Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarlmarxbros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People who are claiming 60 hours awake and paying attention are probably not being completely honest.
Lol.

Of fucking course they're not.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasteroven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which is worse?

A. Players who take turns on one account

B. People who RDP and control multiple characters at once

C. One person staying awake for 100+ hours

You can't bash the players for responding to the system. You have to redesign it. If this was a real camp you would pass it on to someone else who may not even be logged in, out of the zone, or AFK up until that point. When it's their turn they would be called to the camp. That person would then start their grind for the next 5 - 30 hours. This sounds more reasonable than one person spending an entire week here, which is the projected time as of now.

There's no reason for the next person on the list to be here until it's their turn
#1 and #2 because they're gaming the system.

Nobody is going to stay awake for 100 hours. Maybe some people will manage 48. Few will last even 24. This would thin the camp out, which is fine, if we didn't have people gaming the system.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just get rid of these stupid items, they aren't necessary to enjoy classic everquest, in fact they make the entire community feel less classic. Get rid of all this legacy obsession and the people who just want to okay the damn game regardless will still log in.
You made an argument for keeping them IN, not removing them. If everyone who wants to play the game regardless will do so, then removing them is pointless because all those people are having fun one way OR the other. All removing them would do is upset the people who, despite having different priorities than most of us or engaging in some "technically this is permitted" "gameplay" to "succeed" over the more common folk, don't deserve to have their fun ruined just because you don't like their idea of fun.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarlmarxbros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This has already been solved. People are using Teamviewer/RDP/etc to access the char on the list and go through the afk checks. Checking IP, or even machine ID etc will do nothing. It has no reason to change under these circumstances, and people can spin up as many VMs and bring as many characters over that they want. This makes this an enterprise to share between 2-3 friends working in shifts to grind that one character to the top position and get their manastone. People who are claiming 60 hours awake and paying attention are probably not being completely honest. I'm sure they had someone pick up 5 hours here or there so they could get a nap in, likely through the more conventional method of just ld and have them log in from another computer altogether. When the reality of this settles in, it will be understood that sleep coverage will just be a necessity and that is how the camp will proceed.

My biggest concern, though, is when you have 2-3 people working shifts on a host machine via teamviewer, it starts to get awfully tempting to, instead of clicking one characters afk box, to start clicking several characters at once. Completely untraceable. IP address and machine/game ID, whatever other external methods of tracking, are never changed.

Something should be done about this sooner than later. Otherwise this "pure" green server is going to be just as tainted as the bug-riddled blue "beta" server that everyone looks down their noses at, with the majority of rare drops being held by an unscrupulous minority while everyone legitimate looks on gobsmacked.
Can someone translate this from Neckbeard into English for me?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No offense, but I don't like any of your ideas.

4. Not really sure how this solves any of the current MS list situations.
No offense taken. I'm just tossing out ideas/regurgitating ones already proposed. I understand your points and concerns, but I still disagree.

Number 4 is mostly to combat problems a new system would create. Like moving mobs out of camp to try and get a FFA corpse.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Sarnak

Leave them in. Ruin their money hording schemes. Make lists on all highly contested items. Let's go full in!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay how many people are doing this versus not, let alone know what the hell any of this is your talking about.

I dont think 99% of the playerbase is elite hax0r
Agreed! I am not one of these. I have been 35, and I am dreading that list, I keep waiting for a day where I have had a solid good sleep and feel like it would be a day I could stay awake for a long period. I want a manastone, and I can push 24 hours awake, maybe 30, sadly I do not think I could do more than this. Not sure what the solution would be, given that it all "needs" to be classic.

I wish it could just be taken out or a higher drop rate until it is taken out, or I dunno.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppkins_Wytchfinder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If people want to become Mr Robot and destroy their bodies with lack of sleep or become human MMPORG relay teams to get a classic item it seems more trouble than its worth trying to stop them.
I think maybe I didn't make my point as clearly as I meant to. The rules as intended will require this relay race. I don't really care about that, the rules are outlined clearly, everyone has to adhere to that, do what you can to get your piece within that ruleset. Whatever.

The problem, though, is that these rules that were laid out do not account for how people would go about doing this. And when you start sharing one account via Teamviewer across a few people to grind to their manastone, you start realizing how viable it is to do this same mundane task across several accounts, untraceable without direct human intervention. This implementation actively encourages boxing, something the admins have repeatedly stated they are vehemently against.

The original idea of rarity being enforced via having only a tiny spigot trickling out content that people will promptly sit on top of and stopper up is dated and terrible. You want to gate content? Make it harder. You want to make something exclusive? Make it competitive. This list system is an extension of a nascent idea to make something exclusive or rare, and it's shit. Zero improvement. Classic for the sake of being classic. You think the classic devs would've had half of these mechanics in the game if they knew a better way? They were pioneers. I respect the hell out of all these ideas, but to say that's the best way to maximize the fun/engagement/competitiveness/whatever is just wrong.

We saw this from the initial blowback p99 admins got from the removal of the pet window. People don't want to play a game because it's classic, they want to play it because it's good. P99 team, in all their hubris, mistook their inheritance of a AAA designed game from an era before DLC, RMT, loot boxes, etc for the idea that "just keeping it classic" was what was making p99 good. The game isn't good because it's classic, the game is good because of all the time and effort that went into it to make it good.

I'm straying a bit from my point, which is this: the list system is shit. And, to make matters worse, this shit list system is actively encouraging boxing that is currently untrackable from any of their automated methods. Which means an increase in the amount of boxing. Which means that some limited items are going to be obtained by these boxers, therefore some legitimate players are going to miss out on them. Not addressing this quickly and effectively runs the risk of turning the server into a circus that the exploiters don't take seriously and the legit players don't want to play on.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Sarnak

Guise of the Deceiver - Never adjust to Mask of Deception. Never becomes legacy. Does this hurt ANYTHING other than it's rarity post removal? And some people's e-peen?

Manastone - Never removed from loot table. Never legacy. Value plummets. We all get a shot at this mostly worthless toy. A few classes get a small advantage.

Jboots - No list, no need for changes to the original timeline. It's value is moot compared to the other items on /list.

Rubicite - Never removed. No longer becomes legacy. It isn't a complete game changer. We will be swimming in Fungi Tunics in a couple of years anyhow. It's primarily fashion quest?

These suggestions most I've seen before. This is an example of alternate timeline classic. It still feels classic. We are already playing in an alternate timeline "classic." We should stop trying to preserve these unhealthy classic play styles. A lot has changed IRL in 20 years.
Last edited by Meiva; 11-12-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Old 11-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiva [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guise of the DeceiverWe should stop trying to preserve these unhealthy classic play styles. A lot has changed IRL in 20 years.
Some of us got laid!
Closed Thread