Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 04:06 PM
Banned

Who Was the Umbrella Man?
Old 06-15-2021, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Errol Morris is the best!

How many OT posters are in this Errol Morris documentary?
Old 06-15-2021, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Before you policial nut jobs jump down my throat hear me out.

1. Government says we will not require proof of vaccination
2. Privately own businesses such as restaurants get shut down
3. Other Privately own business require proof of vaccination

Can any else see the total hypocrisy of this situation?

The government tells you that you won't need to show your papers.
But it's all good if the private entities under that government demand to see your papers.
Meanwhile the government shuts down businesses that don't comply with what it tells them to do.

"We won't demand your papers but they will"
"They're a private owned business they can do as they please"

This is just like Twitter being allowed to censor people on their platform. People support them and say "THEY"RE A PRIVATE OWNED BUSINESS THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT." no seriously they type it in all caps
Meanwhile restaurants are privately owned businesses and get shutdown for doing "whatever they want"

There is so much hypocrisy in this situation in my opinion.

ps. you political nut jobs didn't even make it past the first line and just started replying. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait wait wait. The guy who claims to be a conservative (which means he should like small government) is upset about private businesses asking for proof of vaccination. This is literally what someone in favor of small government should want; i.e. the government says they aren't going to force people to prove vaccination and are going to leave it up to the individual private businesses to operate however they want.

Your examples also aren't really that analogous because the government shutting down businesses during a live pandemic for safety reasons isn't really the same as the government looking at vaccine data and saying "we think we have enough people vaccinated, and enough data showing how effective the vaccines are, that we don't think we need to exercise our public health authority here and businesses can decide what they want to do within that context."
Old 06-15-2021, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

What's interesting is that I feel closer to conservative ideals but I find myself all over the place. I like some liberal ideas and some democrat ideas too.

It's hard being a human. I'm willing to admit I don't like some things even if it means my political allies go wtf.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

This is a cool documentary. It's about a world where questioning things can turn you into a pariah.

Quote:
Rather than facing up to the real complexities of the world, we retreat and create a simpler fake version of it that the people in power use to great effect to maintain power, and because it's easier, we as a people abide by it.
There's an old saying from the soviet union, "if you see a shadow pointing in the wrong direction, dont ask about it."

The soviets used this philosophy to cover up failures right in front of every one's face. If you complain about something, or point out a failure? You were in effect attacking the state and it's capability to rule... so you're basically gaslit that you're insane or dumb for questioning anything that was wrong, even something as obvious as two shadows pointing in two different directions in broad dayight.

The tv series Chernobyl really illustrates this during scenes where nobody believes anyone about the reactor blowing up. Even with people dying of radiation poisoning, they were trying to cover it up in plain sight, just saying anyone who saw someone die of radiation poisoning was an unhinged lunatic or in shock.

The documentary goes into great detail about how this affected the lives and personalities of the citizens of the soviet union, and it also compares how we embrace the behavior outside of russia as well and how it might be affecting us.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:59 PM
Planar Protector

I wonder how Adam Curtis would feel about you degenerates trying to justify Trump telling his supporters to storm the Capitol and stop the peaceful transfer of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by found it
**What I realised about Trump, is that Trump is a product of that retreat into a simplified world. A lot of his language could come from the Occupy movement. He has this attitude: all politicians are shit. It’s almost like Seventies counterculture, joints being rolled on album covers, and really Trump is the end result of that attitude. And “Politics is shit” is one of the things that most influences the internet. You know – everything is bad. Well, yeah. But it’s naive and it’s a retreat.

**People believe Trump, because in the internet age, everyone has their own truths ** I did [documentary series] The Century of the Self, which is all about the rise of the individual as the most important thing. What I tried to show was that capitalism thought, “Great, we can give people lots of stuff that makes them feel like themselves”. The problem for politics is its very difficult to create a political movement out of hyper-individualistic people, because they all have their own version of the truth. It stops politicians pulling people together and uniting them. Politics has been destroyed by that. So Trump has accepted that – he’s said, well, everyone has their own truths, so I have my own truths.

**Trump probably even believes his own lies ** I mean, if you look at Trump, he’s the ultimate self-actualising individual. What he thinks at that moment up on stage is real. So if you’ve got a bunch of people locked inside their heads, how do you change the world? Because everyone has a different world. And that’s really what Trump has bought into focus, which is the inability of politicians to deal - it’s not a post truth world, it creates a post truth world, but what it really makes is a world where everyone has their own truth, and they are encouraged to believe that that is true.
Last edited by Horza; 06-15-2021 at 05:02 PM..
Old 06-15-2021, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

I wonder what he'd say about accusing someone being insane that they dont think a bunch of mentally handicapped people with no firearms were enacting a coup against the largest military in the world.

Oh yeah, he'd call it hypernormilization.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

The national guard they refused to send in for hours while congressmen called the president and pleaded with him to do something?
Old 06-15-2021, 05:07 PM
Planar Protector

They walked home at 6pm.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's an old saying from the soviet union, "if you see a shadow pointing in the wrong direction, dont ask about it."

The soviets used this philosophy to cover up failures right in front of every one's face. If you complain about something, or point out a failure? You were in effect attacking the state and it's capability to rule... so you're basically gaslit that you're insane or dumb for questioning anything that was wrong, even something as obvious as two shadows pointing in two different directions in broad dayight.
That pretty much describes Gov. Fife Symington.
Closed Thread