Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 08:02 AM
Fire Giant

I think a bard or ranger would fit what you are looking for.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Aviak

When I think of the classes that land squarely in the middle as far as actions in a group fight I land on Necromancer and Ranger.

Necromancer - Obviously keeping your pet in the fight, but also patch heals, keeping your lich going with lifetaps, sending mana to healers. Lots of utility to make a weird group work too.

Ranger - Sustained dps role of a rogue with spells and a lot more utility. Extremely weak patch heals, some minor buffs to keep going. Sometimes you'll be asked to pull but not everytime.

There's a few other options but they only make sense to me if you don't want to play the class to its maximum. Bard for instance can be extremely busy if you keep 3+ songs going at all times. Or you can be lazy and just run a single song. Actually now that I think about it Bard might be a good choice for that reason because you can choose how busy you want to be at any given time.
Last edited by port9001; 07-15-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Old 07-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like OP wants less button frequency or maybe a bit of quiet time? I say go wizard. Blow stuff up and then do nothing while your mama comes back. Can throttle your deeps to tailor button frequency to your lacking^^
Old 07-15-2016, 12:22 PM
Aviak

Wizard would be more of a 'do nothing' class, at least in groups. I mean not literally do nothing but it's about as close as you can get to a minimally active class in a group setting.
Last edited by port9001; 07-15-2016 at 12:32 PM..
Old 07-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by port9001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necromancer - Obviously keeping your pet in the fight, but also patch heals, keeping your lich going with lifetaps, sending mana to healers. Lots of utility to make a weird group work too.
Assuming he's referring to amount of up and down time, this would be the best answer. Similar to a mage in that you'll have a pet one way or another (summoned or charmed) and there's plenty of things you can do during the fights or inbetween fights to keep yourself busy, which for a magician is more put DS on tank and throw a nuke in from time to time.

Rangers would be a good option, but unless there's a monk, you'll most likely be the puller and depending on your gear and your tank, you may also be tanking.

The other plus side to necros is that as a caster, gear doesn't influence your play as much as melee and they're incredibly easy to solo on if you can't find a group or only have a short amount of time to play.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Orc

Great responses, I guess I could elaborate a bit more.

Paladin was fun, I liked tanking and taking control of aggro, rooting mobs and stunning casters. It was actually a very fun class, but I disliked being so dependent on a group and moving so slowly. The activity was great, unless I was pulling and tanking, then it was just 100% GO, which was OK, but I would notice how often the clerics and wizards were afk. Or I get to the camp with 3 mobs, and I am rooting and running them around for 5-10 seconds before anyone seems to notice I am back yet. VERY annoying.

I went about three days without being able to get a group, which was really strange, and just figured I should go for a solo/group class. I know you can get jboots, but they are out of my pricerange.

The paladin was my first class to 34, so I parked it and sold off most of the gear, but it only amounted to a few thousand plat.

I started the mage with no investment aside from 50p or so, I did like having a strong pet, being able to solo, and groups were pretty fun, helping with items, bandages, ect.

My big problem with the mage I guess is that you dont do any damage compared to a melee class. I just felt like a burden half the time. My pet hits for 28 if I go for a max level pet (lvl 30 mage) but it just doesnt feel like I am contributing anything. Then you get resisted three times and did absolutely nothing but a few hundred damage with your pet.

Utility, I didnt like either, being able to gate and invis is great, but slow movement speed, no root, and if I get caught without my pet, I am done for. It only happened once but it really bothered me.

So I decided to try what all the melee guys were doing damage with, and went monk. I really enjoyed playing monk, I sunk in my savings of 5k into the char and got pretty decked out, and even got a haste item through saving carefully and a few investments. I do great damage, I havent died once with feign death, splitting pulls is awesome, but after 30 levels, I am getting tunnel vision from constantly running corridors and opening doors, spinning around, running back, and find myself envious of resting people again.

So fired up the mage, was /afk lfg coming back every 5 min to broadcast, and about 45 min later I got a group, and i was as pathetic as ever.

The enchanter was dancing around, charming, stunning, seemed pretty neat. but I just dont know what to do anymore.

I'd like to be active and useful, but I don't want to be running constantly and depending on people's reaction time to stop be from dying.

I forgot to mention I also got a necro to 34. I solo'd most of it, just because whenever I tried to group, watching the bar move so slowly was driving me crazy compared to just fear kiting or even root rotting. but its a social game I love actually chatting and doing stuff. Just not running a corridor over and over again.

So I guess my top issues would be

1. Movement speed/mobility -> I know I can get jboots later in life, but thats a lot of money
2. Pulling -> Get tunnel vision and just sick of it after an hour or so
3. Damage/Utility -> I hate feeling like a group leech, I want to be considered a great player
4. Group requirement -> I really find playing solo boring, but I would like the option of being able to, I mostly want a class groups are begging to get, I hate having a few hours to play, then just LFG and browsing the forum
Old 07-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Aviak

Since you list issue #1 as movement speed then that narrows things down quite a bit: Shaman, Druid, Ranger, Bard are the only ones with a movement speed buff.

Don't want to pull, remove Ranger.

Any of the remaining 3 are good at what they do (Druid gets a little weak 40+ but still serviceable). All 3 are good in groups. In terms of staying busy I'd rate it: Bard (assuming not a lazy one song Bard), Shaman, then Druid.

Since you say you want to be appreciated as a good player I would recommend playing a grouping Bard. People love grouping Bards who are on their game with twisting the right songs.

However, if you never ever want to pull again I'd go with Shaman or Druid since you'll be expected to stay in camp and keep medding. Bards are occasionally called on to pull, although much less so than Monks, Rangers, and main tanks.
Last edited by port9001; 07-15-2016 at 05:24 PM..
Old 07-16-2016, 01:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by manard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My big problem with the mage I guess is that you dont do any damage compared to a melee class.
You do plenty of damage as a mage. Especially when factoring in damage shield. Were you giving your pet weapons so that it dual-wields? Should be doing a lot.

I'd say Mage is a quite ideal "middle ground" class. You won't often have to be 100% active but at the same time your gameplay isn't just about sitting around medding all the time, since you can order your pet around while you med.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Orc

Resurrection!

I got a druid to 16, bored out of my mind waiting for mana.

Got a ranger to lvl 9, was very fast with silver swiftblade, but I am scared of just saving for/using woodsman staff until I get epic, seems really boring compared to dual wield.

Bard lvl 9, cant kite for beans, was very fun in a group to remove downtime.

I've done all these untwinked 100% so have an extra 500p towards whatever I stick with.

I am sort of stuck between bard or ranger. I like going fast, but I also like to melee. So probably ranger?

My only problem is woo delves are so small. Would it be stupid to reroll a human ranger? I've never done qeynos before
Old 07-28-2016, 10:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by manard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...I would notice how often the clerics and wizards were afk. Or I get to the camp with 3 mobs, and I am rooting and running them around for 5-10 seconds before anyone seems to notice I am back yet. VERY annoying.
This sort of thing seems commonplace on P1999, and from what I read elsewhere it's common nowadays in most any online game. For some reason a culture of laziness has taken root in online gaming; a fair potion of the population simply wants to be carried rather than contribute in a useful fashion. Odds are some of 'em spend half their time tabbed out reading Facebook or watching Netflix. I dislike it, but that mindset seems here to stay, so the rest of us simply have to adapt. Years ago I did full groups almost all the time, but I increasingly duo or trio so as to avoid having to put up with the dead weight.

----------------------------------------

This is EQ, and in this game no class gets everything. Some of the most popular group classes, like Rogues and Clerics, are mediocre to bad solo'ers. The strongest solo classes that also have good group desirability, Enchanter and Shaman, are busy to play (and extremely expensive, in the case of the Shaman). Classes good at pulling (Monks) get asked to do so, meaning constant activity. When picking a class, you don't only have to know what you want, but you have to know what you can live without.

There's nothing wrong with Human Rangers. They have good baseline starting stats for that class.

Danth
Closed Thread