Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by theG33K [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly it's a crap shoot, some times it's on the first try, others on the 10th. I've had to attempt for 15 minutes straight on occasion. It will show up, eventually....
Well, I've tried 50 times in a row on several occasions and the one time the it actually showed a server list it would not let me log into Project 1999 because of an error.

I'm trying it under VirtualBox with Direct3D enabled. We'll see if this lets me play under Linux, because I'm tired of trying to code under Windows during downtime (which is considerable when solo'ing as my wife tends to play WoW/Landmark.)

EDIT: Well, Virtualbox was a waste of time. Nothing but a black screen, no matter what was tried. Not sure what else to do here... but it's not ISP or time of day related.
Last edited by nerdvsgeek; 03-21-2015 at 09:05 PM..
Old 08-28-2015, 04:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvsgeek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, I've tried 50 times in a row on several occasions and the one time the it actually showed a server list it would not let me log into Project 1999 because of an error.

I'm trying it under VirtualBox with Direct3D enabled. We'll see if this lets me play under Linux, because I'm tired of trying to code under Windows during downtime (which is considerable when solo'ing as my wife tends to play WoW/Landmark.)

EDIT: Well, Virtualbox was a waste of time. Nothing but a black screen, no matter what was tried. Not sure what else to do here... but it's not ISP or time of day related.
This is pretty old but might want to try VirtualBox again, it has 3D acceleration built into the Guest Additions now. Probably previously they weren't there yet, or weren't working.

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Fire Giant

If you have problems with gamma on EQ under LINUX:

I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 and all of a sudden EQ was pretty dark and the gamma slider won't adjust gamma at all. I added the following to my script that runs EQ to set the gamma for the game and reset it afterwards:

xrandr --output DP-2 --gamma 2.0:2.0:2.0
taskset -c 0 wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null
xrandr --output DP-2 --gamma 1.0:1.0:1.0

Regards,
Mg

Old 11-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thumbs up This fixed my missing spells file error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laugher [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

had some shortcut troubles for a couple minutes because I began with this guide and ended with another Deru posted on (woops), overall though pretty smooth once I figured all that out, also had to replace dsetup.dll with a renamed and capitalized DSETUP.dll from the v33 files (when it comes to Linux I learned that at least with files/overwriting it is case sensitive, good to know [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] )

up and running now, big thanks to everyone in this thread, the Spell File Outdated Issue/dsetup.dll resolution, and Ruien's Guide to EQ under Linux.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am totally new to project 99 as of this week, but I was an EQ player back in the day. I am now running on Linux Mint 17.2. it took a little bit to find a good install of EQ Titanium, and then I had to copy the .ini file to get the EQ play window to become visible. Then when I was finally able to log in I was getting the "spells file out of date" error in the char select screen. Turned out to be the case of the dsetup.dll file name that was the issue. I deleted the one that came with EQ and pasted in the one from p99v40. All is well now.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread and major thanks to the original poster. I am very excited to play classic EQ again. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-11-2015, 01:06 PM
Large Bat

Default I came, I tried and I failed horribly...

So Ive been using microsoft for ever but decided to check out linux since there are people out there praising linux ( god knows why I guess). I decided to install Linux on an old laptop that used to run windows XP.

What I have now is Linux Ubuntu and no other OS on laptop. After I installed Ubuntu I tried installing Spotify wich was suprisingly difficult for someone that doesnt know Linux, After 1 hour I made it due to nice people posting vids on youtube... /sigh...
I also installed wine somewhere in that process after watching a video on "need to have programs on Linux" on youtube...

Why does it have to be so hard to do the simplest things. Couldnt they invent some form of .exe file on linux to prevent all this code writing ?

Anyways I recently tried installing Everquest after reading this guide on my linux and I failed horribly...

I downloaded EQ Titanium torrent and installed it using a disc image program (like daemon tools).
Then I installed it in a folder within Ubuntu called C:/EQEmu (wich I btw spendt some time after trying to locate to delete the files as project1999 mentions) eqarena.eqg etc. Ofc I installed the v40 files from project1999 page before deleting these files ofc.

Then I tried to right click EQ icon on desktop to stop patching and tried to apply the correct address wich I have no idea if actually was correct address or if it worked..

I also made a shortcut for LaunchTitanium on desktop.

Do I use the EQ icon or LaunchTitanium to start EQ ?

If Linux is such a great OS, then why is stuff so complicated to do ? sudo apt this, sudo apt that, wine here and wine there.. Anyways.. I cant get EQ to work on my Ubuntu apparenlty. Would be nice with a video showing exactly what to do on youtube if anyone is able to do that.

Sorry to you linux lovers out there but I just dont feel like learning how to do codes and stuff in a new OS, I just wanto play EQ... :S
Old 11-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eider85 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry to you linux lovers out there but I just dont feel like
learning how to do codes and stuff in a new OS, I just wanto play EQ... :S
For the record, I've been using GNU/Linux exclusively since 1998 until recently that I need Photoshop for my work.

Why don't you stick with MS Windows instead? It's a great one-size-fits-all operating system - it's both easy to use and you said you're familiar with it already. Waste your time fighting orcs and not a new OS.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eider85 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What I have now is Linux Ubuntu and no other OS on laptop. After I installed Ubuntu I tried installing Spotify wich was suprisingly difficult for someone that doesnt know Linux, After 1 hour I made it due to nice people posting vids on youtube... /sigh...
Usually means the app developer doesn't care much about linux. It should be easy if the developer makes an effort.

Quote:
Why does it have to be so hard to do the simplest things. Couldnt they invent some form of .exe file on linux to prevent all this code writing ?
They do have them. They're called binaries. Though you can also run lots of windows exe files too using Wine. The reason you have to go through extra steps is because linux still kinda sucks a little bit at having a universal package management system because every distro is trying to be king of the hill - stupidly.

Anyways I recently tried installing Everquest after reading this guide on my linux and I failed horribly...

Quote:
Do I use the EQ icon or LaunchTitanium to start EQ ?
Neither. You make whatever kind of shortcut you can that will run "wine eqgame.exe patchme"

Quote:
If Linux is such a great OS, then why is stuff so complicated to do ? sudo apt this, sudo apt that, wine here and wine there.. Anyways.. I cant get EQ to work on my Ubuntu apparenlty. Would be nice with a video showing exactly what to do on youtube if anyone is able to do that.
You're expecting Linux to be able to provide a painless experience with emulating Windows? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Doing the reverse (Linux on Windows, using cygwin for example) is just as hard.

The biggest issue is that there are too many chiefs and not enough indians with the developers; i.e. too many forks of too many OS components. Though even still it's pretty easy to use linux if you can read written instructions.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:35 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I followed the tutorial on YouTube to install EverQuest on Windows, but now I want to try it on Linux Mint 17.2. I have copied the install folder over to "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/Everquest". When I type "wine eqgame.exe patchme" I get this message:

fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32ebd8,0x00000000), stub!

And then a window pops up saying something about Nvidia drivers (I have GTX 700), and an option to "continue anyway" which I hit and then a serious error occurs and this spits out over and over again:

err:winedbg:dbg_handle_debug_event 0027:0028: not a registered process or thread (perhaps a 16 bit one ?)
err:winedbg:dbg_handle_debug_event 0027:0028: not a registered process or thread (perhaps a 16 bit one ?)

My wine version is 1.6.2 and I installed it from the package manager.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Decaying Skeleton

This is a pretty good walk through on how to use playOnLinux to run EQ

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/...inux-pon.1185/

best of luck
Old 01-16-2016, 12:01 AM
Fire Giant

Just installed a new Ubuntu 15.01 on a laptop (mostly cuz Win10 is totally screwed up on a HP Zbook17 with dual Intel / Nvidea graphics) and ran into the "no servers on login server screen" problem. Found this:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=218666

Installed and compiled p99-login-middlemand program, and changed my script to the following:

#!/bin/bash
~/bin/p99-login-middlemand &
echo $! >/tmp/p99middle.pid
cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/EverQuest99"
taskset -c 0 padsp wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null
kill -9 $(cat /tmp/p99middle.pid)

EQ now works like a charm again!

Regards,
Mg

Last edited by mgellan; 01-16-2016 at 12:08 AM..