Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

They work okay as tanks in most exp group settings.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I remember cultural armor actually..hmm...I was Rodcet Nife I think...the Paladin deity that started you in Qeynos, at the time I just wanted to start out at a green plains area, was a total mmo noob basically, unlike now where id probably have a pref for Mithaniel Marr. I cant seem to find the cultural armor on the 1999 wiki though.

The human rodcet nife armor was....I think it was Hot Pink in color [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I remember being mistaken for a Cleric often cuz I had some sorta very fast and hard hitting one handed hammer and shield, but mostly because of that Hot Pink plate cultural armor. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I remember being easily seen in a giant raid crowd cuz of that armor ._.

Edit: How much does it cost to get a full set of Human Cultural? Mithaniel Marr seems more DPS based while Rodcet Nife is more Tank based. Karana has dex good for procs I suppose.
Last edited by Alexandrious; 04-15-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

Human Cultural Smithing

It looks like your hot pink was for Erollisi Marr: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2651

Honestly, if you aren't Tunare (ND), then religion doesn't matter for paladin except to make certain parts of the epic quest easier.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for that! I wonder how hard it would be for a Paladin in this era to get into a serious raiding guild.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

Raiding guilds always need warm bodies. And paladin gear rots pretty constantly. Not that paladins really offer a whole lot to the raid scene. Corova would be a good person to ask about "WTF does a paladin do in a raid guild?"

But if you have the hours to dedicate to tracking, any raid guild will take you and set you up with tracker accounts.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Corova would be a good person to ask about "WTF does a paladin do in a raid guild?"
Corova #1 DT taker and Jugg trainer in FE. His tireless dedication to aggroing mobs and then dying shortly after should serve as an inspiration to all paladins with raiding ambitions across the server.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs616 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Corova #1 DT taker and Jugg trainer in FE. His tireless dedication to aggroing mobs and then dying shortly after should serve as an inspiration to all paladins with raiding ambitions across the server.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Sarnak

Sigh. Basically on a lot of raids you end up dying a lot. If a mob DTs it'll be you or a ranger that is tasked with making the pull/ taking the DT. Or, in Seb, you end up training Juggs away from Trak to get the guild a clean engage.

Basically, you die so the guild can succeed. If I was into rping it'd be all about the noble sacrifice that I was making. Instead it's just a backwards notch on the xp bar.

If someone else ends up doing that, though, you basically join the DPS train against the mob or do important work like dispelling slows on DPS melee classes during a fight like Gore.

I have had the joy of tanking some of the outdoor dragons/ planar minibosses, though. Sev and Maestro were both pretty easily handled by me on the tanking front and I know Fay is also very tankable by a paly.

Basically, be willing to die and take it in stride or you'll throw your computer across the room.

It should also be noted that come Velious you will get a buff or two that people will actually want so you'll be part of the buffing crew for raids. Also with the armor quality increases you'll be a pretty useful offtank for adds.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkutron5000 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sigh. Basically on a lot of raids you end up dying a lot. If a mob DTs it'll be you or a ranger that is tasked with making the pull/ taking the DT. Or, in Seb, you end up training Juggs away from Trak to get the guild a clean engage.

Basically, you die so the guild can succeed. If I was into rping it'd be all about the noble sacrifice that I was making. Instead it's just a backwards notch on the xp bar.

If someone else ends up doing that, though, you basically join the DPS train against the mob or do important work like dispelling slows on DPS melee classes during a fight like Gore.

I have had the joy of tanking some of the outdoor dragons/ planar minibosses, though. Sev and Maestro were both pretty easily handled by me on the tanking front and I know Fay is also very tankable by a paly.

Basically, be willing to die and take it in stride or you'll throw your computer across the room.

It should also be noted that come Velious you will get a buff or two that people will actually want so you'll be part of the buffing crew for raids. Also with the armor quality increases you'll be a pretty useful offtank for adds.
I forget, didnt Clerics get a 95% Rez at some point?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Sarnak

Clerics get a 96% rez. Palys get a 0 and a 90% rez, the 90 coming at level 58.