Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosaurio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh yea, I forgot that. Everybody two or three boxes. There are a million shamans and bards and 99% of them are boxed. With 3 chars and mercs you have a full group and many, many people don't bother grouping anymore.
I never understood that and still can't fathom it. I came back to EQ when a new blue server came up (Trakanon), having never really used mercs I soon got used to them. My shaman had a warrior merc who was extremely good and definitely a sustainable duo.

I don't like mercs, but in my mind they eliminated the need to give SOE your hard (or not hard) earned cash 3 times over :s
Old 04-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Orc

tank mercs can solo anything lvls 1-60

if they take out the overpowered mercs and defiant drops i think it would be fun, but of course soe just wants everyone to get as powerful as they can be to play the newest expansion
Old 04-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondiloons [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
tank mercs can solo anything lvls 1-60

if they take out the overpowered mercs and defiant drops i think it would be fun, but of course soe just wants everyone to get as powerful as they can be to play the newest expansion
It's less about "OMG Gotta get them into Veil of Alaris right now!" and more about "99% of our player base is long time players, and anyone new is likely a friend of one of those players and we don't want that friend sitting in the 50s for 4 months straight unable to play with their level 95 friend."

The level gap is just too big now. So they speed you through until like 70. Then level it off again.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never understood that and still can't fathom it. I came back to EQ when a new blue server came up (Trakanon), having never really used mercs I soon got used to them. My shaman had a warrior merc who was extremely good and definitely a sustainable duo.

I don't like mercs, but in my mind they eliminated the need to give SOE your hard (or not hard) earned cash 3 times over :s
Later on it's impossible to keep a merc up and kill stuff with just a shaman and tank in the group, you will need some extra chars. The easiest way forward? Box a DPS with a cleric merc. That's your second account.

Once you start boxing, it kind of becomes addictive because you realise that you don't need a group for anything, you HAVE a group. Then most people add another box, normally a shaman or bard because of the ADPS and ease of boxing.

If I remember correctly, it seems like most people 3 box, at least that's what seems to be discussed most often. That gives you a full group available 100% of the time.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 AM
Planar Protector

I used to 5 box all the time. 5 toons and one killer teir 5 Cleric Merc I had. Was pretty easy to do after awhile. Note: I had a pretty uber computer to do it with.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Aviak

The only thing I can get into on live anymore is the progression servers (which I left to start here). They are fun, for a time, but honestly still progress far too fast. When EQ went F2P I booted up a new toon on Vox and thought I might be able to make it work..but disgustingly logged off around level 10.

It's not the game I love anymore, so free or not I'll pass. Here's to hoping EQ Next is just classic EQ revamped with the same mechanics but cleaner graphics, am I right?
Closed Thread