Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
See the note in my prior post that the Velious UI was an outgrowth of the F10 mode that was in the game from day 1. It's not so unclassic as you make it sound. The unclassic part is the lack of the fullscreen "stone" UI to revert to, and that can't be done within present client, technological, and manpower limitations.

Danth
but you know what's not beyond manpower/technical limitations? allowing the pre-installed "classic" ui option that odds the blue-grey stone texturing to the currently implemented UI elements.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

you sound like a whiny dick tbh man, maybe go start your own project
Old 10-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this is the ui we are replicating.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this is the ui we are replicating.
I would encourage everyone to save themselves time and just refer people here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Green_UI

(Or if that page doesn't tell people what you want, make it! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])

Meanwhile, I figured the best way to help would just be to find EVERY <TextColor> element in the entire XML (modulo the stupid windows like the music one). Also I accidentally found one <TabTextActiveColor>. I threw out all the white/black ones (ie. most of them), and then used the rest to create this wiki page:

http://wiki.project1999.com/UI_Color...rackingWnd.xml

If you scroll down to the bottom you'll see what I want to do next, which is convert all those colors to hex, and then check their contrast against black/white in that tool I mentioned. By the end we'll then be able to say "ignoring the translucence, all our colors are WCAG-friendly" ... and if any aren't I'll try to suggest better ones.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:50 PM
Fire Giant

If you are actively replicating that then why is the granite background present on multiple elements including the bank, trade ui, spellbook and character creation?
Old 10-16-2019, 09:53 PM
Planar Protector

On a different note, I can't help but see code like:

Code:
<TextColor>
<R>255</R>
<G>255</G>
<B>255</B>
</TextColor>
... and just cringe. Not only because Verant makes you write three separate RGB values, when one hex value would have sufficed, but also because ... who wants to remember hex or RGB values? What I'd imagine you'd really want is to be able to write something like:

Code:
<TextColor><White/></TextColor>
and then have that convert into the above code.

XML has a whole related technology called XSLT, which is designed to let you do exactly that. The downside of using it is that you'd have an extra step: every time you change a file, you'd have to run a command line command before EQ could use it.

But the up side is that you could make as many <White/>, and other color (or any other value) tags that you want, and you could use them throughout the code. You'd only have to specify that white = 255, 255, 255 in one place, and everywhere else you could just say <White/>

Adding such a stylesheet would have a real cost, so I don't want to oversell it, but IF being able to make your own tags would make things easier enough to be worth it, let me know. It's been years now, but once upon a time XSLT was my jam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are actively replicating that then why is the granite background present on multiple elements including the bank, trade ui, spellbook and character creation?
because when you opened up the bank, merchant, trade, etc, it would open it as the marble ui.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
because when you opened up the bank, merchant, trade, etc, it would open it as the marble ui.
Right- So my question is rather than replicate full transparency, why not implement the granite background to the remainder of the UI elements?
Old 10-16-2019, 09:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stupid question: do you see the bank in that screenshot?

Follow up stupid question: if not, what makes you think it didn't have marble elements?

Quote:
Right- So my question is rather than replicate full transparency, why not implement the granite background to the remainder of the UI elements?
One more stupid question: do you see the granite background (except for the buttons) in the above screenshot?

There is a very simple answer to all of your questions, which is that everyone involved is trying to make things as classic as possible.

Unfortunately that does not mean the full-screen UI (it's not possible), or even a perfect recreation of the transparent one (we can only get close). But people are making the closest thing they can, and being "as close to classic as possible" is the entire point of green!

Last edited by loramin; 10-16-2019 at 10:01 PM..
Old 10-16-2019, 09:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
we have where it's appropriate. some windows it is not a trivial amount of effort to change it.
Closed Thread