Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Teams is a bad idea... being unable to kill someone for reasons other than level are dumb. If you set up teams you have to stop X-teaming by hardcoding blocks on beneficial spells.. which once again is stupid because sometimes you wanna stay a quick buff on someone you're killing.

Okay.. so now that the teams idea is dead... let's talk levels... 4? 8? 10? 15?

I think 4 is good. It stops people in classic from entering the planes unless they are within range of 50s, but it keeps things relatively balanced as far as resists and what not go. When Kunark goes live I'd be all for bumping it up to 8 levels.
I totally agree. it will definitely increase the quality of pvp. It's safe to say that it usually takes more skill to kill someone within 4 levels than someone who is 8 levels below you.

I know some people will oppose to this, they will want at least 8 so they can gank people who are leveling up. But in reality, that's not really pvp. That's just attacking someone whom is preoccupied with a mob and someone who you already have an advantage over with 4+ levels above him/her/it.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Banned

Having played on both a faction based(Vallon zek) and FFA based(multiple emu servers), I can that there are definently pro's and con's to both.

Faction based definently helps people joining the server without a group of friends. There's a natural sense of comradery. This make people more likely to stick with the game at lower levels as they are able to make friends and get groups faster.

The cons are that it creates less targets. There's nothing worse then standing next to someone you want to kill but you can't because of the hard code. Thats usually when you see training and other douchebaggery because there's no in game mechanic to solve your conflict. To counter this on Vallon Zek, cross team guilds were formed so that we could call in guildmates to take care of these types of situations. This introduced other problems such as "Immortal healing" where a member of the same team was healing members of other teams and there was nothing you could do about it.

I'd almost say make it faction based until the level cap and then make it FFA once your hit the cap. I havent thought this all the way through however.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arillious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd almost say make it faction based until the level cap and then make it FFA once your hit the cap. I havent thought this all the way through however.
sounds interesting. once you're a big boy and grow up, you get to go off on your own.. kinda like it. then again, that means you will be leveling basically uncontested, no pvp till you get bigger. and ppl may stay 49 to camp shit etc. so i would hope the "teams" only lasted till level 40 or so. but nice idea never considered that before

i have always promoted FFA and an "auto-guild" that everyone started out in when they created a new char., just to give ppl a chance to connect if they're new to the server. could leave the guild at any time so it's no detriment to anyone who doesn't want to be there. some players may even choose to stay in the auto-guild forever, and help newbs out
Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Kobold

So we can all agree Open PVP with -factions for killing team members; EQ justice..

with Light vs Dark teams (sks/necros/bad religions are bad guys)... that way you can do what you need to but it still emphasizes co-operation
Last edited by jbs89; 04-21-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Old 04-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

If the goal is to have a healthy population, teams (at least at the start) is pretty necessary. Nothing (not even Kringe zonecmd'n) will deter people more than not having people to start with.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrmacht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since there were rallos zek halflings on SZ evil team as well as all kinds of bards and other crap, the list I said above is really no different.
I forgets but I don't think the evil team had halfings and they def didn't have druids or rangers.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I forgets but I don't think the evil team had halfings and they def didn't have druids or rangers.
evil team has SKs and Necros... thats more than enough
Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the goal is to have a healthy population, teams (at least at the start) is pretty necessary. Nothing (not even Kringe zonecmd'n) will deter people more than not having people to start with.
that's not true at all. teams will only hinder pvp since it will limit the amount of people whom you can pvp with.

if any of this were true, the Rallos Zek server wouldnt have existed at all. teams will only cause nuisances such as immortal healers and more training.

the misconception that teams promotes more camaraderie than FFA is false.

I'm a product of Rallos Zek and Emu PVP. both instances i started playing not knowing a single person, yet I was able to make friends and join guilds instantly.

what makes you think there wont be guilds recruiting people in an FFA-based server?

hard-coding teams can only limit the potential of the server and will most likely cause lop-sided pvp. It's very unlikely that server would be 50 percent good and 50% bad.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to naez Send a message via AIM to naez Send a message via MSN to naez Send a message via Yahoo to naez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

i think any war can worship rz
Last edited by naez; 04-21-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Old 04-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Fire Giant

RZ item drop was as hardcore as it gets, wouldn't have any complaints from me if they decided to go that way. As for ffa vs faction, ffa is the obvious choice.
Closed Thread