Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Put an end to account buying and selling?
Yes 273 70.18%
No 116 29.82%
Voters: 389. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Sarnak

People will do it anyway, it'll just create more work for the admins if they have to investigate a bunch of cases. You could pretty much eliminate account selling if you gave the server its own login structure like The Sleeper did and made it so you can't change account passwords (or made it an arduous process like IP exemptions are). Nobody would buy an account that they can't change the password for.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issues [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This line stuck out to me.

Not sure how a guy sitting in a chair playing a video game is more lazy for not wanting to spend weeks leveling another toon or simply having the platinum so he doesn't have to.

If anything, sitting in a chair, playing a video game is lazy and saving weeks of time leveling up another toon, might give you more time to not sit in a computer chair, playing a video game, being lazy.

Do rich people in real life do mundane activities or do they pay someone to do it for them?

Yeah I said real life since you brought up the word "lazy" when referring to the human body entertaining itself while in a stationary position accomplishing nothing else but self satisfaction.
"Mundane activities?"

If you call playing Everquest a "mundane activity", then why exactly are you even playing in the first place?

If you don't enjoy the game, don't play it. Leveling a character is not a mundane activity in EQ, it is the core of the game experience. Yes, you can obviously do other things like trade, raid, tradeskill, quest and socialize, but all of those other aspects of the game are peripheral to leveling. They exist either to facilitate leveling or as a consequence of leveling. This is Everquest. The destination IS the journey.

The point is that you aren't entitled to play a high level character without leveling it yourself. It's entirely unclassic and has ruinous side effects on the community.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Mundane activities?"

If you call playing Everquest a "mundane activity", then why exactly are you even playing in the first place?

If you don't enjoy the game, don't play it. Leveling a character is not a mundane activity in EQ, it is the core of the game experience. Yes, you can obviously do other things like trade, raid, tradeskill, quest and socialize, but all of those other aspects of the game are peripheral to leveling. They exist either to facilitate leveling or as a consequence of leveling. This is Everquest. The destination IS the journey.

The point is that you aren't entitled to play a high level character without leveling it yourself. It's entirely unclassic and has ruinous side effects on the community.
I doubt theres anyone buying an account that hasnt leveled at least one character, where would they have the money...

if theyve leveled 1 2 3 4..some people here have legitimately levled 5+ lvl 60 characters. at this point if they just want to raid i think they have earned the right to just skip the leveling process if they want.

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Mundane activities?"

Unless someone has RMT'd...then they have already level'd up a character experiencing all you have listed above. This is how they have the platinum to buy an account. Repeating this more than once, twice etc...could be considered Mundane by the definition of the word.

I can tell by your tone though how strongly you feel about your stance on this subject, I'll agree to disagree because forum arguing really isn't my thing.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I doubt theres anyone buying an account that hasnt leveled at least one character, where would they have the money...
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

I'd never have been able to kit my cleric if I hadn't sold my SK (Brik)/enchanter (Swish) account on blue.

Apparently Swish can be seen online sometimes, it isn't me anymore but I do hold the name on red [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

so much rmt paranoia

its not going to stop it, instead of buying an account theyll buy plat and plvl a char to 60. not level it by traditional means, they wont be grouping with players theyll be taking all the mobs. Not all cases all the time but it will happen more frequently than it does now.

Id rather see a banned player/rmt skip all that and go straight to raiding than screwing up with our low level population of people trying to enjoy the game.

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 05-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

The people who say banning account sales/trades will force it to go underground are forgetting that once people are aware that this activity is a bannable offense the server will begin to self report/police people who buy those accounts. Its not like people cant tell when their friend stops playing and the toon logs on and acts different or has a different vent voice etc.

True a black market will develop but the impact will be much lower than it presently is and most account sales/trades will be confined to the top guilds procuring items/alts for raid spawns.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if theyve leveled 1 2 3 4..some people here have legitimately levled 5+ lvl 60 characters. at this point if they just want to raid i think they have earned the right to just skip the leveling process if they want.
This sense of entitlement is the root of this argument. I have a level 60 cleric, and I'm leveling a rogue in my spare time. If I want to play a shaman, I should have to level that shaman. The reward for my work would simply be the level 60 shaman. The reward for my time investment on my cleric has been my level 60 cleric (and sure, some plat to gear up my rogue). I don't think I should feel entitled to an entire spectrum of classes because I've leveled a few on my own.
Last edited by Nocte; 05-01-2013 at 02:07 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Kobold

Quote:
give me ONE REAL reason it should be banned, all ive heard from people are it should be banned because either they dont like it, or they believe its stopping people from leveling alts and harming exp groups which is nothing but personal opinion.

Where is the harm?
Its supposed to be classic EQ. trading account was banned back then. buying an account to get your shaman to 60 isn't how EQ's supposed to be played.
There you go for one good reasons. Thousand more good reason as well.
Now give me 1 good reason NOT to ban.
Closed Thread