Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingleson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now I realize it's common courtesy to tip someone for buffs, revives, and ports. I always tip when I ask for any of these services (what I can afford, anyway), but the point is that it's technically a free service from most people and clients don't HAVE to tip if they don't want to. It's extremely petty and tacky, but they don't have to.

But I've run into a few people now that say things like "Porting for donations, at least 25pp" or "Will buff for tips." which gives the impression that they won't port you or buff you unless you give them a donation, turning a complimentary service into a paid one. I've even seen a few cases where newbies have been turned down for buffs or ports after asking politely for one, and I get the feeling it was because the people they were asking knew that they were broke and likely wouldn't have money for a donation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for tipping someone who spends their time and mana to help you out, I always tip when I can, but when did donations turn into a MANDATORY thing? When did people start acting like "no donation? no port."?
I've never played a druid or a wizard that was high enough level to port. I played a cleric in live, but never once buffed for a tip. I also never just sat around buffing people for no reason.

That being said, they have a service they can offer that people are willing to pay for. They choose to spend their time in the interest of offering that service with the explicit goal of making money. And they have the right to do so because they're not doing anything that hurts anyone and they don't owe anyone a thing. I spend my time how I choose and they can spend theirs how they choose.

No one owes you a goddamn thing. If you don't want to pay for a port, then you should "/ooc looking for a port for free because I am entitled and it doesn't cost you anything to port me".

This thread is fucking dumb.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Sarnak

GTFO with this nonsense and quit acting like you're time is more valuable than any porter that might go out of their way to port you. You want them to sit around and burn their mana and time for free? It is not "1 click". It's "1 click" and at least a minute of medding to get that mana back + the mana to gate back. 375 mana under level 40 is a lot of mana. Quit being a cheapskate. I donate at least 75p+whatever gold is on me for ports.

To the porters, easiest way to get around people that want free ports? Only port people that say "WTB Port" or "Donating for port".
Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Large Rat

I typically tip anywhere from 30-60 plat depending on the circumstances (did they sow me, are there others riding with me, did they pick me up). When asking for a port I often roleplay the request too just to make it less boring for both parties. In such a small community it is better to build bridges and not walls [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andervin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Donations because it sounds better than platz and it implies that whatever you feel like "donating" is fine. e.g. a fresh n00b like me can't afford 100p for a port whereas someone with multiple 60s, that likely destroys 100p regularly because they're encumbered, can afford it. People really need to get the sand out of their pussies. Don't like it? Don't pay it. wtf? Quit worrying what other people are doing.
What the fuck are you even talking about? Did you not understand what I said?

All I was saying was people need to learn fucking English.

I don't mind people charging a fee for doing ports, but calling it a donation isn't correct.

Project 1999 Red
Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTr33z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What the fuck are you even talking about? Did you not understand what I said?

All I was saying was people need to learn fucking English.

I don't mind people charging a fee for doing ports, but calling it a donation isn't correct.
You don't sound like a happy tree. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTr33z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This has always pissed me off in MMOs, if a service requires a "donation", it's not a fucking donation. It's a fee. Donations are optional gifts of money or goods, a fee is a required payment made in exchange for goods or services.
Some services run on donations. If nobody donates, the services ceases to exist.

Does that mean those donations are technically fees? I mean, some kind of payment is required of somebody to continue the service.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

mmmmm the anger is strong

/popcorn
Old 11-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

I personally see nothing wrong with someone who ports me asking for a little shellfish. A strange request, aye, but nothing to get angry about.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Fire Giant

Me, I'd shell out a few clams. Otterwise, it takes you ten times as long to get anywhere.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xexbis0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
GTFO with this nonsense and quit acting like you're time is more valuable than any porter that might go out of their way to port you. You want them to sit around and burn their mana and time for free? It is not "1 click". It's "1 click" and at least a minute of medding to get that mana back + the mana to gate back. 375 mana under level 40 is a lot of mana. Quit being a cheapskate. I donate at least 75p+whatever gold is on me for ports.

To the porters, easiest way to get around people that want free ports? Only port people that say "WTB Port" or "Donating for port".
That's the ultimate indication of greed, someone who thinks they're entitled to charge money for their MANA. All they have to do is sit on their ass for 30 seconds and boom, mana back courtesy of Meditation. And it's not THEIR mana, it's the GAMES mana.
Closed Thread