Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Aviak

So it will be slower for him to solo the shaman 45+. On the bright side, he can use the ~20k he would have spent on a JBB for other stuff.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Fire Giant

Also keep in mind that IKS SK requires more....eh, creativity.... gearing up. You'll get the last laugh in Velious, but it's gonna be frustrating until then passing the roll on all that Planar and Incarnadine gear because you can't wear it.

I'm not saying IKS SK isn't a viable tank, you just have to be focused on the long haul and realize the uphill battle you're in for.

My advice: a pair of ogres.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

In my mind there is no question:

Ogre Shadowknight
Troll Shaman

This is a monstrous combination. Between you, you are missing only one thing: teleports. Who cares? You will tear it UP. That is nearly my dream combination. Trust me, do it.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Aviak

If you make anything but an ogre shaman you're making a mistake. Stun immunity is so vital, especially if you plan on soloing juggs / named mobs in Velious, etc. with your shaman. P99 isn't like live mobs stun constantly. The regen is trivial, especially after torpor.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you make anything but an ogre shaman you're making a mistake.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Aviak

Well my buddy bailed on me so my dream of an awesome duo is gone for now. Thanks for all the advice everyone I'll remember it if I get another chance. Until then I'll be on my half elf pally looking for groups [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a friend thats never played EQ before but he has always wanted to. We've been talking about all of the classes and he seems most interested in a shadowknight. I am going to play a shaman with him, it seems like a very good combo from what i've read and it will allow us to start as the same race which will help since he will need some instructions to start playing and I can help.

The only question then becomes what race would be good. I know regen is helpful for the shaman but Ogre just seems better for the shadowknight. I guess my biggest question would be is the regen from troll/iksar worth more then frontal stun immunity and better starting stats?

I'm just going to get him a full set of banded and a cheap 2 hander, and banded for my shaman with an inexpensive weapon. Want to make sure he sticks with it.
I think probably the xp penalty would be the least noticeable on your first play through. You don't have to worry about it if your always grouping though you will stay close enough in levels that it will never be a problem. I think you might be 50 and him 46 by the end... But I would say ogre for stats and 2h bash. Although a dark elf with the right hot keys can bash almost as effectively if their comfortable with the interface. In kunark there's a shield and mace that I think even the big races use all the time anyway so by then it surely doesn't matter.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

Troll shamans of Innoruuk get Disciple Symbol with Darkness.

Shaman with Snare > frontal melee stun immunity.

even Shaman with Undead and Animal Fear (CT troll shaman) > frontal melee stun immunity.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlvlzero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think probably the xp penalty would be the least noticeable on your first play through. You don't have to worry about it if your always grouping though you will stay close enough in levels that it will never be a problem. I think you might be 50 and him 46 by the end... But I would say ogre for stats and 2h bash. Although a dark elf with the right hot keys can bash almost as effectively if their comfortable with the interface. In kunark there's a shield and mace that I think even the big races use all the time anyway so by then it surely doesn't matter.
If two people are always grouped together from level 2 onwards, they will reach 50 (or 60) at the same time since the EXP penalties are shared (in fact, this is probably the reason they're shared).
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my mind there is no question:

Ogre Shadowknight
Troll Shaman

This is a monstrous combination. Between you, you are missing only one thing: teleports. Who cares? You will tear it UP. That is nearly my dream combination. Trust me, do it.
quoting this for the luls