Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:02 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I agree, because using the tools provided on this website for people to know what you are selling or sitting in ecommons all day is way different.

On topic. Most of the hate is derived from ignorance OP. People use stuff like "cats on the moon" to validate the hate for an expansion for a game that is about fantasy. Most stuff like the 30 min spires and bazaar are actually completely irrelevant and just more BS to be spewed to try and validate the hate some more.

I do understand the hate for the graphics though. That being said its 2015 and if you are playing EQ in the first place because you think the graphics are phenomenal then there is other issues at hand. It does though take away from the "nostalgia" that some people are looking for. Luckily there was this really cool thing you could do called not enabling them.

I'm sure though wether it was ever implemented or not, the pop would stay roughly the same, and honestly with the talked about "green" server it would be interesting to see the devs keep imitating live better then live.

This all being said, Luclin AND PoP both caused NO negative impact on the game and was not "the beginning of the end" so many people try to claim, hence the growing subs that existed during that time. Again, it is completely fabricated that some majority of population somewhere in no where land hated Luclin, because it's not true. Maybe the majority on this forums, but I can't speak for that nor feel you would ever get accurate condenenses given the amount of trolls etc.
That's correct, bold part for emphasis.

You see a lot of hate for Luclin/PoP on these forums because this is a server dedicated to classic. So it has a high concentration of people who think classic EQ is the best, and that anything added after ruined the game. Like you said, growing subs during these expansions is the proof that the game was doing great.

I was an avid forum reader during the time i played, i remember the reactions people had when new stuff was added. You could almost hear the collective orgasm of rangers when archery mastery and endless quiver were implemented. They felt that, finally, their class became what it was supposed to be all along.

I remember clerics throwing their panties in a bunch over druids getting their ghetto CH, but then divine arbitration+group heal became the new way to heal when they realized they could be a battle cleric by summoning a proccing hammer of what the fuck and regen mana standing with yaulp. Suddenly druids having a CH didn't matter so much, because clerics were still needed in raids and group healing became fun and interactive.

I remember people being slack-jawed at wizard dps. They went from hate/sky port bitches to desired in groups due to crits, mana conservation and spell dmg focii, harvest AA and FT on gear becoming more prevalent. Warriors were not struggling for threat like they do on p99. Even though they didn't have weapon proc AA in PoP yet, they had ingenuity, allowing them to crit from procs. Casters having Spell Casting Subtlety AA made it that they generated less threat. That helped warrior tanking a lot, while still being raiding tank kings.

There was some people who didn't like it, but the huge majority of people playing during Luclin/PoP were loving the game and where it was at.

"Cats on the moon" is just a meme, it doesn't mean anything other than "meh, i just don't like it", it's not a real argument. Because there are no real arguments. They can say they don't like it, they can state their preferences and their reasons, while emotional, are valid for them.

But as far as the gameplay, class balance (inter & versus content) and general improvements, there is simply no way you can't deny the game was just better during Luclin/PoP. Not "not like it", that's fine to not like it, but to actually say "the game was worse than it was during classic/kunark/velious", sorry that's being delusional.

There are preferences and there are facts. Luclin/PoP made the game better, that's just a fact.
Last edited by Erydan Ouragan; 04-15-2015 at 04:05 AM..
Old 04-15-2015, 04:17 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I loved luclin, but it was the begging of the end, I hope we never see it :P:P
Old 04-15-2015, 04:53 AM
Banned

you know what else had growing subs, world of warcrafat.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:48 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's correct, bold part for emphasis.

You see a lot of hate for Luclin/PoP on these forums because this is a server dedicated to classic. So it has a high concentration of people who think classic EQ is the best, and that anything added after ruined the game. Like you said, growing subs during these expansions is the proof that the game was doing great.

I was an avid forum reader during the time i played, i remember the reactions people had when new stuff was added. You could almost hear the collective orgasm of rangers when archery mastery and endless quiver were implemented. They felt that, finally, their class became what it was supposed to be all along.

I remember clerics throwing their panties in a bunch over druids getting their ghetto CH, but then divine arbitration+group heal became the new way to heal when they realized they could be a battle cleric by summoning a proccing hammer of what the fuck and regen mana standing with yaulp. Suddenly druids having a CH didn't matter so much, because clerics were still needed in raids and group healing became fun and interactive.

I remember people being slack-jawed at wizard dps. They went from hate/sky port bitches to desired in groups due to crits, mana conservation and spell dmg focii, harvest AA and FT on gear becoming more prevalent. Warriors were not struggling for threat like they do on p99. Even though they didn't have weapon proc AA in PoP yet, they had ingenuity, allowing them to crit from procs. Casters having Spell Casting Subtlety AA made it that they generated less threat. That helped warrior tanking a lot, while still being raiding tank kings.

There was some people who didn't like it, but the huge majority of people playing during Luclin/PoP were loving the game and where it was at.

"Cats on the moon" is just a meme, it doesn't mean anything other than "meh, i just don't like it", it's not a real argument. Because there are no real arguments. They can say they don't like it, they can state their preferences and their reasons, while emotional, are valid for them.

But as far as the gameplay, class balance (inter & versus content) and general improvements, there is simply no way you can't deny the game was just better during Luclin/PoP. Not "not like it", that's fine to not like it, but to actually say "the game was worse than it was during classic/kunark/velious", sorry that's being delusional.

There are preferences and there are facts. Luclin/PoP made the game better, that's just a fact.
ALL THIS
Old 04-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

+1

Best post so far in the thread!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can't be serious....

In addition to:

SoL introduced a new graphics engine, Alternate Advancement, the Bazaar, horse mounts, bane weapons, and beastlords.

Get it together, Daldaen.
New graphics engine for player models you could turn off.

AAs - Playing and earning experience, increases characters power. Sound very Classic and DnD like.
Bazaar - Increased the amount of low end stuff for sale. Stuff that previously got destroyed, that wasn't worth the time to sell in EC now got put up in the bazaar. This was an excellent addition.
Horses - Made playing a caster in an outdoor zone a bit more convenient, and provided a decent money sink in game. For purposes of traveling they were pretty useless unless you got a raid one, group one or spent 100k. They certainly didn't devalue SoW for your general gamer.
Bane Weapons - Same idea as Invulnerable Willowisps. Just another mechanic with some lord behind it on why you cannot hurt extremely powerful mobs. Superman had kryptonite. Emperor Ssra and LIS had Banes.
Beastlords - Great class added. Finally the slowing role in a group could be filled reliably by a hybrid. More buffs/special abilities. A pet class for people who prefer Melee over casters. It was a decent mix of many existing classes with some unique aspects.

I wasnt a fan of the nee PC models in many cases. But the rest were great improvements to the game. Banes were annoying to farm, but were hardly required to complete the content.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
New graphics engine for player models you could turn off.
i have to say that this option didn't help because It still affected how others were seeing me. I didn't like the fact that other players were looking at different models than me. It broke my immersion.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i have to say that this option didn't help because It still affected how others were seeing me. I didn't like the fact that other players were looking at different models than me. It broke my immersion.
Haha. Not sure if serious.

But if serious, I hope we can break the use of Luclin Models and updated Textures here on P99. Also breaking UIs with pet windows, percentages, multiple hotbar pages, multiple chat boxes, item linking.

One day I hope P99 wrecks all those things. Maybe by the time Green99 is out. Then we will see who really likes classic EQ.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This all being said, Luclin AND PoP both caused NO negative impact on the game and was not "the beginning of the end" so many people try to claim, hence the growing subs that existed during that time. Again, it is completely fabricated that some majority of population somewhere in no where land hated Luclin, because it's not true. Maybe the majority on this forums, but I can't speak for that nor feel you would ever get accurate condenenses given the amount of trolls etc.
Not sure I can say I've seen anyone argue this, because we understand that we are minority and that's why we are here on Project 1999 and the reason a select few of us were (the development team) were ambitious enough to restore that experience.

If you want PoP go play TakProject. If a similar experience will suffice, go play anything else. If neither of those appeal, persuade someone to make a server to your liking. Otherwise you are stuck with what we have here :/ Sorry.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

There is a reason why Project 1999 has had the highest population over any other EverQuest Emulator over the past 5 years.

I look at classic Everquest (Vanilla +RoK and SoV) as a separate game from SoL and beyond. I'm not denying that the game did not get better with Luclin, but it deviated from, what I feel, the original design. Again, just my opinion.

But I guess every MMO has to adapt and cater to everyone or else people will lose interest and SOE will lose subscription money.