Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Orc

I for one enjoyed my "classic" experience barding this weekend. I can't think of anything more classic than spamming LFG/trying to put together groups for 8 hours, then logging off in frustration at wasting 8 hours and accomplishing nothing. Really this is the one thing that classic live EQ had that I'm not used to from p1999, and it does bring back deja vu of live.

Sure I miss logging on for an hour or two, doing a few kites then logging for RL, but where is the "classic" experience of staring hopefully at the screen wishing for a group, and being disappointed.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I for one enjoyed my "classic" experience barding this weekend. I can't think of anything more classic than spamming LFG/trying to put together groups for 8 hours, then logging off in frustration at wasting 8 hours and accomplishing nothing. Really this is the one thing that classic live EQ had that I'm not used to from p1999, and it does bring back deja vu of live.

Sure I miss logging on for an hour or two, doing a few kites then logging for RL, but where is the "classic" experience of staring hopefully at the screen wishing for a group, and being disappointed.
^^this
Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Sarnak

Hopefully this server does not follow suit on every classic move Verant / Sony did in those early days. I remember a week plus between patches when _all_ bard songs were broken! I forgot the details, but I think it was bards could not move during ~casting~ of their songs. Even during the heat of combat, swinging a weapon meant the bard moved.

Ahhh the days of getting a patch to fix the patch that was suppose to fix the patch to a broken part of the expansion. Add that Bristlebroken server seemed down more than up during those times, looking back, I must have been a masochist...
Old 06-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Orc

There are a few things I'd like to say to the bard 'haters' on this thread:

1. I'm sorry you're upset that bards can level faster.
2. Please don't expect people to believe you're doing a ton of exping in OT/FV/SK. On red anyway these aren't really places people go to exp. On blue are these places clamoring with people looking to exp?
3. While you dislike bards (see 1.) as several of us have pointed out not every bard is an ass. I've never turned down someone who wanted in on a group, even if all they can do is sit there. I've grouped with guilds I like, and even invited people have previously tried to kill me/root me while swarming.

What this seems to come down to is, people are angry bards exp quicker. If bards couldn't swarm people would complain about druids/wizards quadding.

One thing I'm sure of is there will always be unhappy people complaining about something.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Julae [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know? I don't think it's every zone. I was swarm kiting fine in Qeynos Hills and SK the other day. I actually believe the devs sped up the mobs in select zones where they do not want bards swarm kiting , to which I agree is a good thing as it forces bards at higher levels to be group friendly classes by "classic" design.
In Freeport noobie zones all mobs are running faster. In East Commons, with SoW you cannot out run cats or bears if you run in a straight line.

This is clearly not intended. The question is, how many people have lost xp due to this bug and how long will it take those people to earn that xp back?
Old 06-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are a few things I'd like to say to the bard 'haters' on this thread:

1. I'm sorry you're upset that bards can level faster.
2. Please don't expect people to believe you're doing a ton of exping in OT/FV/SK. On red anyway these aren't really places people go to exp. On blue are these places clamoring with people looking to exp?
3. While you dislike bards (see 1.) as several of us have pointed out not every bard is an ass. I've never turned down someone who wanted in on a group, even if all they can do is sit there. I've grouped with guilds I like, and even invited people have previously tried to kill me/root me while swarming.

What this seems to come down to is, people are angry bards exp quicker. If bards couldn't swarm people would complain about druids/wizards quadding.

One thing I'm sure of is there will always be unhappy people complaining about something.
Thank you for posting this. People have to realize that bard swarming IS in fact classic we can just do it better now because of the upgrade in technology since it's time. I agree with this post entirely.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Fire Giant

It is classic. This hurts much more than bards..cannot get a mob in camp without it on your back beating the shit out of you..your chanter charming? well no chance in hell to get a stun off after charm break..mobs on top of you quicker than a fat kid on an cupcake..

This is stupid. haynar has fixed, but roegan has to push to the patch to the servers.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is classic. This hurts much more than bards..cannot get a mob in camp without it on your back beating the shit out of you..your chanter charming? well no chance in hell to get a stun off after charm break..mobs on top of you quicker than a fat kid on an cupcake..

This is stupid. haynar has fixed, but roegan has to push to the patch to the servers.
Thats what i don't understand. Why haven't they rolled the patch out im sure they have most of the bugs stomped by now that the patch made im just curious as to why they havent said anything to an upcoming patch. When, Where, and Why kinda thing

Edit: Not going to pretend like i know what im talking about timing patches im more just curious if there is a special reason why they are waiting.
Last edited by ECDubz; 06-15-2015 at 02:08 PM..
Old 06-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but AMD K6 series and Intel 200/233 Mhz processors existed in 1999.

486 was several years old by the end of the 90s.
K6, brings back memories, that was rig when I played EQ originally, stuck a voodoo 2 on it, zoning took forever until I added more ram.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Fire Giant

I personally love bards. If I ever see one lfg I try and get them invited if we have room. The bards I know are awesome players. I couldn't play one don't have the patience or desire to.

That said when xping and finding every mob I have been pulling or even trying to pull missing and then seeing them go by in mass it is frustrating. It isn't envy at the bards ability to kill it all. It is annoyance at the bard pulling everything whether someone else is there or not. Then the fact that you have the few with the arrogance enough to rub your face in it.

In the end I don't remember ever seeing bards in vanilla-Kunark kiting whole zones or even half of zones. I know the first I remember on wide scale was in I think Legacy of Ykesha I think it was either Port of Gunthrak or Harbor of Dulak that bards started kiting all the mobs.
Closed Thread