Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Sarnak

Love spending 3+ hours of hardcore killing to clear POF then watching 50 people zone in to try to JACK cazic. Get into a top tier guild and watch those 50 have front row seats to your kill. (true story btw) =D
Old 11-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

What's the complaint exactly? After the new raid rules were posted and sky opened, this has been the first thread really bitching about the raiding scene for months. Rotation sounds lame as fuck. The current system is at least somewhat meritocratic - if you mobilize faster and have better, more talented players, that will trend towards getting more raid targets to kill. Rotation means that every capable guild gets an equal shot at all targets, which is unfair because not every capable guild is equally skilled.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 11-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Kobold

not to side bust this glorious thread but... Randy your avatar picture makes me want to laugh and throw up at the same time lol
Old 11-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Love spending 3+ hours of hardcore killing to clear POF then watching 50 people zone in to try to JACK cazic. Get into a top tier guild and watch those 50 have front row seats to your kill. (true story btw) =D
Saw that on live all the time.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Skeleton

This was never a problem on PvP servers hehe.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This was never a problem on PvP servers hehe.
This guy knows what's up.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Orc

Greed, selfishness, poopsocking, squabbling and clusterfucks is not the superior system.

Those of us who were on Karana know better.

Getting hundreds of people to cooperate and agree on something is truely a glorious thing to behold.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Trimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Definitely. Barring legit reasons irl.
All that raiding and still no Red Face Paint? Tisk, I could always sell you a few of ours. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog View Post
Cats on the moon not happening on my watch.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Greed, selfishness, poopsocking, squabbling and clusterfucks is not the superior system.

Those of us who were on Karana know better.

Getting hundreds of people to cooperate and agree on something is truely a glorious thing to behold.
You're either very naive or just really frustrated if you thought this thread was going to melt hearts and cause teary eyes. Besides the fact that most of the top guilds aren't going to care, there are other factors involved in why this doesn't happen on other servers besides Karana. One of the mains ones, without getting into great detail, is having to deal with people who lack coordination, dedication, and have any sort of awareness to complete a raid, aka noobs. There's a reason the top guilds are on the top, and most of them are from some of the characteristics I mentioned. I'm sure other people mentioned this stuff already.

I'm sorry to say but this thread is going nowhere fast. You can say my attitude is what's wrong with the server blah blah blah. I'm just being realistic. Not to mention this isn't the first time this has been brought up in the history of EQ.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Kobold

So for the past month or so I've been talking to various guilds about a "Calendar Alliance". Vesica Dei, The Mystical Order, Divinity, Blackwater, Darkwind, Bregan D'Aerth, Peace Pipe, Dark Ascension, yes even IB. All guilds capable of doing at the very least planar raids, some minibosses, and some the big boys.

All at the very least "interested" in seeing an alternative to poopsocking. Or an alternative to the constant friction on the server.

I've also spent considerable time doing research online trying to find what made Rotations work/fail in the past. I've looked at probably 10 different systems (including the one used here on P99 back in the day).

The general consensus is this:

Everquest is about general respect for the community as a whole. We are all here playing on P99 becuz for whatever reason it may be, we want to have fun in a game we enjoyed for so many years in the past. Some people have fun doing the batphone mob domination. Some are more casual and just enjoy the social aspect of the game. Some just enjoy flipping items in EC.

Regardless, in order for a Calendar System to work - it needs to be based on 1 simple principle. Respect.

Smaller guilds need to respect the size, ability, and desires of the bigger guilds. And the bigger guilds need to respect the fact that some guilds just simply don't have the time to batphone members at 5am, or have 15 people sitting in Permafrost for days on end, yet still have the ability to do the mob in question.

In order for a calendar system to work properly - it needs to address both sides of the argument. You need to make sure the larger guilds are able to maintain considerable leverage on certain raid targets. You need to make sure the "thrill of the chase" is not removed from the game. And you need to also respect the fact that small and mid-sized guilds would also like to experience some of this content from time to time.

If guilds monopolize the top - they get too big. And then they implode (see Dozekar/Blackwater/Inglorious Basterds). It happened on Live all the time.

You WILL eventually close your doors for recruitment, at which point if people don't have anywhere to go or anything to do, the future for your own guild gets bleaker and bleaker. Suddenly you hafta re-gear every 3 months a new wave of recruits becuz you never gave anyone else the opportunity to do anything. You slow yourself down in the long run.

You cut your own wrists by cutting off everyone else.

I'm working on something that I think will appeal to all sides.

Fact of the matter is - everyone can benefit from a Calendar in one way or another. If you hafta perma camp trackers in every zone, you lose that person for ports/raids.

If you have to constantly squabble in Hate/Fear, it only takes that much longer to gear up members (or back-flag whatever the case may be). Accidental trains, having to work pulls around other guilds, having other guilds pull your mob mid-pull becuz you feign the adds, whatever. It only adds time and effort where there doesn't need to be.

You can have the same 4 guilds fight for Hate 4 nights in a row. Everyone taking that much longer to get shit done becuz you hafta work around other guilds. Or you can each have 1 night to yourself. It's more efficient. It just makes sense.

Like I said tho - the problem with rotations in the past is too often, EVERY mob is put on a SET rotation. (ie Guild A does Vox, then becuz there are 9 other guilds in line hafta wait 2 months for another Vox raid). That's not FAIR for the big guns.

I've got an idea (or rather I should say a combination of other peoples ideas) that I think, at the very least, is worth consideration.

I've been gathering email addresses of officers/guildleaders and should shoot out a rough draft within a week or so (holidays). But like I said - we are all here to have fun. And nobody is asking for Rusty Long Swords to have the same amount of Vox kills as IB or DA over the course of a month. But some moderation would do the server good.

It would cut down on the poopsocking.
It would cut down on GM /petitions.
It would cut down on general pettiness over the stupidest shit.
It would free up MORE time to do things your guild wants to do.

Big or small, this game has alwayz been about Risk vs Reward. It's also been about Time in versus Reward out. But there is a flaw in the system when no matter how much time people put in, there is no reward.

It's up to us, the community, to have the foresight to at least CONSIDER an option, when presented, that can benefit the server.

<The Mystical Order>

Alts:
[34 Wizard] Motlee Crue (Human) <The Mystical Order>
[4 Wizard] Aysee Deecee (Human) <The Mystical Order>
[2 Wizard] Vhan Halen (Human) <The Mystical Order>

Live - Tallon Zek 2000-2005 / Drinal 2007-2008
[80 Sorcerer] Acillatem Zoso (Human) <Knights of the White Rose> / <Veritable Quandary>
Closed Thread