Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
But the people you WANT at your party - I.E.
But we don't want Internet Explorer at the party.. invite Chrome instead, lulz 2.0
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Kobold

I wish people wouldn't have hatred in this world [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*facepalm*
Why facepalm you fucking faggot? I'd seriously pay money to play on the server, big deal. Fuck off.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Planar Protector

Man I can't tell you guys how many times the god-damned paparazzi have ruined one of my parties. I actually wrote that song for Lady GaGa, bitch still hasn't paid me!
Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Fire Giant

It's Lord Gaga.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal597 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone with $100 (probably less to hit a small server like the emu server, it isn't like it is a corporate web farm) and a contact (usually in Russia) can buy a DDoS attack. It doesn't take any special talent or knowledge. It is about as hard a buying a bag of weed.

Appeasing the attacker will just bring more attacks. The only real option, as many have already suggested, is to pay the price to put in the appropriate protections. Otherwise, just shut 'er down.
It would save us time if the attacker had a legitimate case (like we killed his brother and family by mistake and he wants the whole world to know). I imagine some people would hate the attacker because his attack hurt people, but some people would feel sorry for him because he lost his family. If appeasing him by showing the world how his family died did not stop his attacks, then further appeasing will do nothing and you're correct.

Of course, the ddos attacker, according to what I've seen, does -not- have a legitimate case. He attacked because his friend was banned for duping. Umm, ok. Appeasing would accomplish nothing.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
According to Rogean the abuse is from UDP traffic so it seems that simply rate limiting the traffic should be sufficient to block this, with sane thresholds on bitrate and packet size that would constitute and classify abuse appropriately.

Given that the server runs Windows you don't have kernel level packet filtering functionality available so you'd want a solution available at the switch level or before it arrives to the server.

Most co-location facility carriers provide this functionality, however you could easily use the same approach with a cheaply built unix based machine between drop-->server to rate limit and meter UDP connections.

My 2 copper pieces, this sort of thing is my career outside of Norrath, it pains me dearly to see such an awesome project suffer from a few nerdragers and I'd be more than happy to donate my time and experience to help get us back on track if needed. Rogean, you know how to get in contact with me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a small world. Thanks for offering your help.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Finawin

Lol you are trying to reason with irrationally retarded fuckwads

That doesn't work.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finawin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol you are trying to reason with irrationally retarded fuckwads

That doesn't work.
Yeah... I think the only means of working this out is to combat the attack. This person has an agenda and trying to pacify them will only show weakness.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaileint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah, Sejal is from Crimson Eternity, a great guild from Emarr's heyday. I was in Caelistis Ignis, during Luclin and PoP. I played several characters:

Avry - HIE Cleric
Ratanza - Vah Warrior
Jaileint - DE Necromancer
Hey, no shit. I was Ssetti!
Closed Thread