Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Banned

In his seminal text, “I mean dude lol,” p99 9-year veteran, Tuljin, employs repetition of the phrase “I love” as a virtue signal to other “hardcore” gamers, who may be on the fence about the recent adjustments to quest experience. Particularly, it is through the use of the pronoun, “I,” that the speaker conjures up the image of a righteous veteran of sorts - clenched fists on his hips, chin held high, the gatekeeper of right and wrong.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuljin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean dude lol I'm not mad at all. I delight in watching everyone who joined Blue after Velious launch get owned by Kunark. I love watching everybody who only Chardok AOE leveled thru 50s having to actually grind and kill frogs that gate, dot, and cast ice comet. Its great to see people having to mini-raid Sebilis only to realize that 6 people at a time are getting XP and....they all actually need to be getting XP. I love watching one guild of former TMO, Velious-era blue nub ~~~rAiDeRs~~~ and former WoW players bogart all the VP key pieces and slowly come to the realization that ~mere pieces~ of a key quest don't drop for 3 straight days of farming. And they need to do that 40 times. Times three. All while trying to make it to 60.

Let's get out the paper napkins here, EQ nerds.

I am thrilled that all the "whats the first Fungi gonna sell for" talk has come to a grinding halt. Kunark is here. Nobody is selling shit. Nobody is going to sell shit. Nobody knows shit. What is the first Fungi gonna sell for? "x amount" of DKP. That's what its gonna sell for. Where and when are the fat cats gonna spend their money? How many manastones can possibly sell for 300k? How many "300k" manastone sales can this server possibly support when there are indeed hundreds of them???

Turning EQ into a "speedrun" via exploit and acting like its an achievement is totally silly. Watching someone who is good at the game solo out to 60 in very quick time is impressive. Small trios and groups going and grinding it out without cheesing the game hard is impressive. You can tell a good EQ player from a nub. Very very quickly and easily.

Doing exploits that take lots of "time" but no "skill" is actually not impressive at all whatsoever.

Watching Arcus speerun Ninja Gaiden in 11-and-a-half minutes after over 30,000 attempts is impressive and very entertaining to watch. Spending hundreds of hours killing green mobs and buying scrolls is impressive only from a time commitment standpoint. However, 300 hours is nowhere near the time someone like Arcus put into mastering Ninja Gaiden. People can waste their time however they want though.

It becomes extremely lame when someone boasts about it as if they -did- complete a world record speedrun of a videogame. I'm not mad dude. I am very happy that Manastone is mad. I'm not a schadenfreude kinda guy but there are others who were up to the same scheme who didn't intend to turn it into some giant ego stroke and don't run their mouths about it and cry when it got shut down.

To the nubs who can't turn in quest XP for the next month - - - go thank Manastone personally. He's on all the time, send him a tell.
I'm pretty sure like every other strategy, the first 60 on server is who doesnt have a job and can grind 20 hrs a day. The majority of the "difficulty" in leveling on Kunark is the fact that you can't sit afk in most places and have to actively play. Most people dont have 20 hours a day to actively play/level a toon. That's perfectly fine but I'm not gonna be wowed by the first 60 either.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In his seminal text, “I mean dude lol,” p99 9-year veteran, Tuljin, employs repetition of the phrase “I love” as a virtue signal to other “hardcore” gamers, who may be on the fence about the recent adjustments to quest experience. Particularly, it is through the use of the pronoun, “I,” that the speaker conjures up the image of a righteous veteran of sorts - clenched fists on his hips, chin held high, the gatekeeper of right and wrong.
I can't really tell the "/s" or not here man lol but either way its comical to me. I am nowhere near as "hardcore" as other people on this box as far as time I can commit to the game is concerned. I do very much like EQ for its "hardcore" gameplay elements and I have since the late 90s.

Manastone and I have a little tete-a-tete going on the forums, so really I am responding to his assertation that "I am mad."

I indeed am -not- mad whatsoever. Watching the Kunark launch unfold is very entertaining to me. What I am mostly happy about is getting to level up in Kunark in Classic gear with my long-time EQ buddies. It is a ton of fun. Everything else is just a bonus.

There are some "classic" game mechanics that have been changed since Blue which I am very happy about. When everyone refers to "classic" including the devs and GMs I'm pretty sure the accuracy of these particular gameplay mechanics are of very high priority yet everyone is so meta crazy they overlook it entirely. No more invis pulling, no more melee push. I noticed in Seb that Jins and Boks now gate. Only Krups and up gated on Blue. I am excited to see what else has been changed.

Everyone has their heads so far up their asses, unfortunately, that they're gonna sit and bitch about having to go kill mobs to get XP because the devs want to attempt to recreate the "spirit" of classic. Really, they're gonna go bitch about playing the game.

Thing is though...bitching about having to go play EQ for xp on p99 is nothing new. That's been happening since....uh.....2013 really? Really when the Chardok machine started to crank full force and far too many idiots and assholes had far too many lvl 60s far too easily which permanently marred the "spirit" of the project. Many veteran players would concur. I couldn't even roll a toon here until I finished grad school, I would have rolled earlier if I could have.

So idk, I'm not a gatekeeper at all. Its not about "right or wrong." Its about how I actually -like- EQ. I like how the devs are trying to not only recreate technical mechanics but also apply the "spirit of the rule" where applicable. Cancelling Chardok AOE took far too long.

The fact of the matter is many people who ended up on p99 actually -don't- like EQ at all. Whatsoever. Its been that way for years. They like Discord, Google docs, sitting around all day collecting DKP instead of....going and playing the game, and turning the game into "WoW."

Then they're gonna go bitch and moan when an xpack is dropped. Who -actually- has their hands on their hips?

<The A-Team>
Old 11-10-2020, 01:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most people dont have 20 hours a day to actively play/level a toon. That's perfectly fine but I'm not gonna be wowed by the first 60 either.
I agree, really any kind of "speedrunning" on this box is like the Special Olympics...we all know that joke

<The A-Team>
Old 11-10-2020, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

Shut the fuck up dude
You fucking stored a bunch of useless shit and wasted a bunch of time on something that was ultimately fucking retarded in the first place

Get fucked, idiot

"... I don't think I remember him digging for this long..."

The A-Team

twitch.tv/crexxus
Old 11-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

20 hours a day? Someone needs to the read "The Slight Edge" by Jeff Olson and get enlightened.

Man, I see some epic baby rage. Fun.

Join me. I'm obviously always ragin */dance /dance /dance*
Old 11-10-2020, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

We've had a lot of days of classic so @ 5 chips a day that'd = how many chips and how much exp would that = on an iksar with a big exp penalty?

So what if there is 1 person (and I'm not accusing castle of doing this) spent the last year only farming bone chips so they could macro the turn in.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry you didn't get to cheese your way to 60.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We've had a lot of days of classic so @ 5 chips a day that'd = how many chips and how much exp would that = on an iksar with a big exp penalty?

So what if there is 1 person (and I'm not accusing castle of doing this) spent the last year only farming bone chips so they could macro the turn in.
then they're just a fucking nerd?
no one actually gives a shit about any of these people for abusing quests or whatever.

it's all about making fun of them for being fucking losers and there's literally nothing they can do to defend themselves

that's it. end of story.

The A-Team

twitch.tv/crexxus
Old 11-10-2020, 03:16 PM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The A-Team

twitch.tv/crexxus
Closed Thread