Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Account buying, selling, or trading has always been frowned upon. Safest bet is to always play your own character.
Frowned upon is such an ambiguous term. Why do the staff dance around this subject? This isnt meant as a jab on the staff, I'm merely curious.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

Step 1: Start on p99
Step 2: Read stickies
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit
Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systolic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because the account had a 45 Monk, a 43 Cleric, a 35 Enchanter, and a 30 something mage, so I figured it would give me the chance to play several classes I was interested in without having to level everything up individually.
I'm confused.

So this account, with the highest character a 45 Monk then a 43 Cleric, a 35 Enchanter, and a 30 something mage "acquired a healthy chunk of gear and cash"?

Not even a druid cash cow?

Hmmmm
Old 05-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsallkillandy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frowned upon is such an ambiguous term. Why do the staff dance around this subject? This isnt meant as a jab on the staff, I'm merely curious.
you give them a relatively safe place to do it, and you can prevent it from transforming into RMT
Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsallkillandy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because they have no way to stop it.

If you have suggestions, I'm sure they would love to hear them. Some ideas have already been researched, but a workable solution has not been found.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
'Frowned upon' was the classic term for cases like this, if I remember correctly.

I'm not dancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have always been opposed to characters being sold or traded. Alas, opposed is not the equivalent of condemned; at least not yet. My official stance to date has been these instances are 'frowned upon'.

When I initially launched the server, there were far more pressing matters on which to attend than policing trades. However, cases of players petitioning they were cheated on deals involving shared or traded accounts, I have declined to offer my assistance. Character sales or trades currently fall under 'at your own risk' situations.

That being said, there will come a time where this is against server rules. I hope that time is sooner than later, but heed this warning. Do not have your account in escrow, trade, or consignment for extended periods of time.

You might ask, how can we stop this? Whether it be through linked forum accounts, access codes, etc, I would prefer to prevent these situations than to seemingly condone them.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Aviak

The point of this thread was to warn new and / or unaware players that buying an account is a dangerous thing to do. Those of us who have been around for a while already know about the endless possibilities that come with account trading/selling/buying. Posts like this should be considered as valuable feedback and not turned into arguements or interrogations. If no one at all made posts like this then nobody would be aware of the risks.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
starting from scratch is the best part.
Agreed, getting a full set of leather/banded/bronze on your first char is far more exciting than buying that 7th twink alt a CoF could ever be.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systolic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I understand that now.

The whole reason I made the thread was to give a real example of the kinds of things that happen when you buy accounts. I'm trying to be helpful, please don't jump down my throat about it. The realization that I have to start from scratch again is bad enough.
I'm not jumping down your throat. I stated the lesson succinctly. I also provided you an alternative to account trading:
1) Create L1.
2) Use assets to purchase PL.
3) Save PP from account sale.

Think about it, most 55+ accounts are 100k+, considering you can purchase PLs for ~2k/level (on average, but realistically weighted from least expensive low levels to expensive higher levels) and you can still have a 50+ account for <100k with <2 days /played. And you'll KNOW its not flagged to be banned. And you'll get exactly the name you want.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The point of this thread was to warn new and / or unaware players that buying an account is a dangerous thing to do. Those of us who have been around for a while already know about the endless possibilities that come with account trading/selling/buying. Posts like this should be considered as valuable feedback and not turned into arguements or interrogations. If no one at all made posts like this then nobody would be aware of the risks.
Pretty sure nobody here is grilling the fellow, but more or less trying to add to the warning itself.

Plus, I truly would like to see this fellow play again from the beginning [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread