Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't have silverlight so this wouldn't explain the problem continuing for me.
Man I feel for you. This is a terrible bug. Although the primary reason for this post was to give people information on how to fix what Windows 7 SP1 broke, I will diverge a little here to offer you a few more suggestions for fixing your particular issue. Maybe you have tried them, but things that might have some impact beyond what I know you have already done are:
* Restrict frame rate to 45 or 50 via EQ setting (mine is at 50)
* Turn off all versions of shader usage within EQ except 1.1
* Turn of dynamic lighting within EQ
* Disable EQ texture caching

All of the bulleted items above are just the result of some guessing on my part, with the exception of the frame rate thing which did seem to help some people. Good luck man.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Aviak

Uninstalling this patch and reinstalling it did not fix this problem for me. I just had a crash to desktop today mid-fight and got the smack down.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozudin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uninstalling this patch and reinstalling it did not fix this problem for me. I just had a crash to desktop today mid-fight and got the smack down.
Ugh! I had one as well. Just one though, whereas they usually come more than one at a time. I still believe this patch fixes a lot of the issues that got introduced withi W7 SP1. What I think is that there is still some problem that they did not yet correct. I have taken one more new step and so far so good. I no longer run IE in the background while fighting. I went this route because text associated KB article mentions the issue is related to calls to graphics DLLs when IE is on the system. May do nothing, but it's all I can think off.

So far so good - no crashes since. But I've seen that before, so I am going to keep on eye on related issues on the web.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Aviak

I had about three of these this last weekend as well as one this morning. All but one were mid fight but I was lucky enough to survive. I also had one at a merchant. Any word from Devs on this? Any tips? Things to try? There are no errors in the windows logs.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Aviak

Had another one of these crashes to desktop, mid fight, at lunch today. No errors in management console.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Aviak

I'm getting this too... and it only seems to happen when I'm kiting mobs! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebarsis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm getting this too... and it only seems to happen when I'm kiting mobs! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Happened earlier today during a quad.. logged back in naked. I tried several of the "fixes" and we shall see - wish there was a way to prove dieing in this manner so that we can get GM-rezzes.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Aviak

Have any of you tried using "Windows XP Mode" for Windows 7 to try to stop the crashing to desktop? I found it at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx and was curious if any have tried it already, and if yes, did this help?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have any of you tried using "Windows XP Mode" for Windows 7 to try to stop the crashing to desktop? I found it at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx and was curious if any have tried it already, and if yes, did this help?
How odd. I was JUST coming back to this thread to talk about that. I had this idea myself (I didn't see that page, I'll have to look). I decided to try XP SP2 mode. No crashes since, though it has only been a day and that means little with this bug, as I have found it (I've reported it fixed like 3 times already).

What I HAVE seen, is suddenly my screen will flash black for like half a second, not very often. I am thinking this might have represented a crash to desktop in non XP mode. I'd advise you and anyone else with this problem running Windows 7 (I have 64 bit) to give it a try.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did this about a week ago and it was all good, until I crashed while kiting this morning and died :/