Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-19-2022, 02:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enphuego [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

it's just that I'm cash starved and 10 upgrades at 150pp each give me incremental increases to my agro and survivability where as one great upgrade forces me to endure a lot of levels with the same gear.
You're right - you are better off levelling with no upgrades -- but youre incorrect about the survivability and agro in incremental upgrades. The best defense is a good offense when it comes to warriors. Especially pre level 40-45. When you swing at something with a staff of battle and it dies in a handful or dozen of hits, it doesnt have much time to do any damage to you.

your current weapons are 0.5 ratio or less. staff of battle is 0.83 ratio. with silver chitin handwraps its 1.19 ratio. Thats more than 2x the ratio of your current weapons. this game is old and built on easy formulas for melee. high ratio => win big time in melee fights... win big time => take less damage... take less damage => survive more...

Much more than those little 50p, 150p upgrades will do for you.
Last edited by zelld52; 08-19-2022 at 02:24 AM..
Old 08-19-2022, 02:37 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Hmm. I definitely have to sit back and think about this.

It's not that SCHW are bad on a cost/benefit analysis. I agree that killing quickly results in both increased agro and decreased damaged done.

It's just that the price is higher than I can earn. I leveled from 22 - 26 in Mistomoore and when I cashed out I made 300pp. If I were to do that 5 times I'd be able to afford SCHW. But then I'd be level 46?

The cash generation game is highly level dependent if that makes sense. If you can pick between spending the time on 10 levels or SCHW maybe it makes sense to do the 10 levels first then grind out the SCHW money at twice the speed?

It's hard to relate to this if you already have money.... of course it makes sense to drop 2kpp on SCHW and a weapon if you already have 2kpp. Then you can make more money and buy the rest. But if 2kpp is out of your reach until level 35 are you really going to swing rusty weapons to get there?
Old 08-19-2022, 09:01 AM
Fire Giant

if you are grouping as a warrior, gear doesnt mean much for the first 50 levels. just fill each slot with decent AC, and get a good weapon -- thats always been the strategy of a tank class.

theres also much better places to level for cash. Sol A is fantastic for cash generation. /tell clerics, rogues, enchanters, etc to come to Sol A with you. Pick up (share) all of the bricks of ore you can find. Should make several hundred plat per 1-2 levels in Sol A.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

Honestly if you’re on a really tight budget go full banded, a set of 5ac55hp rings and a decent ratio weapons. Save every extra penny until you can afford cheap haste. I’d rather have haste and a decent ratio weapon with garbage elsewhere than middling/low crap filling all slots and no haste.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-19-2022, 03:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly if you’re on a really tight budget go full banded, a set of 5ac55hp rings and a decent ratio weapons. Save every extra penny until you can afford cheap haste. I’d rather have haste and a decent ratio weapon with garbage elsewhere than middling/low crap filling all slots and no haste.
This, OP. I levelled a warrior 20-40 with banded, 5ac 55hp rings, staff of battle and silver chitin handwraps. Mostly solo with bandages, too.

The middling 50/150p upgrades you mention, OP -- you have to resell those when you upgrade them - and you won't recoup the value. If youre seeking best value, SCHW is hard to beat.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

I agree that a decent ratio weapon and haste, any haste, give the most bang for the buck. Beyond, Crustacean armor is pretty common in that general price range. All of it is better than banded and a few of the pieces have enough stamina to make them usable most the way to 60.

Danth
Old 08-20-2022, 08:11 AM
Planar Protector

I find cheap gear with str>weight and passable ac is great for levelling melee. Don’t splurge - with half decent weapon, haste, minimal gear and bandages you’ll get by until lower end raid stuff.

Each point of str subtract weight is worth at least 1 pp each time you vend. Thats an extra stack of bandages, which are like 500hp each (or more).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-21-2022, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

Okay I got the cobalt items to double check, and reckless strength overwrites Kunzar. Kunzar is blocked by reckless strength.

Don't bother with the gloves unless you can't find the boots.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 08-21-2022 at 05:07 PM..
Old 08-21-2022, 05:10 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay I got the cobalt items to double check, and reckless strength overwrites Kunzar. Kunzar is blocked by reckless strength.

Don't bother with the gloves unless you can't find the boots.
I think you meant this for the Troll Warrior thread
Old 08-23-2022, 10:47 PM
Planar Protector

staff of battle > SCHW > 55 hp rings

then save everything else possible for a fungi if solo

if grouping, get a frostbringer and infestation for aggro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.