Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You boxed on live and you paid for 2 accounts to do it . Here this is free which means people would box much more then 2 if they were allowed to do it. boxing clutters up the social aspect of the game as well it hordes camps.
Thanks for the comment, and I agree this very well could be the scenario. The free to play is a big difference from live for sure. But to play devils advocate (or should I say 2 boxers advocate), do you think there are many people on live who would have box'd consistently had they not had to pay for a second account? Everyone I knew that wanted to box didn't have an issue with it, while others would only box their friends char occasionally for rezs/ports/etc, and was fine with just having one account to themselves.

Perhaps I am being naive, I've just been suprised by how much people on this server dislike 2 boxers, whereas on my live server (tunare) it wasn't an issue at all. I've played off and on, on this server for about 2.5 years now depending on when friends get me to play or when they quit, so perhaps before thn (or during breaks) there has been big time issues with 2 boxers screwing up camps and such? So far I have not had any run in's with 2 boxers ruining a camp for me or anything else (it's usually pretty easy to spot them, and no I have not reported them. Not because i sympathize with them, but because I just don't really report anyone for anything.... probably due to laziness).
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by erog84 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am still baffled how there is so much hate towards 2 boxers. Yes it is against the rules, and there should be consequences. But from the sound of some people on here, it's almost as if those 2 boxers personally offended them IRL.

I'm sure a few of you on this thread are going to call me a boxer just because I don't agree with you guys!

On live I boxed all the time...
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyway, if you want to box, go do it on every other server ever.

On Project 1999, it is against the rules. Keep your filthy two-boxing ways out of here.
I will continue to diligently report any two-boxer I run into and assist the GMs in ferreting out these offenders.

- Eliphas Levi
Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavrefamn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will continue to diligently report any two-boxer I run into and assist the GMs in ferreting out these offenders.
Translation: I will form a witch hunt and yes, everyone posting here weighs the same as a duck. You're all two-boxers and reported.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by erog84 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
do you think there are many people on live who would have box'd consistently had they not had to pay for a second account?
I didn't like boxing from the moment it took root (seemed in my mind to start during Kunark on live). Mercs on live was the cure, though I'm sure people continue to box with mercs added as well over there.

I guess I'm a purist at heart, the game was created so that you could meet new people, level together, raid together.... not section yourself off from the community because you don't like the LFG time or because boxing is easier.

Different strokes for different folks, but for me one of the best draws of P99 is not having to put up with that shit going on here. Like some mentioned above, I'll continue to report suspected boxers if I'm 99% sure that I'm right (you can never be 100% sure unless someone tells you, right?).

As for sarcasm on my last post, it wasn't meant to be there. The forums really do serve to blow an issue out of proportion, and as the pages stack up on a thread like this its just made more of an issue. I've probably reported 4 sets of boxers since I started playing... its not going on around every corner that I've noticed but it makes me rage that bit harder when it goes on in places like Unrest or Mistmoore where spawns are at a premium during peak hours.

Sure, I'll never be able to tell if someone is logging on their "brother"'s account to check auctions in EC and do some trading on the side, but chances are the more he does that the more likely he is to get caught anyway...*applause* for Amelinda for staying vigilant on the issue.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't like boxing from the moment it took root (seemed in my mind to start during Kunark on live). Mercs on live was the cure, though I'm sure people continue to box with mercs added as well over there.

I guess I'm a purist at heart, the game was created so that you could meet new people, level together, raid together.... not section yourself off from the community because you don't like the LFG time or because boxing is easier.

Different strokes for different folks, but for me one of the best draws of P99 is not having to put up with that shit going on here. Like some mentioned above, I'll continue to report suspected boxers if I'm 99% sure that I'm right (you can never be 100% sure unless someone tells you, right?).

As for sarcasm on my last post, it wasn't meant to be there. The forums really do serve to blow an issue out of proportion, and as the pages stack up on a thread like this its just made more of an issue. I've probably reported 4 sets of boxers since I started playing... its not going on around every corner that I've noticed but it makes me rage that bit harder when it goes on in places like Unrest or Mistmoore where spawns are at a premium during peak hours.

Sure, I'll never be able to tell if someone is logging on their "brother"'s account to check auctions in EC and do some trading on the side, but chances are the more he does that the more likely he is to get caught anyway...*applause* for Amelinda for staying vigilant on the issue.
Thanks for the good comments. I think alot of interaction is healthy for the server, but there are times that I get on that I really don't want to group with anyone. Not because I want to hog the xp or loot, but just because sometimes it's nice to be off on my own. And why should I need to switch to a different game in those one out of every 2 week situations? Also as previously mentioned it would be nice to be able to box a tank or cleric when your group is just going to fall apart without one. Those would be the perks, but yes there is plenty of downside. It is against the rules of the server, and as I said before, there should be consequences.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, it made it a million times worse. These days, 99% of the people box because you can have a full group with 2 or 3 toons and mercs. Before, you had to play 2 chars. Now you can play one, have a couple of macros on the other one and let the mercs do the rest, so you don't need to invite anyone.

In many cases, you don't even get invited to a group if you don't have the right class merc.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Sarnak

Good god... this fourm has become that scab that people just can't quit picking at.. Its a MONSTER Jim... It's a MONSTER!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I boxed on Live... it was never an issue... granted if I got into a group with folks other than my friends, I'd drop one toon to focus on the group. Regardless of what people think about it, it honestly didn't ruin the game. Sure there were folks who preferred to box instead of group, but I wasn't one of them. My Brother in law, wife and I used to 2 box a group and we had fun with it. I don't see the harm in it.

Having said that, on this server it's against the rules, and I have no issue with it being against the rules, because it's clearly, VERY clearly established that it's against the rules. I just wish that Amelinda wasn't broadcasting it across the server. I understand why (and people STILL don't listen), but honestly, people don't need to see tht crap. Interactions between GM's and players aren't for the world to see, and they constantly complain about folks trying to dig into what happened. Don't broadcast it, just do what you need to do with the offending player and move on. Personally, that just comes across the wrong way. I get it, it's their server and they can be as mean and aloof as they want, but if they don't want players on the server, then just shut it down.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Aviak

Default Why bother?

"Busted a 4 boxer with 3 IPs". So unless theres 2 characters logged on with the same IP, Amelinda won't know to watch you. Almost sounds like entrapment.. here's your IP exemption and now i'm going to follow you around and wait for someone to AFK!

I remember when I raided on this server years ago people had setup VPN connections on their PCs so when they weren't available to play their friends could tunnel through their PC (thus using their IP) to box their account. No IP exemptions, no accounts playing from an unfamiliar IP, all appeared "normal". This sort of thing was rampant back then and I would suspect still goes on.

So while Uth/Amelinda were waiting to nail IP exempt abusers to a crucifix the real abusers/boxers got away scott free because it'd take too much resources to find and prove their abuse.

Moral of the story, if you need an IP exemption to play with someone then you're better off finding a VPN service, use your neighbours wireless, tether a smart phone or just play on live for free and avoid the headaches here. I hear eq mac is nice this time of year~
Old 03-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrubermn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just wish that Amelinda wasn't broadcasting it across the server.

Personally, that just comes across the wrong way. I get it, it's their server and they can be as mean and aloof as they want
Yeah GMs enforcing the established rules definitely comes across the wrong way.

Wait what?

- Eliphas Levi
Closed Thread