Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Aviak

The biggest thing I remember is that it didn't exist! Not like it has in future games. I'd love to see the statistics on forum posts for EQ in 99 to today with other games. My guess is something crazy like 100,000 posts for every 1 post then.

All I really remember though is the downtime posts... People just wanted to play, they didn't care about complaining like they do now.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Kobold

If you weren't a warrior, cleric, or pure dps during GoD you complained about being worthless in that expansion.

Shaman complained about their vastly inferior heals and bad dps post velious prior to the magic dot line being added.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Sarnak

Tell me moar about the sit ins!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Kobold

I never paid much attention to the forums back when EQ was at it's peak. I know a ton of people quit the game around the PoP expansion. Many people around that time were griping about AA's. And some of the encounters.

I don't think there was as much complaining because this was the first of it's kind. People kind of took it as this is the way it is. I remember spending 6 hours LFG in LGuk to get in a group and I thought that was standard procedure.

I'm sure there were some out there really upset about stuff. But I wasn't aware of them because I never frequented the forums.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Class Balance was the big thing people bitched about. Itemization, broken quests, and broken zones/encounters were up there too.

Pretty much if you weren't playing a warrior or cleric, you were relatively worthless outside of functions a single player or two of that class could cover.

The idea of a less-pure tank or healer with more utility was pushed, but people realized it was bullshit because what utility doesn't matter if you suck at your primary role.

Shaman were the exception to this for obvious reasons.

For DPS, balance didn't matter as much since DPS-stressful encounters basically didn't exist in EQ. Not saying DPS never mattered, but there was basically no such thing as enrage timers. You had mana stresses after the modrod nerf, but yeah - never anything big.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tell me moar about the sit ins!
Warriors had a sit in because knights were preferable tanks for 60-65 exp groups. Basically, they received short timer abilities that gave them instant hate. Although I think that the EQ warrior community is the bitchiest and most paranoid MMO community that I've ever encountered, this was definitely needed for Boxcarjerry who was tanking PoValor with a Frostbringer and Centi Longsword.

Clerics - I'm not too sure of - I remember them bitching up a storm when druids and shamans got mini-cheals in Luclin, but I don't remember a sit in. The clerics successfully shit on druids expansion in and out, but not nearly to the degree of warriors shitting on knights.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Class Balance was the big thing people bitched about.
I recall once upon a time clerics started to out dps paladins with weapons. The paladins of norrath forums exploded in fury.

But this general theme was constant for the entirety of my live career.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Sarnak

Yep, class balance. It's kind of nice that there's not debates about it here because nothing will be changed... but then again, I wouldn't mind my DPS or AC returns being boosted.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Banned

All off Eq's existence up until this point is exactly why a project like this could have been amazing. If they had just fixed everything Sony kept fucking up, from the start, this project could have been EQ how it was always meant to be, not a bunch of back and forth fuck ups.

Instead they elected to glorify said fuck ups and do the same thing here, only on a much longer timeline. Hooray!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCranston [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All off Eq's existence up until this point is exactly why a project like this could have been amazing. If they had just fixed everything Sony kept fucking up, from the start, this project could have been EQ how it was always meant to be, not a bunch of back and forth fuck ups.

Instead they elected to glorify said fuck ups and do the same thing here, only on a much longer timeline. Hooray!
Unplayable or game-breaking bugs aside, most of the patches designed to "fix" the game in fact made the game easier and less enjoyable for the vast majority of the players.

You have to ask yourself this question: what recent game has inspired anyone to have a digital sit-in?
Closed Thread