Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh, you wanna get all "basic economics" on us, do you?

Fair enough.
Removing the sellers more quickly probably would help keep relatively innocent people out of this stuff. As everyone keeps saying, a lot of people from classic have jobs and families now and it's quite tempting to buy at least a little plat. If sellers know bans are happening routinely, they may be less likely to attempt to enter the p1999 market.

I think the more courteous thing to do would be to handle punishment a little more organically. You bought 10k? Let me delete 10k from your account, or a 10k item... Obviously this wouldn't work for every case, but at least then some people would be allowed to go on contributing to p1999 population.

It's crappy there's such a strict perma-ban policy on this. The damage has been done by the time the transactions are over (especially for such a delayed ban wave). Give a few of the less-guilty parties their accounts back and they'll know not to do it again, and also warn their friends not to participate in that stuff.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneysee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The moral indignation in these threads are hilarious. You're all playing on a reverse-engineered server! A company spent a lot of time and effort into making this game and you're getting all of this for free! So everyone playing this game is a "dirty whistle" as one fellow likes to repeatedly say. To the others who are just flabbergasted that people would pay money to get an edge or have more fun in a game are either naive or stupid. Take a basic economics course. Most problems come with two solutions, you can spend time or money. If I have more money than time then I will probably take advantage of this and do whatever I can to have more fun with the limited play time that I have.
It's not so cut and dried. Sony lost the legal battle against Bleem's emulators, remember. It would depend on how much EQEmu is like Winter's Roar, who lost their fight. Retrofitting programs to work with the Sony client is not so wrong.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You...are an interesting individual.

Caught red-handed throwing cash at items on a server you knew full well was flying under the radar, and now you're slyly hoping for retribution against that server?

Are you a total dick for a living? I wouldn't be surprised, as you're clearly making enough money at it to buy your way to emulated success.
Lol, here is the hypocrisy again. If I suggest the same thing happen to this server that happened to RMT's you get upset. Why? It's the same thing isn't it? Believe it or not, outside of this here emulator there is another world. It too has its own set of rules. The very existence of this community is violating some of these rules. Shouldn't retribution be delivered? Then all livers can congregate in their forums and call us scumbags.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysprung [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How do you figure? The server was doing just fine back when it was allowed.
sony and enforcement of their intellectual property. server combats folks making money off of sony ip so sony goes okay they can stay up cause it's not like sony is going to get a cut.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezilla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the more courteous thing to do would be to handle punishment a little more organically. You bought 10k? Let me delete 10k from your account, or a 10k item... Obviously this wouldn't work for every case, but at least then some people would be allowed to go on contributing to p1999 population.

It's crappy there's such a strict perma-ban policy on this. The damage has been done by the time the transactions are over (especially for such a delayed ban wave). Give a few of the less-guilty parties their accounts back and they'll know not to do it again, and also warn their friends not to participate in that stuff.
I wish this was a possibility too...I offered to poof the things I bought but we don't make the rules here. I can understand that they want to make a point it just sucks to be on the receiving end [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not so cut and dried. Sony lost the legal battle against Bleem's emulators, remember. It would depend on how much EQEmu is like Winter's Roar, who lost their fight. Retrofitting programs to work with the Sony client is not so wrong.
Things rarely are with the law. I honestly don't think they care either. I think we can safely say it's a legal grey area though.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappytwotoes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So much morality BS here.

RMT doesn't make you a bad person any more than speeding on the freeway. Someone breaking the rules doesn't give ANYONE reason to get up on their high horse and condemn.

Everyone has broken rules for their own convenience, we're all human. The real crime is acting like a righteous person when someone else did something wrong.

Well when someone smokes weed and it's against the law, I couldn't care less. Enjoy!

Unless or course they're driving, or flying a plane, or are supposed to be protecting the rest of us(e.g. if they were on guard duty at a compound I worked at), and somehow my person, property, or time was disrespected as a result of them being stupid, then I think I could indeed get on my high horse and condemn.

That's the thing with RMT: It harms everyone. For those of us who are still beating up HHK guards for fine steel to make platz, we have to now face prices that have been artificially inflated to meet the greed of those who were turning plat into real money. That means more time slaving away at the plat farm to afford things like items needed for epics that are camped 24/7. I'm sorry you can't see the bigger picture.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daysprung [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How do you figure? The server was doing just fine back when it was allowed.
Really? People and guilds who want access to content are being blocked by people who are going in for MQing the same stuff 5x, 10x more. How is that 'just fine'? What you all are charging for that stuff is direct result of people who RMT and PAY for that stuff in such a fashion. There are some people with the plat to buy but not the average person. Without a market, people will move on, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezilla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Removing the sellers more quickly probably would help keep relatively innocent people out of this stuff. As everyone keeps saying, a lot of people from classic have jobs and families now and it's quite tempting to buy at least a little plat. If sellers know bans are happening routinely, they may be less likely to attempt to enter the p1999 market.

It is not crappy. It is in the EULA and has been in the rules as long as the server has been going. The time and energy it would take to accomplish what you propose is absurdly large. In fact I find your entire post here absurd. Alot of items and Plat are now gone forever and the server is better for it.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappytwotoes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So much morality BS here.

RMT doesn't make you a bad person any more than speeding on the freeway. Someone breaking the rules doesn't give ANYONE reason to get up on their high horse and condemn.

Everyone has broken rules for their own convenience, we're all human. The real crime is acting like a righteous person when someone else did something wrong.
RMT'ng on P99 does makes you a shitty person. You have no right to charge money for pixels provided by Rogean and co's hard work and charity getting p99 up and keeping it running. It's like taking from a food pantry for the poor and then trying to sell the stuff out of your food truck for profit, shitting all over everyone's generosity in the process to satisfy the greed in your rotten soul.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
RMT'ng on P99 does makes you a shitty person. You have no right to charge money for pixels provided by Rogean and co's hard work and charity getting p99 up and keeping it running. It's like taking from a food pantry for the poor and then trying to sell the stuff out of your food truck for profit, shitting all over everyone's generosity in the process to satisfy the greed in your rotten soul.
good analogy