break from this and trying to decide which to play on. Don't want to start leveling on red if the server dwindles down below 200 players consistently after awhile.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidpants [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can someone shed some light on this? Is this true? Or some red server guy trying to poach some players? Obviously Red doesn't have classic.. but I just returned from a year break from this and trying to decide which to play on. Don't want to start leveling on red if the server dwindles down below 200 players consistently after awhile.
Classic = No expansions
Kunark = Expansion

Blue has kunark = not classic
Red has no expansions = classic

Populations are pretty even between the servers, one can have more than the other at a given time.

Red will eventually have kunark, but until that time it is the classic.

Also, blue sucks because it has no pvp, no additional spice to the gameplay.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daefuin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic = No expansions
Kunark = Expansion

Blue has kunark = not classic
Red has no expansions = classic

Populations are pretty even between the servers, one can have more than the other at a given time.

Red will eventually have kunark, but until that time it is the classic.

Also, blue sucks because it has no pvp, no additional spice to the gameplay.
I'm not sure that makes it "suck" - I never got very far in EQ originally - otherwise it might be a fun idea. But I'm sure I'll have a hard enough time on the regular server as it is trying to hit max level.

Do you think the red population will die off after the newness wears off?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidpants [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure that makes it "suck" - I never got very far in EQ originally - otherwise it might be a fun idea. But I'm sure I'll have a hard enough time on the regular server as it is trying to hit max level.

Do you think the red population will die off after the newness wears off?
I would expect it to go down a bit from what it is currently, but I don't think it will die off.

Alot of people had been looking forward to it for a long time, so as long as it is managed well I would figure on it getting scattered new players that hear about it and want to try EQ pvp on a decent emu to replace the random people that leave...at least to a reasonable degree.

Bottom line would be that if you want to try EQ pvp then have at it.
Closed Thread