Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Kobold

Default Exp penalty clarification? Bugged?

I started a Necro alt with a friend and he made an Enchanter. For the first 5 levels we leveled side by side without killing on our own, etc. we made our guys together so I know its not trickery!

Gnome Necro with no pet.

High-Elf Enchanter with no pet.

We kill a few things DING - enchanter is almost 1.5 yellow above my Necro. Wtf! Ok, so he logs and I even up exp. He logs back in once I level, and we kill again, again no pets.

DING 2 yellow above me? WTF is going on.

Fast forward to level 4, get pet out and we level together.. ding 2 yellow ahead of me, even with pet?

Do Necro's get exp penalty regardless of pet? I thought Enchanter and Necro were supposed to be in the -10% penalty.

Am I just wrong or is something bugged? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I don't know how it works but I have a human necro and my husband has a high elf enchanter, and when we play together with both our pets, he gets a little more exp than I do. He claims he gets a bonus because enchanters are so squishy. 0.0
Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Sarnak

Necros have a 10% penalty and Gnomes get +5%? That might be why? Unsure at this point.
Last edited by Kainzo; 05-24-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Kobold

There is a post somewhere with all the class and race experience modifiers, but I do not think that is the issue here. Both necros and enchanters have a 10% xp penalty, so that shouldn't be the problem unless it is a bug. One thing that you need to be aware of is the way xp works with pets. I'd suggest necroing one of those threads. They are somewhere in server chat. You can also look at old patch notes to see how the mechanics work.

It might not seem like a big deal, but if you can replicate a bug, you should def post about it in the bug section on the forums.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Fire Giant

From the P1999 FAQ below. Gnome Necro and HE Enchanter should level at the same rate. If not, you should Bug it with all the details you can so they can fix it.

Quote:
What are the experience penalties/bonuses?
By Race:
Troll -20%
Iksar -20%
Ogre -15%
Barbarian -5%
Halfling +5%

By Class:
Paladin / Shadowknight / Ranger / Bard -40%
Monk -20%
Wizard / Magician / Enchanter / Necromancer -10%
Rogue +9%
Warrior +10%
Last edited by Malrubius; 05-24-2010 at 12:46 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Aviak

IIRC that list is misleading.

My recollection is that hybrids *require* 40% more exp to level instead of gaining 40% less.

Gaining 40% less would require hybrids to get 67% more exp than, say, a shaman (0% mod) to level.

I also recall race/class penalties being multiplicative - that is, a Troll SK requires 1.68x normal exp (1.4 * 1.2) for being both a Troll and a Shadowknight. This is opposed to the additive case where they require 1.6x (+40% +20%).
Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Fire Giant

True enough. But as far as the OP's situation is concerned, there should be no difference.

If there is, then it may be a bug.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Aviak

A quick dev peek into zone/exp.cpp's AddEXP function ought to do the trick.

The out-of-the-box EQEmu code gives +5% bonus XP to Halflings, Rogues, and Warriors, but nothing else. (It also gives them bonus XP instead of requiring less to level [basically, this is a change in the code from classic regarding where this happens].)
Old 05-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Sarnak

It could be a number of things. The mobs you are killing could be different levels.. if you arent in a party - thats definitely something.

Killing 5 orcs at lvl 1 vs killing 5 bats at level one mean completely different exp.

What were the cons? were you in a grp? Remake two characters, put them in a group and see if the level gain is the same.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Kobold

Thanks guys, we are definitely in a party together, so that cuts out in zone or mob exp bonuses, etc.

We are physically in the same group, sharing exp.
Closed Thread