Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Server GM

Anyone confirm if it's fixed?
Old 02-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Large Bat

Originally Posted by Badrice
So I may have found the problem and a solution, Windows defender updated at 5:13pm pst. I went into defender and added an exclusion for the Sony folder where EQ is held and rebooted. Mine is now working. Its under Defender >>> Virus Threat protection settings >> manage settings >>> exclusions. This is where you want to add your install folder to the exception. Reboot and give it a shot
Old 02-05-2020, 01:23 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I have gotten in for the first time in 100 tries.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:23 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPuma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm in Canada on Telus. I use MacAfee, tried disabling Real Time Scanning and Firewall... Also confirmed no port forwarding on modem.

Played last night no problem.

Today just get blank list.

Tried Admin trick and no luck, still get blank list.

As so many people are having same problem in different areas and Internet providers and antivirus software, it must be an issue on P1999 end of things.

Look forward to a resolve later on.
I contacted McAfee for customer assistance, they found it was not McAfee, Firewall or Router. I also run Malware Bytes and it turns out that it was causing my problem... Malware Bytes has all required files in Excluded List, but still was blocking it. Maybe Malware Bytes did update last night that changed something.

So if you run Malware Bytes too, try disabling it and running EQ, see if it fixed it.

Worked for me.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:29 PM
Kobold

All these "workarounds" are just red herrings. You will sometimes get lucky and get a server list or get in.

We're now getting a list of invalid server entries -- looks like a bunch of IP addresses mixed with a dyndns hostname. I suspect an improper config.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:33 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Seems the server list is ingesting data from some file at an incorrect point. The top hundred entries are all random octets from some IP addresses, rather than server names. The population numbers are all the same very large number. I also spotted dyndns in the column where the servernames are displayed. Anywhere there would be a proper server name, it showed LOCKED. I did perform the windows defender exclusion / reboot method with no change in success. Clicking Play on a locked server resulted in client freeze/crash.

I was able to get in by clicking CHAT button at the server select screen. This seemed to "update" the population lists, resulting in the P99 servers appearing in the list with realistic population numbers. Clicking Play Everquest from here resulted in successfully loading to char select and then into world.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:35 PM
Fire Giant

Evoroot, the hero Green needed.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I'm having the same issue at 9:36am. On the website it says they are up with 500ish people logged in, but when I try to log in green doesn't even show up and several others show "locked"
Old 02-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Skeleton

Default This worked for me

Thanks evoroot
Old 02-05-2020, 01:37 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Cheers guys, glad to hear Norrath will be less lonely today [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]