Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Kobold

Shit, you should be happy that rogues in your group. Fast kills.

Twinks are always going to be around, they were massive in live as well. Everyone starts out at the bottom, just don't let it get to you. You'll end up being that same person you despised in the long run.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Aviak

Bear in mind that everyone who plays on this server was in pretty much the same boat as you are now with their first char. I still had many pieces of Raw Silk on my Wizard when he hit 50. I remember replacing one of his raw silk wrist bands with a Carmine Trinket from PoF. I started fairly early on live and it was the same way there. Everyone got to high 30s to low 40s in Silk, Leather, Ringmail, or Bronze for the most part. Then you started questing your own Sol Ro armor (and some people were 50 before the Sol Ro armor quests were even implemented in the game). I remember very well when FBRs were going for 500pp and hardly anyone had that kind of money. When I was leveling I don't remember there being an abundance of good cheap gear. You either had to camp the stuff you wanted or you had to know how to farm plat. Unfortunately this is really tough for Monks.

So you might not get a whole lot of sympathy about your plight since everyone was untwinked at some point. The only difference is that now there are a lot of twinks running around to make all the new players feel inferior. But as long as they are willing to group with you, you're benefiting from their twinking too. In EQ levels are more important than gear for the most part. As long as you are able to get XP, the gear will eventually come.

Starting a Necro/Enchanter pair is a great idea if you're frustrated by being untwinked. You'll be able to level really well with very minimal gear. You'll also be able to farm platinum fairly well if you choose to.
Allabahallaban - Iksar Monk
<Azure Guard>
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

Kieu and Reubin have it right.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Aviak

I just came back to the server about a month ago. I'd played previously three years ago but got to 24 on a rogue and was in full banded and junk weapons with no plat so I rolled to a chanter. I've made a few thousand plat from playing the EC game, farming HQ Bear pelts, spiderling silks and bone chips and by killing Wisps in WC(damn good plat here for a lowbie and good xp). There are decent weapons to be found for a few hundred plat for a monk, example you can get two trance sticks for under 500pp.

It just takes time and work. A lot of people sell the lower end items for cheap and then someone looking to twink their toon quickly will pay 200-300 more than value just so they don't have to spam in EC for hours.

I've also been lucky (and extremely grateful) with donations from random passersby and guildies. Don't give up, you'll overcome the barrier with time, it's not as bad as it seems with work.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Fire Giant

Quote something from Alpha Centauri in my jboots thread and you may win a runner up prize of a few thousand plat, ending that thread tonight so get in on it if you're going to.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1) Play whatever class you want.
2) Don't freak out about gear.
3) Group with twinks if they'll have you in their groups, and enjoy the ride.
Severely under-geared new player here. I started a non-geardependant class and am just riding the twink train to level 50+...

Im predicting to have full bronze on my cleric until late 40's... Any hope of buying anything in EC died when I walked through and saw the prices. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

In classic I remember camping the stuff I needed for my character. Screw EC.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

I don't understand why you think you need BIS gear in this game to play and have fun. I leveled a bard to planar level and was literally replacing banded/bronze/cloth armor with Imbrued Platemail (planar).

This economy is so top heavy that BIS costs a TON, but mid-tier is SO MUCH MORE AFFORDABLE than it was on Live that its stupid. For your monk: Baton of Faith is 100p, Canes of Harmony are 100p. On Live, these weapons were fine in the 40s and replaced in the 50s, here you can make that kind of plat by L20 as a non-twink. Don't worry about best-in-slot, worry about being better than you were on Live.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Fire Giant

Greycee was created on January 23, 2013t.

I actually started the server on January 7, 2013 but had a bugged account so had to create a new one on January 23rd.

It's important to think of this as a "game". There are different ways to play the game, and different strategies to get there.

Greycee is a druid, level 45. My "main" will be a cleric. Kupcake is level 20 and very well geared.

This was a post by me on January 17th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
haha evil intentions after all!

BTW - the ooc offering 50 plat for a port? I saw a druid in BB ooc'ing asking 100 plat to port.

Serious? Maybe I should level a druid first.
Within 10 days of starting on the server, I knew I needed a different strategy.

I knew I needed to level a druid first.

Druids don't need gear to charm. The only gear I purchased for my druid is a foreman's tunic for 200 plat, and a springwood club for 250 plat.

While monk is not as gear dependent as a warrior, your character is more gear dependent than others classes to generate dps.

Porting tippers are generous and people like to move around.

I can't say my cleric's gear is a result of the tipping though. I was saving for a pair of GEBS with my porting plat when I befriended a player that stripped his cleric and gave me the gear. There IS a lot of wealth on the server and mixed with nice people that share.

You didn't mention if you were in a guild? Even in my noobie guild, the higher levels pass down to the lower. We have a guild bank account full of low to mid level gear. (This is not intended to be a recruitment post).

As in most leveling games, level > all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have made several chars just messing around over the past couple months
This is absolutely fine, but that time has a value in the game. We've all heard it said the game is a time sink, so time does determine success to a great extent.

I talked to a guy the other day, who played the EC tunnel for 6 weeks before rolling so he would have the plat to gear. This is not my idea of fun, but I've met a lot of people that really enjoy EC. You can start with pelts, bone chips, spider silk and trade up. Ever see the shows "Barter Kings" or "Trading Up"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
theres many ways to skin a cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
theres more than one way to skin a cat, just like there's more than one way to play EQ.
Keep at it. Most importantly enjoy yourself each time you log on.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
here you can make that kind of plat by L20 as a non-twink.
EASILY by level 20. Pet classes can solo wisps from 8-14 and make 200pp+ in that time. Even melee can duo them with any magic weapon (ec handout, summoned hammer, whatever) and do the same thing.

Play smarter, not har... I mean play smarter, don't whine.
Closed Thread