Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL that is some good hyperbole! Even if you are doing a fresh start no ECmart you are NOT going to be stuck with a rusty scythe by the time you can fear kite.

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/Submit
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric; More
Old 05-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I'm doing the same with a bard right now - but it's my only character, so I have to do this. What low level quests you do really depends on where you start - Highpass Hold does present a bit of a barrier for low-level folks wanting to move around, as it's often just not cleared.

In Qeynos, bandit sashes are decent plat...but even better are the rabid wolf pelts. The rabid wolves in the Qeynos Hills are pretty camped, but there are loads of them in the Karanas. Gnoll fangs from Blackburrow (take it to Halas to hand in) are also great ways to get experience. I took my Wood Elf bard over to this half of the continent (it was risky!) just to nab that phat loot.

In Faydark, the Crushbone Belts are pretty good. There are also some sisters in Lesser Faydark but I haven't checked out how camped they are.

But having plat isn't actually tremendously worthwhile without having a place to spend it. Banded armor is OK but there are equally great options that just aren't available. Some lower-level magic weapons (e.g., Gnoll Hide Lariat) and armor can be tough to find. I lucked out and bought some Vale Reinforced Leather stuff in hobbittown and have made a few pieces of banded, but there were a bunch of items I saw on the wiki that I thought would be nice and reasonably priced - but will never find (e.g., those drops from named mobs in the North Karanas). It's tough to find appropriately leveled loot for the 15-30 lvl range - everything for sale is in the hundreds or thousands of plat. Things in the 5-25 plat range are hard to come by.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@above poster "fine plate is really all you need until later levels", that stuff has a trivial of 228..
Banded coat is triv at 175, I made the above green dye set at ~195 after cycling some plate collars back to the vendor. Below triv doesn't mean you can't make it, just that there is a chance to fail. If you want to make plats selling sets (not my goal), don't start selling until you reach triv. Want to save plats on starting-armor account wide? Smithing is easy compared to most other trades to 200, and not much more expensive than buying a set of armor. To get to banded armor, I spent 150pp, which a set costs about 100pp. The above dyed fine plate set is worth more than I put into smithing all together to that point... less the actual material cost of that armor set. My current black fine plate armor set a little more (black harder to farm).

The reason newbies don't run around in fine plate at lvl20 (meh bronze bleh) is they are too concerned about leveling as fast as they can to bother with crafting, which can be time consuming. That and they see crafting as too expensive and time consuming, and not sure how to make plats to fund crafting as well. Though my fist post gives a general mention how to get the plats to do it (and while leveling mind you), it's still a bit of farming work (not too bad), though a vet is accustomed to.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Fire Giant

I have a 26 ranger that I'm playing like this and it's a lot of fun - I never really understood twinking, I mean, isn't it fun to explore the game and search for items/rare mobs/quests to get better stuff? Whats the point if you already have everything right off the bat? i dunno...that has never felt very rewarding to me.

Right now I have a minotaur's ribcage and a labrynth talisman from the gorge of king xorbb, a forest giant hammer and a forest loop from warsliks woods, a short sword of morin that I quested, a decent bow and arrows that I've made, derv rings, and basically everything else is raw hide : ) Ideally at some point every piece of gear on my character will have a story, or a memory behind it ( along with a screenshot! ) which is fun for me I guess. I'm actually learning a lot about the game by hunting down rare mobs and going to rarely visited zones and looking through quests.

hopefully i can get my hands on a straw spun belt and a lumberjacks cap before I leave the giant fort in ww - looking forward to trying to get some groups going for the new and improved runnyeye - blackened iron longsword, grotesque alloy mask, black iron girdle, sporali gloves - there's a lot of treasure down there!

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Old 05-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Kobold

I am glad to hear all these suggestions here. I am going through the equipment I didn't know about, looking it up on the wiki, and making plans! Thanks for starting this thread!

Also, I know that this server is lousy with bards, especially for their kiting ability. So you know, I dislike AoE kiting, and am more into fear kiting and chant kiting, and eventually grouping. I figure that once I get high enough, groups won't mind that I am undergeared compared to those who shop the bazaar, as long as I can sing and reliably pull.
Closed Thread