Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Aviak

This was a huge annoyance when I was level 15-25 as an evil race. I couldn't invis myself, but I learned the hard way - I bought Cloudy Potions - after getting owned more than once.

I died, I believe, twice while using the translocators purely because the translocator spawn point put me within aggro radius of an NPC.

I remember a bard in my group who was also making the run, using Selo's to help me run around Sister Island until a high level came and killed the named sister hell bent on running me through.

As you become higher level, it's not a problem. Normally, when I'm in a group or looking for a group, a druid or wizard will be more than happy to pick me (and other non-porting characters) up somewhere. If there isn't already a druid or wizard in the group, I'm left to my own devices. If that happens, platinum talks.

Basically, as Salty put it so eloquently, blame Aeolwind. <3
Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Sarnak

I have a good idea for a compromise I will speak on behalf of the porters.

-Keep spawn time as is in all locations or add slight variance if there isn't already but make them stay up twice as long.
-Move OOT zone in point and add the 2nd zone in point like in classic with another tranlocator making 2 in this zone but on opposite sides.
-All translocators will offer to port you to all 3 locations.
-ADD A DAMN KEYWORD FOR EACH ZONE (BB, OOT, FP)

Optional:
-A full trip (skipping OOT) cost XXpp based on level if you do not have it on you then you end up in OOT.

This ends up with slightly shorter travel time then in classic (1/2) but doesn't help a guild mobilize for a RAID target if they don't have enough porters.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem though as I see it, is that I don't necessarily see "The Wait" as the enjoyable part of travel in Classic Everquest. "The Fun" was the entire experience of seeing the boat arrive, hopping aboard, and then riding it all the way to the other continent with a few other travelers running around with you on the boat.
I agree with this completely.

And maybe I played EQ for too long, but translocators almost seem like they were in place as often as the boats were, anyway. It seems much more 'Classic' to me to say: "Hey guys, we're having some issues with the boats. Until we get them resolved, translocators will be in place 24/7 to port you where you need to go."

Imagine the uproar had EQLive ever timed the TLs like this in an effort to simulate the boating experience...
Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

I was able to get my swimming skill up 26 points total while waiting for translocators in freeport and OOT last night. Yes, this is post swimming skill patch and my bard's int was at 87 or so.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuosos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Present: Translocators are up on a odd time-spawn, 10 minutes or so for each place (BB, OOT, FP) but i have noticed something. When BB spawns, it spawns 2 minutes AFTER the oot one has spawned, placing you at a rough 18minute wait just to get to the other side. That is assuming these things are, indeed, a true 10minute wait. I have been know to waste as long as 26 minutes waiting to get from FP to BB.
On Saturday, BB popped, ported me to OOT and OOT was up.

I waited a total of 5min at BB dock....don't see how that is unreasonable.

*Individual user experience may vary*
Old 02-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwence [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Translocators ruins half the game for you? Half of your game experience is invested in traveling from Butcher to EFP or vice versa?

Takes about 30 seconds max to find a port usually. Problem solved?
Its called an exageration, such as your "takes 30seconds max to find a port" comment. It does not, indeed, ruined half the game for me, more-so rather only part of the game. But, unfortunately, you focused on the wrong part of the post.

And yes, I have had that happen to me as well, Excision. But on such a low-frequency occurance that I felt it didnt really matter. One of those flukes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But, and correct me if i am wrong, this post is going exactly the same way as the Poll. People support this idea or some variance of it so I see no reason to not fix it. It is, after all, extremely close to resembling Live.

One more thing. I do feel for the evil classes in the regard of being KOS on sister island. The least we could do would be to change the spawn point around to a different area. As pointed out in the Polls thread, placing a Static boat at the end of the docks, making the translocators spawn on there, would solve most problems with evil classes. I say this because when boats worked, evil classes had the choice to jump off before reaching port.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excision Rottun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I waited a total of 5min at BB dock....don't see how that is unreasonable.

*Individual user experience may vary*
I have experienced this once or twice before as well, but that is the exception to the rule. Saying "I did this once, and it was fine" is hardly representative of the issue. Posting something like that just to try and discredit the discussion is not helping anyone.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have experienced this once or twice before as well, but that is the exception to the rule. Saying "I did this once, and it was fine" is hardly representative of the issue. Posting something like that just to try and discredit the discussion is not helping anyone.
there exists A -> for all A. Didn't you know this is a logically valid argument? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

When I traveled around at lower levels I found the TLs to be really annoying. I still use them some times. It seems like everytime I port to OOT from BB or EFP I just miss the OOT TL and end up having to wait the full duration.

I think its a perfectly reasonable suggestion to have this fixed. Would it not be simple to just have the OOT TL spawn a couple minutes after the BB one and the EFP one. Put the BB and EFP on the same timer, and have the OOT spawn a couple minutes after that.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalkin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would it not be simple to just have the OOT TL spawn a couple minutes after the BB one and the EFP one. Put the BB and EFP on the same timer, and have the OOT spawn a couple minutes after that.
That sounds like a good idea. For the folks "just passing through" OOT, they only have ONE potentially long wait for a "boat" (in FP or in BB) - just like classic.

The people leaving OOT still have to wait for a "boat" (potentially a long time) just like the people leaving FP or BB did.

Making the OOT translocator pop 2-3 minutes after the FP/BB translocators (instead of directly after) would partially simulate the boat trip delay you would have had in classic.
Last edited by Malrubius; 02-16-2010 at 03:13 PM..
Old 02-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwence [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Takes about 30 seconds max to find a port usually. Problem solved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excision Rottun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I waited a total of 5min at BB dock....don't see how that is unreasonable
Shut up. Both of you are morons.
Closed Thread