Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh man, i wish the quality was better but the compression in your video this is the best I could do... PM me awesome vids you want turned into gifs and Timecodes you specificaly want and ill pop em back to you to help spread the word.

Honestly this stuff looks fun dudes!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

*EDIT* Now get Swish to caption the shit out of this.
I tried! Even in a really shitty quality it seemed to be 29MB, which would have phone users getting mad... but I'll keep looking at your uploads, there's been some good ones [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tried! Even in a really shitty quality it seemed to be 29MB, which would have phone users getting mad... but I'll keep looking at your uploads, there's been some good ones [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Black and white tends to cut MBs, is it an option to try?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Orc

Will never play on Red as it is.

Reason 1 : FFA is a clear no, no. I simply cannot understand the drive to kill some player who asked nothing, was doing his camp annoying nobody and had no possibility to defend himself anyway. Yes this was my case. I had the unpleasant impression that the people who were killing me were insane if THAT was how they get their gaming pleasure.

Reason 2 : The people on Red were toxic. Not only toxic on ooc but toxic as in bent mind (see 1).

Reason 3 : The levelling is a grind in EQ by construction. On the red it is triple grind and as a premium you have to watch over your shoulder all the time to check if some grinning lunatic is not creeping behind your back.

The only way I see some PvP making sense in EQ is RvR or Team (like DAOC, TESO, Wow ....). The insanity seems to be easier to be supported when it is shared with a crowd having the same ennemy you have. On top it minimizes the most unpleasant experience which is to be PKed by a much stronger player who enjoys the school bully mentality. I could play Team PvP on EQ but never ever FFA.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Banned

In the spirit of the request, I'm trying my best to answer without making suggestions...

If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit?

I avoided it for the longest time due to my family members not wanting to play red. Then I tried it for the exp bonus figuring the fast leveling would make playing alone ok. Turns out the exp bonus was supposedly nerfed right before I started. This is based on what I heard -- I only had the one experience and have nothing to compare it to.

What did you like about the server?

The idea of fast leveling. Given the inherent class imbalance in EQ, I think quickly getting through the lower levels where you don't have all of your abilities sounds appealing.

Would you want to play again? If not, why?

Possibly. If there is a revamp and, depending on what is implemented, I might play.
Last edited by Kayso; 05-01-2014 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Keeping shit real, homie
Old 05-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Sarnak

For me there isn't really anything compelling about red that would make me go there.
It isn't a fresh new server.
Its population is generally at least 5 times lower than blue.
I may be wrong on this one as I don't truly know red mechanics, but as an Enchanter I'm pretty sure that I'd end up somewhat gimped by my stuns and AoE mezzes affecting group members?
While I could probably learn to work around that, why not just wait for T99 instead to answer all 3 of my issues?
Above all though for me at least, right now I just don't have the time. Maybe in a few weeks when the semester ends if I don't feel like leveling another alt on blue and the pop keeps rising I might try red out.

I should add that I am actually interested in EQ pvp, but R99 has just never felt like it brought anything to the table that would make me go there, hell I don't even really mind playing a different class.
Last edited by Castigate; 05-01-2014 at 05:38 PM..
Old 05-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Fire Giant

1) Your forum community for red is deplorable. Bunch of testosterone-fueled tough-guy talk. It exists in blue server chat too, but I don't go to red chat. So, I only see the posts from Red on the blue forums, which is filled with these people. My interpretation of the red community is based off of these posts. People in this thread are definitely not reversing my thoughts about this.

Just FYI, this is yet again another 'play red' on the blue forum. I wish it would stop.

2) EQ PvP was never good. I played RZ & SZ on live and preferred SZ 100% more, and I still hated it enough to quit once I got my wiz to 60.

3) I would much rather help people than hurt people. I have 0 desire to gank someone or to steal someones camp via PvP. If I wanted to PvP I'd play a game explicitly designed as such. I am here to relive my classic days, not get angry over a griefer or to ruin someone else's day.

There is a reason EQ PVP was pretty much never successful. Not sure what we're going for here.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 05-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Sarnak

If you played on Red 1999 in the past, why did you quit?

I played for like twenty minutes once when blue was down.

What did you like about the server?
Global OOC is pretty cool. XP was really fast, but again, it was like twenty minutes.

Would you want to play again?
I'm always tempted to try red. I probably wouldn't commit to it fully, and can only really play EQ in spurts every few weeks, but the fast xp helps mitigate that. I love PVP in general.

Going to answer the below because I basically have never experienced what red is actually like. I've never even fought anyone, because every zone I was in was empty at the time.

If you have never played on Red 99, what has kept you away?
First, some background: I exclusively play PVP servers in every MMO but EQ. I play some F2P MMOs purely to PVP (ToR, Rift). League of Legends is my third favorite PC game of all time, so I'm used to absolutely shitty communities, and trash talk doesn't bug me.

That said, Red seems to be full of sociopaths. What they seem to want isn't even PVP really, it's just an excuse to be a dickbag to people. Sure they describe epic fights at dragons and whatnot (which sounds cool), but let's be real for a minute. Just look at the dick-waving in this thread - it's like they can't help themselves.

You might be able to make EQ PVP fun. I don't know. I know it doesn't seem fun, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Teams would go a long way there. House rules and non-classic tuning would go even further. That said, I don't think you can make that community anything I'd want to be a part of.

Also, a dude.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Planar Protector

If you have never played on Red 99, what has kept you away?

that there isn't permanent death for a character if killed by another player. i like pvp if it has a huge punishment factor otherwise it's just blue where people can do more than bombard you with text.
Last edited by Ahldagor; 05-01-2014 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: clarification purposes
Old 05-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Sarnak

played, was ganked 3x by the same lovely, will never go back. bye.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmakos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i got jumped by way too many people 8 levels above me while i was already fighting a mob and i was low health.

meaningful PVP is one thing. running around just to gank easy kills and get some YT is dumb though.
The level range 1-60 on Red 99 is now +/- 4. So no more getting jumped by someone 8 levels higher than you.
still sucks getting jumped by anyone regardless of level you when you are already actively engaged with a mob. perhaps i'm just whining, though -- i preferred to solo when i played red, and that issue wouldn't have been so bad if i had grouped more.

still, though -- back in the day on Zek servers on live it was considered very poor taste to jump someone who was actively engaged with an EXP mob. different if its a good named or a raid mob, of course. but why jump an unguilded soloer fighting dar ghoul knights in LGuk? (it wasn't even FoH btw, i had an agreement worked out with Chewie) would make far more sense to try to recruit an unguilded soloer rather than potentially giving them an EXP death.