Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Swiftblade of Zek is a great weapon but it is not a good twink weapon, especially for rangers.

Dual wield doesn't get good until the 40's, in part because DW skill is low and OH never procs.

You will be much better served by running Silver Swiftblade from 1-20 and Woodsman's Staff from 25ish to 45ish.

A very-twinked ranger will actually out-solo your necro until 30ish. If you play your ranger like a warrior and don't use your spells you're gonna have a bad time and be bored and useless. Rangers are the best leveling tank for groups, one of the best pullers in outdoor zones and a great all-around asset until 50 or so when they become mediocre. They are the class I enjoy most in this game but the higher you get the more trouble you have finding groups because people want rogues instead, and most people don't realize Rangers make better group tanks than knights for the vast majority of content. It doesn't take a knight or warrior to tank a bunch of slowed sebilis mobs and rangers bring both agro management and dps, whereas a knight does almost no dps, meanwhile the cleric and shaman are sitting there at FM.
Can you elaborate more on why SoZ is no good for rangers? Im actually just curious. Rangers dont get DW till 17 so i understand why swiftblade would be more advantageous till then. But from 1-10 wouldnt a lower delay weapon do more dmg till dmg cap? Also does woodsmans staff really out-do all DW combinations till dmg bonus and higher skill cap plays intoit?

Also I agree with you on rangers efficacy during tanking, and if I were to play one its certainly something I would like to do.
Last edited by Iksar_with_a_plan; 01-09-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iksar_with_a_plan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can you elaborate more on why SoZ is no good for rangers? Im actually just curious. Rangers dont get DW till 17 so i understand why swiftblade would be more advantageous till then. But from 1-10 wouldnt a lower delay weapon do more dmg till dmg cap? Also does woodsmans staff really out-do all DW combinations till dmg bonus plays into it?

Also I agree with you on rangers efficacy during tanking, and if I were to play one its certainly something I would like to do.
You're right. Last time I made a ranger the twink weps weren't quite as good as SoZ, although silver swiftblade is still close to being under 1-10 damage cap.. I'd say 1-10 go SoZ, 10-20 Silver Swiftblade, and then Woodsman or SoZ beyond that.

Woodsman performs so well because DW performs so poorly, until higher skill levels in which you actually use your OH. Woodsman's staff parses on par with epics in the 50's from personal experience. Throw in Call of Flame between staff swings every 3rd tick and you do surprisingly good damage.
Last edited by Lune; 01-09-2019 at 07:44 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Fire Giant

Woodsman's on my Ranger was hitting HARD starting around level 30ish. Was really great DPS for soloing!
Old 01-10-2019, 12:56 AM
Fire Giant

Ranger...

Caster classes don't benefit too much from twinking, aside from maybe shaman with a good 2hander and fungi tunic
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 01-10-2019, 03:23 AM
Sarnak

After playing necro to 59, and removing his good Stam gear to give to an alt, I can say that he does not feel any different with and without gear, magic resist is nice so you don't get rooted or blinded somehow, a little hp from velium rings let's you take another smack, other than the big items like a CoS i wouldn't spend much on a necro! You'll feel your Plat much more on anything that swings a weapon or can wear a fungi, so I vote ranger!

Amualia - Level 59 Dark-Elf Cleric
Maruki - Level 23 Iksar BONEKNIGHT
Lorelai - Level 54 High-Elf Enchanter
Old 01-10-2019, 03:50 AM
Planar Protector

Human ranger imo
Old 01-10-2019, 03:58 AM
Fire Giant

if u want to feel the power of twinking, ranger

if u want to solo to 60, necro

thb, the whole purpose of twinking is to feel the advantage, and epeen stroking. necro with zheart will be eyecatching, but your leveling experience will not be as drastically better compared to lesser gears
Old 01-10-2019, 04:05 AM
Planar Protector

Agree with most posts here. Iksar necros in particular don't suffer if you level them naked and stay in Kunark til 60 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Rangers NEED gear to really enjoy the journey. Invest in a ranger if you're dropping the big plat.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 AM
Planar Protector

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DW skill is low and OH never procs.
This was an excellent post overall, but I just want to add some clarity on off hand procs; they happen at half the rate of the main hand and can happen even when duel wield fails to produce a swing with the off hand (crazy, I know).

I used silver swiftblade for most of my ranger's early life. Wurmslayer and lupine dagger for a while in the 40s, until I got Swiftwind (it's a great off hand). I also got the 50% haste click early 50s from sky. At 59 I finally got Earthcaller.

Can't twink the sky cloak afaik but epics are MQable. Earthcaller seems rarer since Verant made it 'more attainable'.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 AM
Planar Protector

Twink a woof elf ranger......BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTT!

Make it an archer!!!

Give yourself a velium bow, haste sword, fleeting quiver...and lots of 10 slot bags filled with basic store arrows (along with a few potions of sow).

Then ....go.... and experience what it is like to be a god amongst mere mortals.

Bows bypass the low level damage cap, so 1-10 you DESTROY everything.

10-20 you can't be touched....no downtime...dealing more damage than any class can. You are a god dancing through the world with arrows flying everywhere....you may even find it a little TOO powerful....and amuse yourself by killing a sand giant or two (One of my archers I killed a sand giant at level 8 or 9).

20-30....damage slows down a little, but you are still far outperforming any other class. You have more options too, you can root rott enemies....or run them around using your damage spells to increase your DPS. You have no downtime, but the gap is closing....

35....the skydarkener. If you can get this fabled weapon, it begins to proc at level 35.....and once again you will know what it is to be a god! Quad kiting? Octo-kiting? It doesn't matter how many you grab, they will all die eventually. Again, you have no downtime, you can kill 4+ at the same time with the bows AE proc.....this will take you to 55+ (quadding otters? Sure. Quadding armors? Sure. Quadding dreadlands stuff? easy.... you aren't limited like a wizard or druid by mana, only by the number of arrows you have left....and once you get the bracer, that isn't a limit anymore either).

The life of a twink archer is power few in Norrath have experienced.....the power of archers are legendary.
Closed Thread