Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 10:27 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The takeaway there is, much like the TAKP server that emulates it, its easy to share and rotate when you have a mere fraction of the population of the more popular servers.
wasn't EQMac hitting at least 1000 players at peek?
Old 04-24-2021, 07:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gredoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wasn't EQ Mac locked at PoP until it's death? I think one could look at that as a example of how healthy a everquest server run long past it's expiry date fairs in terms of content.
Your very own post I was responding to is talking about it being past its peak. I'm sure there's some people on TAKP who played there and would know what the population was like in the years after they stopped updating and supporting the server. I was under the impression it was a more small and tight knit community as the years went on.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:23 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your very own post I was responding to is talking about it being past its peak. I'm sure there's some people on TAKP who played there and would know what the population was like in the years after they stopped updating and supporting the server. I was under the impression it was a more small and tight knit community as the years went on.
I'm more curious in general what eqmac population was like in it's last years - like are we talking 300 at peak or 2000? I'd consider p99 a 'tight knit' community.

So if server population is similar to P99 did it have the same problems - a couple guilds dominating all the content,causing endless drama, and leaving no pixels for the casual who can't drop everything to login and race?

Question i'm really asking is if PoP is sorta the sweet spot for Everquest where there is enough content for everyone but not too much of a desert
Old 04-24-2021, 09:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gredoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm more curious in general what eqmac population was like in it's last years - like are we talking 300 at peak or 2000? I'd consider p99 a 'tight knit' community.

So if server population is similar to P99 did it have the same problems - a couple guilds dominating all the content,causing endless drama, and leaving no pixels for the casual who can't drop everything to login and race?

Question i'm really asking is if PoP is sorta the sweet spot for Everquest where there is enough content for everyone but not too much of a desert
This is what ruined Everquest in the first place IMO (at least for me..)

Everyone wanting to participate.. I get it but it actually ruined MMORPGS in general.

Today, MMORPGs are literally made for the ultra casual basically.. Something like WoW today may be a little different but generally everything being made so anyone can have anything they want.. Paying for that feat is also an option now adays.

Seems all inclusive, but is actually all exclusive.. Literally everyone was arguing this on live, whining about guilds having control when that is literally what a guild is suppose to do. So then what, make more servers, spread the community way out.

This was a fucking disaster in Dark age of Camelot, they spread everything so thin, then had to mash the servers back today (Server clusters are dumb) just so a bunch of people can get everything they want.. get bored.. and leave anyways.

There is zero loyalty in players who just want control. Those Guilds who have control work hard at it.. It isn't hard to see, and they deserve their pence.

This way of thinking about EQ really just puts more money in the pocket of the developer (short term..) and kind of forces the dev to just keep pushing out garbage content for a specific type of people that alienate the core audience.

Doing this IMO goes against the core of your character being built and ruins any sort of feat that came from actually doing quests and tasks because to deal with this developers dumb the game down.

With Role Playing games in general, Online versions especially, you are suppose to Role Play (or at least you were suppose to back when people had imagination..) So if you are a casual, roleplay someone who is a casual.. But of coarse that suggestion today seems silly because everyone wants everything easy. MMORPGs have become achievement hunter games for people who just want every title, every item, every alt varietion of class, every race..

Ironic gamers called Everquest players "Carebears" but the truth is the game use to be hardcore.

"Content for everyone" leads to Instancing.. And zero desire for that content any longer, the magic is gone, the immersion is gone.. and really disagreement with this usually just comes out as the reality that people who need this all inclusive game design never really played the game for the Role Play aspect of the mmoRPG genre so id had hoped developers would just let them fall off the game, instead they catered to them.

There will always be an argument between PoP and Classic. PoP people want to force the player base (you wouldn't have on a PoP server..) to play on a PoP server.. So dumb.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:14 PM
Kobold

We could use more raid content. I think that’s the biggest drive behind the ideas.

Luclin and/or PoP is one way to do that.

Another would be: buff some existing mobs/zones.

Talendor, Faydedar, Phini, Naggy and Vox (fun idea: have existing 52 lock versions spawn in LS and Pf with banishment - put buffed versions in dungeon), something in Paw, CT (zone).

Or even easier.

Give each class guild GM a head drop - to turn into another GM.

Honestly, without any more expansions or content additions, all that happens is content shrinks.

Items get nerfed (either along timeline or not). More restrictions/limits put on raid guilds (fewer chances at mobs).

Wow - same reason people ask for rotating zems. Desire for more content. (Vs staying in one zone forever).
Old 04-24-2021, 10:39 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-24-2021, 11:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We could use more raid content.

Desire for more content.
No we don't need more raid content. You want it because you've exhausted what you have, but many people come and go and others still show up for whom the progression path is still viable and novel.

The project has delivered exactly what it promised. We have a place to play classic through Velious EQ in a decent emulation of what the game was.

This isn't a live video game, there's zero obligation to keep feeding anyone more or newer raid content. If P99 no longer delivers for you then its time for you to either move on or adjust your expectations.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Content for everyone" leads to Instancing.. And zero desire for that content any longer, the magic is gone, the immersion is gone.. and really disagreement with this usually just comes out as the reality that people who need this all inclusive game design never really played the game for the Role Play aspect of the mmoRPG genre so id had hoped developers would just let them fall off the game, instead they catered to them.
For everquest we aren't talking about any of that simply providing enough enticing content for the hardcore to fight over so scraps are left for the casuals. How many years has the current content been effectively trivial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There will always be an argument between PoP and Classic. PoP people want to force the player base (you wouldn't have on a PoP server..) to play on a PoP server.. So dumb.
Folks have invested a lot of time and effort into p99 - for better or worse it's where the population is. Why would anyone join a server with 200 players (half of which are going to be boxs) when p99 is hitting - right now 1025 players on green and 686 on blue?
Old 04-25-2021, 01:30 AM
Banned

Aradune TLP Starts POP on Wednesday j/s. Got 120 aas ready to spend too!
Old 04-25-2021, 05:15 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
For everquest we aren't talking about any of that simply providing enough enticing content for the hardcore to fight over so scraps are left for the casuals. How many years has the current content been effectively trivial?

Folks have invested a lot of time and effort into p99 - for better or worse it's where the population is. Why would anyone join a server with 200 players (half of which are going to be boxs) when p99 is hitting - right now 1025 players on green and 686 on blue?
Not saying you are wrong or anything. I know the feeling but.. Try having zero content for 10 years I mean I have been watching EQEmu development for what seems like 20 years and everything had been really really slow the first 10 years, No one else really even tried.. this last 5 years has been amazing for p99 and as much as I agree I find that this stretched out growth gives people time to really digest the content.

And to be honest, I don't play end game period. I could play Blue for 40 years and still have shit to do, I am very casual.

I HOPE the owners are focused on preservation of the content in their individual eras rather than preservation of "entertained players", So id love to see something like this:

Blue (Velious)
Green (Kunark)
Purple (SoL)
Poop-Brown(PoP)

Hard lock the servers at those expansions, Actually preserving the game as it should.

Planetside has zero players on its emulated server.. Sad, but kinda shows how good EQ is, and Blue having the amount of players it has at the moment is kind of example of how this locking of servers at specific expansions is a good idea. IMO.
Closed Thread