Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by regandna [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That sounds about right. They had a bigger budget from Sony, and thus a larger team of developers. I would say Pantheon is likely working with about 50% of that capacity, at best.
People in <Venerate> were getting ready for Pantheon years ago. That thrill has come and gone for me. Yes its probably a fraction of the team size and funding. EQ was an unproven genre and it required a 3D accelerator card, so while SONY is huge that doesn't matter if the product isn't interesting.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:04 PM
Planar Protector

EQ was made in the span of three years (1996-1999) for something on the order of 15 million, I believe. That does not include expansions. Pantheon is a scratch project compared to that, especially when accounting for inflation between then and now. According to rumor Pantheon has also re-booted itself and effectively started over a couple times now, explaining its continued "pre-alpha" state.

P99 has had at least a couple of guilds for folks waiting for Pantheon. At least one of them dated from early 2014. I can't say I'm holding my breath for Pantheon or have particularly high hopes for it, but I'm not going to go around trashing it either. It costs me nothing to check on its progress a couple times a year and who knows, it may one day surprise me.

Danth
Old 12-28-2020, 08:15 PM
Banned

Yes, there was a time that I could judge something in the computer world based on money but I think that time is pretty much gone now. I know I don't focus on technology like I once did and when the industry pushed 4k they lost me. Lately I have been playing Kenshi, which took over a decade and its made with a very old engine. So who am I to judge value based on money anymore with this hobby.

I have done my share of Pantheon bashing here. Sorry guys, they are not doing this to me again. I already went through this stuff with Vanguard and EQ2. I have kept an eye on MMORPGs over the years and the trends do not favor something good because of the money invested. When Landmark and Next were announced I gave up on EQ as anything good for me.

Pantheon being the next EQ due to Brad, well.. I have seen this show before. Aside from Brad and a few EQ sound effects.. I mean.. nothing says EQ when I see the streams.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:02 PM
Kobold

Pantheon, the best game never made! A pure world of imagination.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:12 PM
Banned

Also original EQ had a custom sound font for the AWE32/Soundblaster Live! cards. I can't even get any specialized joy like that these days with everything being generic.

Hey you got a potato or pawn shop laptop? come play our game. Next gen

Hey we got rid of the cd drive as well, it looks like an even more generic wal-mart device! woop come play our amazing new games.. that share an engine with a mobile phone! p-p-p-progress!

I know the name of EQ's cover artist, Keith Parkinson. Who is the cover artist for Pantheon? does it have a cover coming.. so cheap so flimsy, faster cheaper faster cheaper faster cheaper.. so we can bring you great bargain deals.. faster cheaper faster cheaper.. come play our games. Faster cheaper faster cheaper but somehow progressively start taking a decade to make.. faster cheaper so we can bring you great games but cost more in marketing than the game.. faster cheaper faster cheaper
Old 12-28-2020, 11:32 PM
Planar Protector

How much is the donation to get 50% bonus xp, endless bag slots, and a giant statue of yourself in the newbie yard?
Old 12-28-2020, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

If Pantheon happens I'll definitely give it a shot. If it doesn't - p99 will suffice for another year or two at least. Star Citizen Squadron 42 is at the top of my want list thanks to my Wing Commander memories. If that doesn't happen - well, I lived through 2020 (so far) I suspect I'll make it through that. For now feel free to hit me up for 90% on Green or 96% on Blue.

-Mcoy
Old 12-29-2020, 12:01 AM
Skeleton

I don't play any games that don't have a 7 figure ante, don't want to end up playing with all the p99 riffraff. but post a link to their RnF, and let people judge for themselves if it with worth their tears.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:25 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ was made in the span of three years (1996-1999) for something on the order of 15 million, I believe. That does not include expansions. Pantheon is a scratch project compared to that, especially when accounting for inflation between then and now. According to rumor Pantheon has also re-booted itself and effectively started over a couple times now, explaining its continued "pre-alpha" state.

P99 has had at least a couple of guilds for folks waiting for Pantheon. At least one of them dated from early 2014. I can't say I'm holding my breath for Pantheon or have particularly high hopes for it, but I'm not going to go around trashing it either. It costs me nothing to check on its progress a couple times a year and who knows, it may one day surprise me.

Danth
Well said.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How much is the donation to get 50% bonus xp, endless bag slots, and a giant statue of yourself in the newbie yard?
It'll probably release as free to play lol
Closed Thread